Mini ITX - Ncase M1 with ATX PSU

Proglin

Limp Gawd
Case reference: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717132

Cable Management

I was worried about space between GPU and PSU cable
(example from Necere: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039811068&postcount=2261)

Some pictures after cable management with my PSU (removed 2 cables that I won´t use and some tricks to make them smaller). Now I´m just waiting to buy a GPU

General view:
XW53j8g.jpg

Motherboard power cables detail
93I5xSQ.jpg

Sata, GPU power, front USB, power led/switch, front mic/audio detail
7RRy5Zc.jpg

2 sata drives detail
SFotd2N.jpg

Back side detail
gApKE3R.jpg

Awesomeness level is Exceedingly high!

Did you shorten the cables? or is it just neatly tucked between the PSU and front of the case. It looks like you went in and sleeved the cables too? which could suggest that you did shorten them?

Power Supply Cable MOD

Before start cable management I realise it will make possible a long GPU if I mod PSU cables. I was planning to cut unused cables and shorten others, but, when I opened the PSU case I figure out it was possible to use empty space inside it. So I didnt need to cut and splice to make them shorten :)

Pictures:

CX500 with lot of cables

SlgqhYj.jpg

MiniITX case looking like octopus

oB5rwlV.png

Opened CX500 (bye bye warranty) -
ref: http://i.pcworld.fr/1256005-corsair-cx500-alimentation-5.jpg

RWcd7gQ.png

Two cables removed and cable curl

WbdpeRA.png

Zoom inside PSU (look some cables missing near top left corner)

i1SVkSE.png

Work completed!

BQjh3sG.png

Great job!

Brilliant solution. Much safer than de-soldering as long as it doesn't block air flow inside a psu.

How did you remove the cables? Did you just cut them off or desolder them (can't tell in the pic)?

Hey Proglin,
Do you think you could mark the area where the cuts were made for us less learned folks. I dont know much about the internals of a psu to see where the removal was made. Your mod has me intrigued. Thanks in advance.

Hey Proglin,
Do you think you could mark the area where the cuts were made for us less learned folks. I dont know much about the internals of a psu to see where the removal was made. Your mod has me intrigued. Thanks in advance.

Yes, take a look above. Can you see 3 wires missing?

7JuojET.jpg

Yeah, I was wondering if it was those three or not. Wasn't sure so had to ask. Thanks for the info. :)

Just waiting my GPU arrive. Unfortunally it is not an 280X.

3 new fans:

qwQSrO8.jpg

2x 92mm
1x 120mm

I was planning Gigabyte R9 280x because of its size, but bitcoin miners bought all and they became rare to find or very expensive. So I bought Pny gtx 770. I can't find reviews about it, but was a good PCB size. This gpu is coming with my friend. Let's see if it worth. Have tried any from pny? What gpu r u planning?

edit: i think i understand now, i was confused by the picture at first. but you have some of the psu cables wrapped around from behind and over the top the psu

PSU Replace

I started to face same problem describe by Megalith in this topic: PSU squealing? so I decided to give another chance to my old CoolerMaster 550 PSU.

Unfortunally it dosen´t have many space inside to hide cables. So I try to hide cables inside M1 case. As you can see there is a good place below motherboard:

zmOgjWT.jpg

4WVVvcA.jpg

I wanted to use a standard ATX power supply because of the larger fan size, but by chance I came across this:

Nexus_NX-5000V1

It's a standard ATX form factor, but it is shorter - 125mm instead of 140mm. Apart from the fact it comes with excessive numbers of cables, it looks ideal and would free up a bit more room. 120mm fan is built in and its 85+ efficient across most of the range.

A review here

It is a good option if it is silent or have a good price. It is easier to deal with mobo power cables coming from PSU and GPU because of the extra 25mm. It should be great if it was modular with this size.

Using a regular ATX PSU size is not so complicated. If this one is more expensive or noiser I think it is better to go to a SFX PSU fan pulling air from outside

Final?

Byi3A5P.jpg

Later I post pics showing final (or temporarly final) case build

Back