Mini ITX H67 Silent Gaming System

Noiseblocker PK-1 & Enermax UCTB14
Thanks for the answer.
Both are low speed fans. I was trying to put a high speed fan as intake, to put @max when playing games and low speed during daily use. So far, both the Scythe Kaze Maru2 and NoiseBlocker PK-3 were acceptably noisy when at max but ticking when undervolted.
The stock LianLi 14cm is a 1,000RPM fan, moves some air with low noise and undervots nicely to 500-600 in total silence. So far so good, but I thought to install the HD cage in front of the fan with 2x1GB RAID0, so more air would be ok when gaming.
Maybe a high speed Yate-Loon...

Last edited:
I wonder if the NoiseBlocker PK-3 is ticking because of the fan controller. I'm running a PK-3 and it is super smooth when undervolted.

I wonder if the NoiseBlocker PK-3 is ticking because of the fan controller. I'm running a PK-3 and it is super smooth when undervolted.
I got a great point!:eek:
I'm seriously thinking that the Crystalfontz SCAB controller can be the cause of the ticking issue.
Reading carefully the specs:
Using a PWM to control fan speed is generally accepted; however we make no claims that it is compatible with any particular fan or that it does not affect the lifetime of the fans. Some higher torque fans (especially the ballbearing models) may click, buzz, or growl at low power settings due to the torque in the fan going from positive to negative in each PWM cycle.
Thus, the Crystalfontz SCAB controller tunes fan speed by PWM, not rheostat...
Here, a brief report of my experiences with the fans I tried on when underpowered:

1. LianLi 14cm front intake (max at 1,000RPM): no problems:D
  2. LianLi 12cm top exhaust (max at 1,600RPM): no problems:D
  3. Rosewill 12cm RFA-120-K top exhaust (max 1,600RPM): no problems:D
  4. Scythe Kaze-Jyuni 12cm tested as top exhaust (max at 1,600RPM): ticking:mad:
  5. Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Maru2 140 series 14cm tested as front intake and top exhaust (max at 1,700RPM): ticking:mad:
  6. Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slim 12cm SY1212SL12H-V with voltage regulator stock on Setsugen2 (max at 2,000RPM): didn't start:mad::mad::mad:
  7. Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slim 12cm SY1212SL12H WITHOUT voltage regulator on Setsugen2 (max at 2,000RPM): no problems:D
  8. NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-3 14cm front intake (max at 1,700RPM): ticking:mad:
It's still difficult to me to figure out whether the problem is the Cystalfontz or the 2 14cm fans that I tested here (the Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Maru2 140 and the NoiseBlocker PK-3):confused:
If I consider only the experience with the 14cm fans, it seems that the high torque ones suffered of the ticking, while the low velocity LianLi didn't.
But if I look at the 12cm fans, I got a 1,600RPM fan that was ticking (the Scythe Kaze Jyuni) and others that didn't (the stock LianLi and the Rosewill).
It becomes more complicated when considering the slim Scythe 12cm ones that, when worked, didn't make any ticking even at 2,000RPM:rolleyes:
I suppose that the slim fans have lower torque, anyways.
Still elaborating about it!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just an update on temperatures.
I ran a level of Crysis2 at max settings and 1680x1050 on my Acer 22".
I was a little scared at the beginning, since Crysis2 is quite a demanding game...:eek:
Instead, I got phenomenal temps, considering the tiny case and the thin aftermarket VGA cooler:
gpuzsensorlog.jpg

Each vertical line represents a minute of gaming (INTENSE GAMING, I had to kick some asses with my nanosuit:D) for a total of 29 mintues.
VERY HAPPY!!!:D:D:D

very nice man, really makes me want to do a m-itx build and nice temps from that gpu! temps are pretty amazing in that little case(which is awesome btw)

super build!, thanks for the info in this thread,

I'm doing a similar build just not as beefy, ATM I don't have a GPU but might get one later, the Thermalright AXP-140 seems a good choice for cooling and give you that extra option if you want to upgrade later on.

couple of things:
Can I get few pics of the space between the AXP-140 and your PSU?
I have some G.Skill sticks with medium sinks, will I have to mod them? (my RAM)

very nice man, really makes me want to do a m-itx build and nice temps from that gpu! temps are pretty amazing in that little case(which is awesome btw)
Thank you, bamaland, I'm really satisfied and surprised how cool the Setsuge2 keeps the GPU processor and how the Enzotech ramsinks perform on the memory and VRMs.
These temps are from stock settings, next steps will be:

1. Overclock with MSI afterburner;)
  2. Try flashing the BIOS to 6970, once again:p
  3. If the new BIOS is stable, overclock 20% more:eek:
I'll keep you posted!

super build!, thanks for the info in this thread,

I'm doing a similar build just not as beefy, ATM I don't have a GPU but might get one later, the Thermalright AXP-140 seems a good choice for cooling and give you that extra option if you want to upgrade later on.

couple of things:
Can I get few pics of the space between the AXP-140 and your PSU?
I have some G.Skill sticks with medium sinks, will I have to mod them? (my RAM)
You are right, the AXP-140 is a GREAT cooler!:cool:
Just a little tight between the back of the mobo and the DVD cage... I have some mild trimming to perform on the 5.25" bay cage to make the side panel opening easier. So far, it's a nightmare even think about opening it!:(
Also, the stock fan gives a powerful blows on the MoBo components, but I feel it too noisy at max (1,600RPM). Still thinking about a good substitute...
Here the space between the AXP and the PSU
newcooling04.jpg

I find it enough to allow a decent air passage. My 2600K (stock frequencies, of course), never goes over 48C! Dunno when gaming, I'll check out, but the sensors on the crystalfontz never show an increase higher than 10C during gaming...
About the RAM tolerance, it's 40.2mm, measure carefully your modules...
axp140size.jpg

Thanks.

I hoped to get the ECS H67, because of the full size mini-PCIe, low price (I suppose), clean back CPU for CPU heatsink backplate, and very helpful communication when asked about P67/Z68 ETA; but their H67 will be on the market only at the end of Jun 2011!

i'm also looking to get this ECS board, but how did you confirm that it will not hit the shelves until end of june?

Instead of struggling with undervolting high rmp fans, why dont you consider using some strong, quiet fans at 100% all the time. IMO its the only solution for a sff all out air build like yours (and mine)

heres a few that should do you well http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_845&products_id=27090

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_843&products_id=28382

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_848&products_id=22818

I just received a 120mm and have used 80mm variants of the enermax and was very impressed

used 120mm variant of the scythe and it was true to form on its silence, and decent air

I have that exact yate, and it is the loudest of the three but still very quiet compared to what you are running, and has good cfm/static

@ Mousemagician

Cheers! :D

@ All

I've got two Wing Boost fan's in my build and I love them, I might get another 140mm for the AXP and PWM them all up :cool:

i'm also looking to get this ECS board, but how did you confirm that it will not hit the shelves until end of june?
I don't recall...:rolleyes:
I read it somewhere; what I'm sure of is that, when I read about this ETA, there was no reference.
You can send an email to ECS USA asking it, they responded to my immediately and thoroughly.
I'm sorry that I couldn't purchase the ECS H67H2-I, but I hope I can get their Z68!;)

I did email them and jun 1 is what the product manager told me

"I was wondering if there is a release date on the b3 release of this board? I am looking for an itx board with the 24pin placement and mini sata that this board has. but I need to make my purchase soon. So if you guys are going to be releasing it in the near future I can wait.

Any info would be awesome.

Thanks guys,

Chris Wall"

"Chris,

My earliest release date for this product is now June 1st.

Thanks

Vincent Wu
ECS Elitegroup Inc."

Instead of struggling with undervolting high rmp fans, why dont you consider using some strong, quiet fans at 100% all the time. IMO its the only solution for a sff all out air build like yours (and mine)

heres a few that should do you well http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_845&products_id=27090

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_843&products_id=28382

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_848&products_id=22818

I just received a 120mm and have used 80mm variants of the enermax and was very impressed

used 120mm variant of the scythe and it was true to form on its silence, and decent air

I have that exact yate, and it is the loudest of the three but still very quiet compared to what you are running, and has good cfm/static
Your point makes sense, but I'd rather keep the stock fans than going for any low speeds. At this level, the stock LianLi fans are powerful and silent enough.
If I had to pick one among the 3 that you listed, I would try the Scythe: the high velocity one that I try impressed me more than the NoiseBlocker as amount of air moved compared to noise.
Even the Enarmax is appealing... About the Yate Loon, never tried one of them, but I suppose that they are more noisy.

I did email them and jun 1 is what the product manager told me

"I was wondering if there is a release date on the b3 release of this board? I am looking for an itx board with the 24pin placement and mini sata that this board has. but I need to make my purchase soon. So if you guys are going to be releasing it in the near future I can wait.

Any info would be awesome.

Thanks guys,

Chris Wall"

"Chris,

My earliest release date for this product is now June 1st.

Thanks

Vincent Wu
ECS Elitegroup Inc."
Yes, Vincent of ECS USA is very helpful.
That's good marketing!
Thanks for sharing, anyways.

Something I tried with my PC-Q08R ... I ditched the original fans (the RED LED ones) and did the following:

AXP-140 fan --> front intake - reason, it's 140mm and has the right screw holes, no LED
Noctua NF-P14 --> CPU cooler - same size fan as original but 120mm mounting, the original mounting wires work though
Noctua NF-P12 --> top extraction - reason, I already had it although from what I read the S12 version is a little better for exhaust

All fans were lowered in speed by using the Noctua in-line adapters ... can't remember which ones where but the loudest thing was my GPU, 5870v1.

Last edited:
Something I tried with my PC-Q08R ... I ditched the original fans (the RED LED ones) and did the following:

AXP-140 fan --> front intake - reason, it's 140mm and has the right screw holes, no LED
Noctua NF-P14 --> CPU cooler - same size fan as original but 120mm mounting, the original mounting wires work though
Noctua NF-P12 --> top extraction - reason, I already had it although from what I read the S12 version is a little better for exhaust

All fans were lowered in speed by using the Noctua in-line adapters ... can't remember which ones where but the loudest thing was my GPU, 5870v1.
I think you did very well putting the TR 14cm fan in the front intake and switched the PSU fan with the Noctua. I like the NF-P12 as well as exhaust.;)
Couple questions:

1. Didn't you get the 14 to 12cm adapter with the purchase of the NF-P14? If it's so, you could have installed the Noctua 14cm in the intake as well.
  2. How was the mounting of the NF-P14 onto the APX-140? Any problems with the round shape of the fan and the mounting clips?
  3. Ever had problems opening and putting back the side panel of the case with the AXP-140 installed?
Thank you.

did the gigabyte allow the 1600 mem? or does it underclock? (because obviously its not a 'p' board)

did the gigabyte allow the 1600 mem? or does it underclock? (because obviously its not a 'p' board)
So far I got a native 1333 MHz. Didn't have time to play around with RAM and CPU.
Still busy with RAID, fan settings, software installation...:p
Anyways, it's coming out a hell of mini machine... Really impressed!:cool:
And the Z68 is not released yet!:eek:

Last edited:
I think you did very well putting the TR 14cm fan in the front intake and switched the PSU fan with the Noctua. I like the NF-P12 as well as exhaust.;)
Couple questions:

1. Didn't you get the 14 to 12cm adapter with the purchase of the NF-P14? If it's so, you could have installed the Noctua 14cm in the intake as well.
  2. How was the mounting of the NF-P14 onto the APX-140? Any problems with the round shape of the fan and the mounting clips?
  3. Ever had problems opening and putting back the side panel of the case with the AXP-140 installed?
Thank you.

Yes I did get the adapters with the P14 ... could I find them when it came time to install, nope :) That's the reason I tried it the other way and was very happy with the results.

Mounting the P14 to the APX was simple, you will notice another set of notches in the wires that hold the original fan, these are for 120mm fans ... and fit the P14 perfectly.

No problems with the side panel so not sure what you mean there.

From memory I used the black Noctua in-line adapters to lower the speed (had plenty of them from other older installs) ... and I even used my old Silent Cell 9800GT for a while and you could hardly tell that it was on!

It was with a H55N-USB3 and i5-760 that I've now moved to a SG05. Going to rebuild the PC-Q08R with SB later in the year when the Z67 ITX shows up and looks reliable.

Some upgrades about fan settings:
After posting about the difficulties with the NoiseBlocker PK-3, I received a private message from damnathan saying:
damnathan said:
Have you tried a Yate Loon High-Speed 140mm before? I've not tried undervolting one myself yet, but I have access to them and I could look into it if you'd like.

-Nathan
I replied that I was glad to receive his help.:)
From following messages, damnatan told me that he works with Koolertek, and he offered to assist me to resolve this ticking issue.:eek:
I was really surprised, since I didn't look for Koolerteck postmarketing assistance and, honestly, I was quite discouraged to contact them because of their return policy:
Defective items are returnable for exchange with same product only. We will not accept requests to substitute a different product for a returned defective item.
It was clearly stated that I couldn't change the PK-3 with another model or brand, so I was thinking how to fix this situation...:confused:
One additional message from damnatan showed me, instead, that their willingness to help unhappy customer is a big deal to them:
damnathan said:
I was wondering about the video you posted a link to of the PK undervolted...is it the loud knocking sound you're referring to, or the more muted helicopter-ish sound? Just wanted to double-check, because that knocking sound is pretty loud and no fan should be making that noise ;)

While we (Koolertek) can't really do returns on fans due to small noise issues....we'd end up with tons of returns over random fan noises and be out a lot of money as a result...I might be able to work out some kind of discount or credit or something for you. I just really don't like having unhappy customers. I pretty much just want you to have something that you're happy with.

-Nathan
This is something that I didn't expect...:eek:
Today, I received a new NB NK-2, for free, free shipping, and you know what?
IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!:cool:
Silent, it moves more air than the original LianLi in absolute silence... Moreover, it underpowers smoothly, with no ticking!
Cannot be more happy:D:D:D
Thank you damnatan, and thank you Koolertek... you got a faithful customer!!!;)
Now, I'm going to place an order for another PK-2 to put on the AXP-140, and a Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm for the exhaust on the top.
My little beast is getting a lecture of silence!:eek:

Last edited:
Yes I did get the adapters with the P14 ... could I find them when it came time to install, nope :) That's the reason I tried it the other way and was very happy with the results.

Mounting the P14 to the APX was simple, you will notice another set of notches in the wires that hold the original fan, these are for 120mm fans ... and fit the P14 perfectly.

No problems with the side panel so not sure what you mean there.

From memory I used the black Noctua in-line adapters to lower the speed (had plenty of them from other older installs) ... and I even used my old Silent Cell 9800GT for a while and you could hardly tell that it was on!

It was with a H55N-USB3 and i5-760 that I've now moved to a SG05. Going to rebuild the PC-Q08R with SB later in the year when the Z67 ITX shows up and looks reliable.
frankle, thank you for your detailed description of how you set your system with these good fans.
Glad to know that the clips of the AXP-140 are compatible with 12cm fans.:)
Thanks;)

Okay, after tuning this little monster, here you are my final (almost) hardware set up:

Case: LianLi PC-Q08 black

Case Fans:
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K LGA 1155

CPU heatsink: Thermalright AXP-140 RT

Fan for CPU heatsink: Noise Blocker BlackSilentPro PK-2 140mm, 1,200 RPM, 54.7 CFM

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB), 240-pin, DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

RAM heatsinks: Enzotech DDR-C1 RAM Forged Copper RAM Headspreaders

VGA: XFX HD-695A-CNFC (HD6950 2GB)

VGA heatsink: Scythe Setsugen 2 Low Profile

Fan for VGA heatsink: Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slim 120mm, 2000 RPM, 45.47 CFM

VGA Memory/VMR Cooling: Enzotech BCC9 Low PRofile Forged Copper BGA Ramsinks and Enzotech MOS-C1 Forged Copper MOSFET Heatsinks

HD:

System Display controller: Crystalfontz DB635-AKTMF-KU3

Some BENCHMARKS:

PCMark Vantage x64:
pcmarkvantagebasic05291.jpg

VGA at stock settings:
3dmark11050811rating.jpg

3dmark11detailed050811.jpg

VGA after overclocking:
ccc20ocking052911.jpg

3dmark1120oced052911rat.jpg

3dmark1120oceddetaileds.jpg

VGA Temps during a session of Metro 2033, all maxed out, DX11:
gpuzmetro2300.jpg

CrystalDiskMark at IDE:
cmdc300ide.jpg

CrystalDiskMark at AHCI:
cdmc300ahci.jpg

My gaming accessories:
gamingaccessories.jpg

My videoludic corner:
desk01.jpg

After weeks of work, I can say that I'm totally satisfied with the final result!:D:D:D
This is a great small machine, with surprising performances!:cool:
Thanks to everyone who helped me during this building with suggestions, criticisms, and compliments.;)
It has been harder than expected, but it was worth it!

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I was one of the lucky people purchasing the Zotac Z68 ITX from the egg before it was sold out. It lasted online for almost 30 minutes!:eek:
Not so lucky, to say the truth...:( You'll see soon why.
The OLD (Gigabyte) and the NEW (Zotac) side to side:
023xw.jpg

005wcf.jpg

Look at the concave pattern of the thermal paste on CPU and AXP-140:
011yjq.jpg

011xxh.jpg

The WiFi card is vertical!
026ojz.jpg

Power switch, error display, and BIOS reset on board... very nice!
029xd.jpg

And now the big issue:
WILL THE BACKPLATE OF THE AXP-140 INTERFERE WITH THE CIRCUITS ON THE BACK OF THE BOARD????:confused::confused::confused:
032td.jpg

That's what I found out:
IN EACH CORNER, I PILED UP 2 O-RINGS (included with the AXP-140 assembling system)
040yo.jpg

Now I'm ready to load!
045kj.jpg

Here you are!
049sc.jpg

...and it's more roomy than the Gigabyte!:)
047x.jpg

The SATA 3 SSD, 2x1TB HD RAID 0, fan header, Cristalfontz connections... fine!
057t.jpg

Everything powered on, OK!
062ia.jpg

079vf.jpg

Guess what?
I GOT ELECTRICAL NOISE, A BAD ONE!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Some damn mosfet is defective...AAARGHH!!!!

Now, the MoBo is RMAd to Newegg, and I have to wait that it's back in stock.

My dear "old" Gigabyte ITX is back on duty!:p
I'll try to resist playing as many games as I can!:)

Keep in touch!

Last edited:
Guess what?
I GOT ELECTRICAL NOISE, A BAD ONE!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Some damn mosfet is defective...AAARGHH!!!!

Now, the MoBo is RMAd to Newegg, and I have to wait that it's back in stock.

My dear "old" Gigabyte ITX is back on duty!:p
I'll try to resist playing as many games as I can!:)

Keep in touch!
got the same problem whit my z68itx, currently waiting for a replacement :( hope it's not a "feature" of these boards...

got the same problem whit my z68itx, currently waiting for a replacement :( hope it's not a "feature" of these boards...
It seems it is, along with defective RAM slots reported by some people now...:(
At this moment I'm waiting for the full refund, since the board is back ordered all-over in USA.
I hold a little to see a B version, maybe...

It's unfortunate that Zotac is often first in the ITX market and, sometimes, is the only with a certain feature (e.g., 6 SATA ports) ... but you'd almost expect to RMA their mobos unless you bought >1 year after the initial release.

It seems it is, along with defective RAM slots reported by some people now...:(
At this moment I'm waiting for the full refund, since the board is back ordered all-over in USA.
I hold a little to see a B version, maybe...

Was the electrical noise only at load or was it continous? How loud was it? I have my board on the way and i would like to know what to look for.

Was the electrical noise only at load or was it continous? How loud was it? I have my board on the way and i would like to know what to look for.
It was constant under load, 70% of the time when idle.
It was a BZZZZZZ, acute but not very loud; anyways, unbearable to me (and I bet to the large majority of people).
I'm so disappointed that I don't want to think about changing my Gigabyte H67 with anything. Even because it's surprisingly performing, I mean it!;)

Well i hope to end run around the crap shoot. Superbiiz has a promotion code for free assembly and testing of new systems. For free they can assemble and test your parts. I am having them test for bad ram slots. I'm hoping that issue can be weeded out during testing. It also will make sure my ram I'm ordering has no compatibility problems with this board. :)

To Exocet956: anyway, I wish you to get a good Zotac Z68 to enjoy the fun of a kickass ITX form factor.:p

To Exocet956: anyway, I wish you to get a good Zotac Z68 to enjoy the fun of a kickass ITX form factor.:p

Thanks. Good luck to you. ITX is a very fun form factor to work with, but it can often be more challenging then its larger form factor brethren. ;)

How about the Intel DH67CFB3 together with the i5 2500K?
Would that be alright?

How about the Intel DH67CFB3 together with the i5 2500K?
Would that be alright?

I don't think it has any problems to speak of. Its just an average stable mobo basically from what I have heard. Like all H67 mobos it won't overclock worth beans so don't get it if you want to overclock.

Afaik there is no Mini iTX mobo existing that underclocks and undervolts, is there?

Back