Mini itx build in old '30s radio

So I still have heating issue when playing for a long time.

I need to have some more ventilation for the GPU.

I was thinking of removing the wood marked in red:
cutout1.JPG

And then install something from the front, in the area shown in read.
But what should it be, I was considering a metal speaker mesh? I mean it needs to create a nice finish with the fabric somehow.
Any good suggestions?
cutout2.JPG

View attachment 390428

But what should it be, I was considering a metal speaker mesh? I mean it needs to create a nice finish with the fabric somehow.
Any good suggestions?
View attachment 390429
speaker grill and then then paint it to match the brass/gold color would look right. could use speaker cloth behind it so you dont see the guts but still have airflow and will give the illusion of a speaker behind it.

This might be an unpopular option, but reduce clocks and voltages on cpu and gpu. In the past I've hated my small builds because of heat issues... There sometimes just is no replacement for displacement.
Best of luck with the other options.

So giving it another shot with a semi hacked AIO cooling loop.

Got a kraken G12 cheap and a arctic liquid freezer 120 with the big 50mm radiator.

So modded the Intel bracket on the GPU pump to fit the Kraken g12 brackets:
DSC_0987.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

However I need to angle the outlets. The AIO H60 has angled hose connections. I found a cheap one that I will pick out tomorrow. Hopefully I can move those to the Arctic freezer.

Ordered some new clear hose, liquid, hose clamps etc.

Plan is to run CPU and GPU on the big radiator in a custom hacked AIO loop. I will try and use both pumps and if that fails I will buy a standalone pump.

View attachment 390428

Any good suggestions?
View attachment 390429
Remove the wood if you must. put in a metal speaker grille under the fabric. might need to make little recesses for the metal grille hold downs with a drill bit.

Last edited:
Remove the wood if you must. put in a metal speaker grille under the fabric. might need to make little recesses for the metal grille hold downs with a drill bit.
Noted if I go back to that idea.

However I think for now I will try with water cooling of both GPU + CPU and see if that can keep temps down.

Noted if I go back to that idea.

However I think for now I will try with water cooling of both GPU + CPU and see if that can keep temps down.
Water should help move the heat outside the case. Hopefully fast enough your issue goes on it's way.

So got two Corsair H60 today for 15€.

Gutted the first to get the angled connectors since the straight ones on the Arctic liquid freezer 120 won't fit in the case.

DSC_0990.JPG

DSC_0988.JPG

First issue was that the straight connectors was OD 9.7mm and the angled one where 10.5mm.

So after a bit grinding I managed to get them to fit. They need some slight smaller o-rings. I have some ø7.5x1.3 at work that should do the trick.
DSC_0989.JPG

DSC_0992.JPG

Next step was to cutout for the angled connectors in the lid:
DSC_0991.JPG

And then the locking bracket:
DSC_0993.JPG

Finally the lid:
DSC_0994.JPG

Hoses and liquid cooling etc should arrive on Monday.

Also tested the Arctic cooler on the GPU and did a stress test. The GPU hot spot temp did not go above 46°C and fan was only running at 45%

So my little custom loop started out great, but it turned sideways pretty fast.
First the radiator would not clear the noctua fan so changed that to a low 12mm fan from scytche. But still missing 1mm clearance so need to drill the mounting holes a bit bigger.
DSC_1012.JPG

Moved on and installed the GPU cooler
DSC_1013.JPG

Next step was the hoses
DSC_1014.JPG

The spend a lot of flushing with MiliQ water and then coolant and bleeding.

Then I turned on the pumps and the GPU pump had died. So decided to disassemble the GPU and CPU head and remove the rotors.

DSC_1016.JPG

DSC_1017.JPG

Then I ordered DC-LT alphacool pump (3600 rpm version) and small reservoir from alphacool.

52200_0.jpg

49061_1_600x600.jpg

Just need fittings and then I need to make a small bracket for the pump+res. With the new reservoir it should also be a lot easier to bleed the system.

More to come next week since it is back to waiting for parts.

Attachments

• DSC_1013.JPG
    DSC_1013.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 0
Due to the big size of the new radiator and the fact that I needed a bracket for the res+pump i decided to make a bracket that will hold the pump and fit a 92mm intake fan. This away I dont have to modify the PMMA backplate.
Pump bracket.JPG

Also create a new fan shroud for the GFX, that can hose a small 60mm fan to cool the Vram.
New GFX shroud.JPG

So stripped the pump from my Cooler Master ML120 and I also changed my motherboard to a brand new Asus instead. The old Biostar kept crashing.

Got my pump bracket / fan adapter:
DSC_1037.JPG

DSC_1034.JPG

DSC_1038.JPG

So playing CSGO for a couple of hours with this setup I see around 62°C on CPU and around 50°C on GPU. So it is working really well.

Now I just need to tweak my fan control a bit.

So adjusted the fan shroud a bit so the 60mm fan is moved a bit more back to get better airflow over the VRAM:
DSC_1039.JPG

As pendragon1 suggested I will install a custom grill and fit a Scythe 100x100x12 mm inside the grill.

Started by removing the wood crops:
DSC_1040.JPG

Then I made a wood mould so I can press a grill out that will fit. I managed to get some 0,8mm thick alu sheet with 2mm holes.

This was the trial one where I just jumped on the mould.
Think I need something with hydraulics to press it out nicely.

DSC_1041.JPG

It was a little to big, so will try and make it a bit smaller and then paint it black when it is finished.
DSC_1042.JPG

I admire your dedication hemandk.
Looking forward to seeing how your final revision turns out!

Reactions: travm
like this
So finally got some wires from RS components:
DSC_1085.JPG

So I redid the CPU 8 pin cable and added a small cable holder to keep it nice and tidy:
DSC_1086.JPG

DSC_1087.JPG

Next up will be the 24 pin at cable.

Then I'm ready to reassemble into the case.

Also ended going with alphacools DC-LT ultra low noise pump since the high performance was way to noisy. Made very little if any change in performance.

Last edited:
Got around to mounting the painted grill and the modified scythe fan:
DSC_1120.JPG

DSC_1121.JPG

But ran into a small issue that I cannot get the hole assembly all the way in. I think it is hitting the grill :(

An inspiring level of dedication to get it to the finish line.

Have you considered painting the black grill the dull yellow hessian fabric color?

An inspiring level of dedication to get it to the finish line.

Have you considered painting the black grill the dull yellow hessian fabric color?
I did not consider that to be honest, but not a bad idea.

Back