Mini-ITX build: Help on knowing what to put where, please. =)

uluvbs

Limp Gawd
Hi, all.

I've hit two snags with putting together my Lian-Li PC-Q03 with my Asrock H81M-ITX.

-1- The front panel of the case has a group of several small connectors that go from the power switch to a panel on the motherboard, and the three sets of connectors are labeled Power LED, HD LED, and Power SW. The Power SW is a double-headed plug, which I believe should link up to the space on the motherboard that says "PWRBTN". The problem is there is only one space/slot for PWRBTN on the mobo, and the two adjacent spaces are labeled "GND" (which, I have no idea what that means). Any suggestions? If plugging in this Power SW is mandatory, it seems like my only option is to plug in one of the Power SW heads into PWRBTN and another head into GND. Could this be correct, and if so, does it matter much which of the two GND slots I use? I assume part of this Power SW plug must be +/-. Thank you.
You can see an example of the mobo panel in the link below (PWRBTN is in the center).

http://imgur.com/jR7x9

-2- The front panel has another connector, which is a 20-pin, labeled "FY", that apparently has something to do with the USB 3.0 connections. It seems as if Lian-Li wants this to plug into a USB 2.0 header, which then plugs into the mobo. I assume that my speeds will still be USB 3.0?

Thanks very much.

Put the Power panel connector on the PWRBTN and Ground that is horizontal to it on that chart (in the picture the 3rd and 4th pins on top...pins 7 and 9 doing a normal pin count). It shouldn't matter which way it goes on as it will work both directions (not so with LED lights where the + and - matter). Reset switch goes to the other ground.

I can't find a good picture to tell me what your USB 3 connection looks like. If it's a normal USB 3.0 cable, you need to put it in a USB 3.0 header or else you won't get full speed out of it. If it plus into a USB 2.0 header via adapter, you will only get USB 2.0 speed. But like I said, it's hard to see what Lian-Li did because some of the pictures look like it's a passthrough USB 3.0 port that you need to route outside your case to the motherboard ports on the back. I read some reviews online and it seems to say it's a 19-pin USB 3.0 cable, but Lian-Li might have different revisions to the case.

Last edited:
Hi, kirby.

-1- Will do. Also, I actually don't seem to have a Reset Switch connector. Could that be possible?

-2- Sorry - it actually is a 19-pin connector (20 with 1 blocked out). I can't seem to find anywhere for this to go besides connecting it with the USB adapter that Lian-Li provides and then into my "USB Header". Not the end of the world, either way.

Thanks again.

Case might not have a reset switch. I didn't look that closely. You can connect USB 3 ports via that adapter and they will work at USB 2 speed. I've done that before. Shouldn't have any issues.

Back