Mini ITX board with HDMI 2.0? ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX only?!

SiliconSwitch

Limp Gawd
Hey Everyone,

I have been searching for a Mini ITX board which has HDMI 2.0 for an HTPC I am building but have not been having much success... From what I can tell the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX is the only Mini ITX board with HDMI 2.0?

From the specs:

Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 24Hz / (3840x2160) @ 30Hz (on HDMI1)
Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz (on HDMI2)
Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2304) @ 60Hz

I read that you need to update the firmware to get the HDMI 2.0 working but that many people have not had much success. Many others have resorted to using the display port with the Club3D adapter to get HDMI 2.0.

Does anyone have any experience with this board to play 4k @ 60Hz off the HDMI port? Is this a true HDMI 2.0 or will that only come with the new 200 series boards?

Thanks!

It works, 4:4:4 60hz on my JS9000, used it during windows setup and installing games etc until I swapped in a real gpu. They have an additional chip onboard for that port (can see on pictures) I think its the same "lspcon" that intel uses with thunderbolt 3 ports. No idea about bios but mine had a pretty recent one so felt no need to flash.

Its a pretty nice board overall, have mine in a pretty maxed out gaming build in a V1 cube.

Yes you are right about the additional chip, after a bit of digging I found out that ASRock is using the MegaChips MCDP2800 LSPCON chip to convert a DP to an "HDMI 2.0" port.

Because this is not a native HDMI 2.0 port I am wondering if it does HDCP 2.2, have you been able to test it out?

Why do you care? There is nothing on the PC yet that needs 2.2 anyways, maybe never. It has the same baseline 1.6 or whatever everything else has.

Hollywood is barely letting anything happen on "open" computers, see the netflix kaby lake bullshit and 4k bluray forbidden on pc for examples.

It passes 4:4:4 60hz 4k from windows, it obviously can't game for shit but can desktop and playback with non-bullshit-DRM players (mpc-hc, madvr processing etc) so its good enough for htpc. I added a big fat pascal to mine after setup though.

I care because I am contemplating using this board with Kaby Lake (in January) for an HTPC that will be running Windows 10 and hopefully 4k streaming for all those that will support it (Netflix for one).

If this board does not support HDCP 2.2 then I can forget about it and wait until new 200 series board come out in hopes they have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2

Almost two years have passed and I am still searching for this board, it seems like the GIGABYTE H370N WIFI does HDMI 2.0 via an MCDP2800 and it supports HDCP 2.2.

Is this the only option nowadays or are there any other boards doing this? Maybe without the MCDP2800?

Here's the best list of boards.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108

You now have a few choices.

But that's stil way too few. Intel has no fucking clue how to market an HTPC without one foot stepping on the other. They've had two generations now to get this right,but they still havn't made the support universal ( by upgrading either to DP 1.3, or HDMI 2.0)

Unfortunately, there's no clear advertising on what is required to get this to work from Momma Intel, and Intel has not been encouraging motherboard makers to add any "clear-as-mud 4k HDCP-ready" labels that would stand-out more distinct in the mountains of advertising literature for each board.

Last edited:
2 more years and you haven't learned to give up on hollywood bullshit yet? They will always shitcan DRM implementations on real computers to "protect" their precious high fidelity feeds of this years re-quel that still shows up on every pirate site anyways. No blessed appliance, no play.

The chinesium OEMs (I love some of 'em, but they are what they are) can't even control their own driver signing private keys, hollywood sure as hell won't let them get blessed.

Intel even put in special sauce to recent cpus (SGX) to allow 3rd parties to hide memory from the actual owner of the fucking computer and managed to royally botch implementation so bad its actually an extra terrible ring negative 12 or whatever security risk.

Cheap 4:4:4 4k60hz hdmi and DP is available on ITX boards for awhile now, ready to be used by any modern normal video player program. Personally I would go for a raven ridge build right now, better performance balance and better GPU/assist for post-processing etc. Might even do good 10bit/HDR since its a Vega core and new codec core, not sure. (actual native HDR formats, not the DRM glued on top with the uhd discs)

Last edited:
2 more years and you haven't learned to give up on hollywood bullshit yet? They will always shitcan DRM implementations on real computers to "protect" their precious high fidelity feeds of this years re-quel that still shows up on every pirate site anyways. No blessed appliance, no play.

The chinesium OEMs (I love some of 'em, but they are what they are) can't even control their own driver signing private keys, hollywood sure as hell won't let them get blessed.

Intel even put in special sauce to recent cpus (SGX) to allow 3rd parties to hide memory from the actual owner of the fucking computer and managed to royally botch implementation so bad its actually an extra terrible ring negative 12 or whatever security risk.

Cheap 4:4:4 4k60hz hdmi and DP is available on ITX boards for awhile now, ready to be used by any modern normal video player program. Personally I would go for a raven ridge build right now, better performance balance and better GPU/assist for post-processing etc. Might even do good 10bit/HDR since its a Vega core and new codec core, not sure. (actual native HDR formats, not the DRM glued on top with the uhd discs)

So what is the GPUless 4k60 HTPC raven ridge build?

Back