Mini Itx and PSX emulation?

PureScoundrel

Weaksauce
I want to build a ITX system strictly as an emulation box. This system would strictly be running emulators for Nes, Snes, N64, and PSX. I was wondering what configuration would be best for this setup in the ITX form factor. I do not plan on using anything other than the onboard vga and sound. Any advice on what to get?

I have a epia sp1300 and use it for a similar purpose, mainly running megadrive and snes emu's, even a 68k mac emu (Basilisk II), for running good old escape velocity. I tried running N64 (1964) and the speed is spot on although you do have to get the plugin's right.

I have tried PSX emu's (mainly ePSXe) and it doesnt seem worth the hassle, the processor just isnt fast enough and definatley isnt helped by the onboard garphics,, I have put a old geforce mx400 pci in and it does take most the strain.

Thanks for the reply. I might have to consider a mico atx solution then. I was really hoping that I could find an ITX board that had enough power for psx emulation.

Its ok as long as you dont use the onboard graphics, i could never find a plugin that work well enough with it, using any add-on graphics card made psx emu usable

If you want to get mini itx solution you can always get one of the p4 motherboards thats mini itx and a pci graphics card if the onboard can't handle it. The p4 motherboards start at like 150 for a mini itx new. Put a cheap celeron in there to save some cash and you got a nice little system.

Another option would be a pentium m mini itx board which are pretty pricey. With this in mind you could always just buy the open cube.

I do have a p4 1.8ghz 400 bus in my laptop and I have a celeron M 1.5ghz sitting in the retail box still. That is the only hardware I already own that is usable from a laptop system. I am basically looking for something a good deal faster than my current laptop. My laptop is a Inspiron 8200 p4 1.8, 512 meg, 40 gig 5400 rpm, Geforce mx440 go 32 meg.

Would a pentium III system be fast enough? I saw one ebay that might be usable. It was a 1.2 ghz system with 512 mb of ram for 129 plus shipping.

A p3 1.2 might be fast enough for it. I was looking at those Intel Sheltons also but the video on those boards seem rather week also. I just cant seem to find a small, quiet, powerfull little system that does not cost a fortune.

PureScoundrel said:
Thanks for the reply. I might have to consider a mico atx solution then. I was really hoping that I could find an ITX board that had enough power for psx emulation.

You can find mini-itx solutions that are not via. This might give you the processor hp that you need.

Robstar said:
You can find mini-itx solutions that are not via. This might give you the processor hp that you need.
Yeah, Intel offers a Celeron-based solution called "Shelton." That with a PCI FX5700LE should emulate PSX fine.

I've been able to run PSX games like Chrono Cross for a long time on my Celeron M (1.2ghz) laptop with only 256mb ram, and an integrated 8mb graphics chip. It stutters a bit but, with the right plugin settings, is very playable. I'm sure with more RAM I'd be able to play fluidly, and if your specs can beat mine, they'll probably do well too.

PS: It's a school issued laptop, dont make fun of it :)

For me the perfect solution would be a mini itx intel based system with gma950 graphics and either a celeron or pentium m cpu.

its expensive but here's your wish...The Commell LV-674 mini-ITX platform is based on the Intel 945G and ICH7R Chipset, which supports LGA775 Pentium 4 Prescott processor, 1066MHz FSB , 2M L2 Cache , Also support Dual Core and EM64T. Dual channel DDR2 533/667 memory architecture in configurations of up to 2 GB RAM, and PCI-Express x16 slot (1x compatible), The new Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950 provides incredible visual quality, versatile display options, The ICH7R integrated with Realtek 7.1-CH High Definition Audio... here's the link...
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/489

Back