Mini ISP?

Protoform-X

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been kicking an idea around in my head to offer a wireless Internet service to an appartment complex. I'd take a stab and say that I'd probably serve about 20-50 people. I figured it'd be good to ask you guys about it before trying anything:

1.) Obviously security is a big issue. For starters, would WPA + MAC filtering be enough to keep the average freeloading teenager out? What other methods could I implement?
2.) Bandwidth is a major issue, I'd need a way to limit it per person. Any ideas? Also, would a 9Mb/1Mb cable connection be enough or would I need something faster?
3.) What kind of hardware could I use for this? I was thinking something along the lines of a Cisco WAP(or 2) and an omni-directional antenna outside.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good start.

How knowedegable are you in Cisco CLI? Myself, I'd go with a 2800 series Cisco router. You'll need to read up on Cisco CLI if you're not familiar with it. Its fairly simple to setup QoS.

As far as the line speed, you can always start with one connection, and if that doesn't do, get another.

For authentication, I'd look at some sort of RADIUS solution along with MAC filtering.

some network adapters don't support wpa so that might be a problem

for security, you could always make your customers VPN if they want to connect to the network.

it costs a good deal of overhead, but their channels would be encrypted eyond what WEP could offer as well as having good authentication.

Actually, I don't know anything about Cisco yet, but I'm willing to learn.
So I'm assuming Cisco CLI is some kind of programming language?

Sitheris, I dunno... It might need to be a requirement unless I can find a better way. WPA/RADIUS seems to be a fairly secure method compared to other options.

Hmm, didn't think of a VPN, just read about doing that with wireless in my Security+ book today; might be a good idea.

Protoform-X said:
Actually, I don't know anything about Cisco yet, but I'm willing to learn.
So I'm assuming Cisco CLI is some kind of programming language?

Sitheris, I dunno... It might need to be a requirement unless I can find a better way. WPA/RADIUS seems to be a fairly secure method compared to other options.

Hmm, didn't think of a VPN, just read about doing that with wireless in my Security+ book today; might be a good idea.
CLI: Command Line Interface. basically like DOS or the shell in Unix, except commands are different. Very easy to pick up a glossary or CCNA book at your local library/bookstore

Sorry that I can't help you with the other stuff.

Back