Mini Apple Stores Could be Headed to Target

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Target Stores will be the next outlet for Apple products if the reports are accurate. Target already sells the iOS line for Apple, but elevating Target to a mini-store status will make available all products Apple has to offer. The initial move will affect 25 Target stores.

The first group of locations, the site says, has been picked specifically in places where Apple does not already have a nearby retail store of its own.

One less reason to shop at Target.

I don't understand how they are still even in business.

My wife goes to target at least once, usually twice a week. They've got clothes, they've got groceries, they've got school supplies, they are easier to get in and out of than a Costco, have low prices and you don't feel like you need to take a shower after shopping there (like you do if you go to our Walmart).

Because they have just about everything that Walmart does, with the exception of the shoppers. I will gladly pay an extra 5% to avoid Walmart shoppers.

They're largely seen as the place that disgruntled Walmart shoppers go, and given how disgruntled most people are with Walmart at the moment...

Really??? Not where I am from or at at the moment.

My wife goes to target at least once, usually twice a week. They've got clothes, they've got groceries, they've got school supplies, they are easier to get in and out of than a Costco, have low prices and you don't feel like you need to take a shower after shopping there (like you do if you go to our Walmart).

Must be a super special target where you are then. Where I am, the prices are generally higher then Walmart, they have way less selection in every single deparment, and trying to find an employee if you have a question is like trying to find hens teeth.

You know that Apple won a lot of your kind over with the Macbook Air?

Really??? What kind am I? Every time I have had to deal with working on Apple products it has been a nighmare. Replacing screens on them is horrible, finding the correct driver/install combination to get printers working on them on a network is a nightmare, trying to recover from a screwed up PC/iPhone sync is a nightmare. Not to mention that back when I had to use them in college, we were lucky if even 50% of the Macs in either of the labs were operational.

And to top it off, they are WAY freaking overpriced.

Because they have just about everything that Walmart does, with the exception of the shoppers. I will gladly pay an extra 5% to avoid Walmart shoppers.

Only 5%? And they have like 10% of the number of employees compared to other stores. Ever try to find a Target employee when you needed to ask a question about a product or stock? Good luck.

Really??? What kind am I? Every time I have had to deal with working on Apple products it has been a nighmare. Replacing screens on them is horrible, finding the correct driver/install combination to get printers working on them on a network is a nightmare, trying to recover from a screwed up PC/iPhone sync is a nightmare. Not to mention that back when I had to use them in college, we were lucky if even 50% of the Macs in either of the labs were operational.

An angry fanboy. Show me statistics for problems with apple products per 100k, and I'll show you the "competition" with the same, or in most cases, more problems. Or are you just bitching about anecdotes? Because you sure seem like the kind of person who would put forth unbiased information.

SO YOU SHOP AT WAL-MART?

I only shop at Costco, Target, Amazon, and Newegg.

Don't tell anybody, but you don't have to shop anywhere else to get everything you need.

But I do need a Russian Bride, so.....:)

Advice?

Target is in business because people like me that hate walmart, costco and places where it is a pain to get in and out. They are large and easy to shop at, I love my target around my house. If I wanna go get something real quick thats where i go. I don't go that much but a few times a month I will go there. Thats the only place i go if I need something at home. Forget walmart.

I always hear so many complaints about Walmart, but the ones around here decent.

Within a 8 mile radius, I have 5 Targets, 3 Costcos, and 2 Walmarts. I shop at all 3, and depending on where else I'm going, I'll go to different locations.(i.e. not always the same store)

Walmart tends have the best "non-sale" prices on basic items, altough the stores tend to be more cluttered, and the checkout lines a bit long.

Target tends to be a bit more up-scale than Walmart. Prices are generally not as good, unless the item is on sale. Sale prices tend to be better than Walmart, since Walmart generally doesn't have sales.

Costco usually has a better price/quality than Walmart or Target, but unless you really need that 4 pound bag of chocolate chips, or then 5 pound bag of hamburgers, then you might end up wasting money.

I generall try to avoid Walmart and Costco on weekends or before holidays due to the crowds. Target tends to be a little less crowded during the busy times of the week.

An angry fanboy. Show me statistics for problems with apple products per 100k, and I'll show you the "competition" with the same, or in most cases, more problems. Or are you just bitching about anecdotes? Because you sure seem like the kind of person who would put forth unbiased information.

Hows this for you? (spoiler: doesn't show laptops of your favirote brand as being the most reliable, even though this is only the customers who didn't use apples own "service" so overall will probably be far far worse. But at least they're cheap, right! Right?)

Hows this for you? (spoiler: doesn't show laptops of your favirote brand as being the most reliable, even though this is only the customers who didn't use apples own "service" so overall will probably be far far worse. But at least they're cheap, right! Right?)

Thank you for the link, this was very informative. It gives me peace of mind to have bought a Eee 1215B :).

Even though Apple wasn't the most reliable you kind of did qualify the other poster's main point, which is that Apple makes reliable laptops. Though certainly not enough to justify the insane markup they put on their gear.

Thank you for the link, this was very informative. It gives me peace of mind to have bought a Eee 1215B :).

Even though Apple wasn't the most reliable you kind of did qualify the other poster's main point, which is that Apple makes reliable laptops. Though certainly not enough to justify the insane markup they put on their gear.

Actually it doesn't quite, as typically apple does "in house" repairs on laptops. The company doing the survey is a laptop repair company so the apple units being submitted for their service will only be a small fraction of the failed apple units out of warranty for whatever reason (it's pretty simple to lose the warranty protection, somone I worked with lost her warranty for upgrading the ram...). The actual total failed units total will probably therefore be much much higher.

It definately doesn't show that they are more reliable or as reliable other companies (not even in the top three) which is a point which their fanbase constantly pushes. Then at worse including all the other failed units they are probably in the lower half. Which as you say makes the markup completely unjustified (which isn't exactly surprising :D).

Asus laptops do seem pretty rock solid for me so far (I have one too! Was pretty cheap too ($300/$500/$1000000 less than a similar spec dell/sony/apple :D)

I have owned quite a few laptops the last few years. I owned a thinkpad and have gone through 5 different apple laptops. I also own an m11x. I've had more problems with the thinkpad and m11x. On my old MacBook, the HSF died, but other than that, none of the other 4 I own had any problems. I prefer using them because they have a much superior trackpads in comparison to the pc laptops i have dealt with. I also love me some aluminum. I also like my m11x, too, but not as much as my MacBook air.

Only 5%? And they have like 10% of the number of employees compared to other stores. Ever try to find a Target employee when you needed to ask a question about a product or stock? Good luck.

As far as employees, people say the same thing about Walmart. Just about any retail establishment nowadays is going to have the bare minimum staff at all times so get over it.

Price wise, they are about equal, but for the past year Target has been slightly cheaper, or almost 6% cheaper if you take advantage of all the discounts you can with them. http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/562/low-low-prices-target-beats-wal-mart

Exactly, the kind of person who hates Apple. But the funny thing is they are not as overpriced as people believe. OMG, ultra books cost almost as much as Macbook Airs? They have cut a lot of corners to even get them even to the same price point. And then there are the people who find a cheap ass HP i5 and compare that to a Macbook Pro which is hardly a good comparison.

I think its a good move for Apple, especially if they can sell their low end. They can then market their low end machines as the "ipod" computer and people will flock in droves. The downside is potentially degrading the image of apple computers. I think it'll be a bigger win than lose in the long run though.

I bet ol Steve is rolling in his grave right now though, as he was big on the image thing.

I can only guess at how scared Apple store managers will be in the near future.

I think its a good move for Apple, especially if they can sell their low end.

Are you implying Apple actually makes high end stuff too? Or rather just high priced low end stuff?

I believe their dual six-core workstation could be considered "high end".

You mean dual 6 core at stock low frequencies. Not really "high end" is it... Probably costs over $2900k too (but comes with one of those expensive sucky monitors free!).

With the Target card (automatic 5% taken off at the register), they win hands down over Walmart. You almost have to be an idiot not to shop there w/o it.

With the Target card (automatic 5% taken off at the register), they win hands down over Walmart. You almost have to be an idiot not to shop there w/o it.

You see, Walmart brainwashes everyone with "low prices" on the end cap of every isle. They figured if they say it enough, a lot of people will believe it. And they do. Tons of stores, including Target has caught on and now have it all over the place too. Used to be save 5% last year. Anywho, I have a Target redcard and enjoy the 5% off at the register.

Paying with a Target card gets one a 5% discount.

It varies by area, of course, but in my area with everything else being the same or similar, Target seems to have more "civilized" shoppers compared to Walmart. During the past Black Friday, for instance, I went to two Targets and two Walmarts, all within 10-15 minutes from each other. In both Targets everyone generally acted well-behaved, and what assholes there were didn't really even do anything except perhaps weakly mouth off for the sake of mouthing off. At least while I was there and as far as I could see, there was no pushing, there were no fights, and the lines were observed. The numerous police cars outside both Walmarts with officers filling out reports and interviewing people who had apparently witnessed fights and/or thefts, and the insides of both Walmarts looking like they'd been thoroughly trashed indicated they were not as fortunate.

Regularly speaking, I can get in and out of a Target within a few minutes during almost any time of day or night, while waiting in a line at a Walmart can take up to half an hour due to the number of people there, the amount of stuff each person/family is buying, and the ridiculous lack of open registers.

Back