Miner Wars 2081

So who's heard of this game? It's currently in Pre-Alpha testing and you can download it for free. It seems they are doing the same marketing as Mount and Blade where you can purchase the game now at a heavily discounted price, get access to all the alpha/beta builds, and then when the game goes retail you'll already own it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fudXV6-aq-4
Gameplay video

I'm not sure how the multiplayer features work yet, but I believe it's full loot. There's also a single player mode, so I can't figure out whether or not the multiplayer is like an MMO, a player hosted server, or what. I'm going to assume it'll be like D2, where you have a full on single player campaign, but if you hop online you'll have a separate "character" living in the online world which would be persistent.

The asteroids are fully destructible and you can use missiles to blow a hole right through the middle to burrow yourself in, it's pretty unique. The website states that some of these asteroids are miles in diameter!

Right now it's available to download for free to try the pre-alpha build. I hear there's not much going on....but that's pre-alpha for you!

The interior asteroid shots remind of Descent a little, mixed with a little Freespace action too. Looks pretty cool!

Wow. Brings me back to the good old decent days. Destructible asteroids to make tunnels in? That's really cool.

Tbh, that video is the reason I will never look at anything labeled Miner Wars 2081 again.

There's danger in releasing stuff too early because there is no second chance to make a good first impression and the impression I got was "It sucks!". With approximately 3705473053 titles competing for my attention I just won't look at this one again.

Tbh, that video is the reason I will never look at anything labeled Miner Wars 2081 again.

There's danger in releasing stuff too early because there is no second chance to make a good first impression and the impression I got was "It sucks!". With approximately 3705473053 titles competing for my attention I just won't look at this one again.

Mount and Blade somehow pulled off the whole "we're in alpha, look at us!" marketing. This is no more than just beta testing that everyone can see. While I agree first impressions mean a lot, I would have thought a gamer could look past the initial presentation and do the research themselves to learn more about a game. At least that's what I did.

Minecraft did the same. They're doing great, just broke 1 million sales, and still in beta.

The video was neat :) I might check it out as it matures. Keep us updated on your review of the game :)

Back