Mined Cards vs. "New" Cards from Retailers

Honestly, I have had nothing but good luck. In the last three months I’ve purchased nine graphics cards, three of these were GTX 1060’s, the remainder were various RX 580s. All of them have worked flawlessly. In fact most of them were mind on for at least six months some of the best performers I have have been mined on for upwards of a year and a half .

The biggest thing that scares me about cards that have been used for mining is that many people simply don’t understand how to do it correctly.

One of the RX 580 8GB cards I got, had some pretty serious issues out of the gate

The previous owner had did a bio smart on it and the card simply would not post. Ended up picking that thing up for $20. I flipped the switch for the bios and luckily he had not touched the second bios

Once I got a chance to look at the bios that he had put on the card I’m not sure what he was smoking. Long story short the card works great and puts down a solid 31.8 MH/s

The thing I always wonder is do most of the people who tried to do this and then get out of it, do they know about under volting?

I ran All of my all of my GTX 1060s At only 800 mV with a healthy over clock on the memory ranging from 550 to 800 and grace at only 800 mV with a healthy over clock on the memory ranging from 550 to 800 increase

Those cards ran nice and cool and only once did I see them get above 55C

Actually thinking about buying a 1080 Ti and selling off a 1080. I wonder what kind of money that would cost me in the end.

Ended up picking up a used 1080ti. After looking into evga's new warranty I have no concerns. It's a much bigger upgrade from my 980ti than I was expecting at 4k.

I have purchased a 1070, 1080 , Rx480 and Vega 64 here on [H] and every single card was completely fine. The 1070 and 1080 were ex mining cards and are doing just great in builds for my Brother and another for a guy at work. The Vega is in my Sig Rig.
Used of course is always a risk but one I have no issue taking especially here with good sellers that are quick to communicate , answer questions and have good rep.

I hope I'll be able to add myself to the list of folks with good luck buying used. I recently had a couple EVGA cards die on me (8800GTS and 660), so I'm a little nervous about the reduced warranty. Hoping for the best.

I hope I'll be able to add myself to the list of folks with good luck buying used. I recently had a couple EVGA cards die on me (8800GTS and 660), so I'm a little nervous about the reduced warranty. Hoping for the best.
Me as well, the card and mobo I bought are due here on Monday, so I'll update everyone then :) may god favor us both lol

Me as well, the card and mobo I bought are due here on Monday, so I'll update everyone then :) may god favor us both lol
Mine is arriving in on Monday too. :)

I'm trying to think of how best to test it to make sure that everything is okay.

I have two rigs currently still running. I keep them less than 70C and limited the power. I would have no issue buying a used card for gaming. I would think most miners took care of their cards to keep them running long term and to keep some sort of resale value.

How does warranty transfer work? I found someone locally that will sell evga sc 1080ti for $500. He said I can stress test and return if I find any issues during testing so seems like a good deal.

How does warranty transfer work? I found someone locally that will sell evga sc 1080ti for $500. He said I can stress test and return if I find any issues during testing so seems like a good deal.
Just register the card at evga.com

You will need a receipt to upload.

Hopefully good fortune is on my side as well. Will be expecting an MSI RX570 Gaming X delivered tomorrow.. purchased used from the 'bay. Need to extend the life of my FX-6300 rig a little longer

There is always a risk to be had when going with used products. I for one am willing to take those risks lol..

Hey y'all,
I've been following all the hype and stuff for the new RTX cards, and all the new processor stuff, and that's cool and all. However, I'm broke, so that stuff doesn't really apply to me in a large sense. I have been looking for a 1080ti/1080 or 1070ti/1070 for awhile, and I think I found a card that's right for me. I was wondering if all the rumors and talk about how mining cards fail after about two months are true, and what the real differences would be between a card I bought after it had been running in a rig ~50C for 4 months vs. a retail new card. If the card was well-maintained, would there even be any difference?

I'm really interested to hear from you guys who seem to have so much experience with everything hardware.

Thanks in advance you guys :)
- Casahawk

1) You can't gaurentee it wasn't abused
2) You can't verify if the ROM was properly reset
3) You have no information on how long it was used or how. There's a big difference between sitting in a desktop for 6 months and gaming 4 hours/day versus running 75%+ power capacity for months on end.

Used 1080? $530-$380+fees and shipping.

I have a used EVGA 1080Ti on the way that I got for $515 all in. We'll see what I can get for the 1080 once I verify the 1080Ti is good to go. It should have over 2 years warranty left.

I don't think mining cards are bad per se. I think that as long as the card is properly cooled, and not severely volt modded, there should be no problem

Thing is that there is no way to know if the card was modded and pushed to its limits. There's people that take care of their cards and people who doesn't.This applies to any card, but mining cards are probabably more prone to life shortening because of abuse.

Back