Minecraft Performance TANKED After Most Recent Update (1.17)!

VOID93

n00b
Hello everyone!
My build is still exactly as it appears in my signature ie: RTX 2080 Super, 3800X etc. As a result, in vanilla Minecraft I usually get around 600 frames per second or more at maximum render distance. Or at least I did...until the most recent update. Now I struggle to break 60 or 70 fps. The game stutters and lags and even with optifine it only cranks up to around 100 or so. This absolutely sucks on a 144Hz monitor. I have tried all different RAM allocations and Nvidia control panel settings and such...no luck. Did Mojang just break there game by updating to Java 16?? All other game seem to run as usual. Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!

google where the config file is and delete it. also try flushing your shader cache.
java? does the local install version run in java?

google where the config file is and delete it. also try flushing your shader cache.
java? does the local install version run in java?
I will try that. And yes, I am on the Java version running in the latest install of java.

I will try that. And yes, I am on the Java version running in the latest install of java.
then in that case, clear your java cache(temp files or whatever they call it) too.
can i ask why the java version though? as far as i knew, and im just going by what i support at work, java was the last resort version. or am i wrong? i only support the edu version on pc, mac and chrome and its usually as far as install issues or changing account versions so they dont get a trial warning...

then in that case, clear your java cache(temp files or whatever they call it) too.
can i ask why the java version though? as far as i knew, and im just going by what i support at work, java was the last resort version. or am i wrong? i only support the edu version on pc, mac and chrome and its usually as far as install issues or changing account versions so they dont get a trial warning...
I just prefer the java version because of modding and free resource packs and shaders. The most recent minecraft version also came with a change in the Java version to 16.

I just prefer the java version because of modding and free resource packs and shaders. The most recent minecraft version also came with a change in the Java version to 16.
ah ok, was just curious. hopefully clearing things will get it working. otherwise youll probably have to wipe it and java and reload the last versions.

ah ok, was just curious. hopefully clearing things will get it working. otherwise youll probably have to wipe it and java and reload the last versions.
Do not wanna have to. I already tried deleting the entire .minecraft folder and reinstalling the game launcher...that did not work either.

Do not wanna have to. I already tried deleting the entire .minecraft folder and reinstalling the game launcher...that did not work either.
They don't hide the settings somewhere in the AppData folder, do they? Often even when uninstalling a game the settings file will still hang around if they stick it in another folder like this.

Optifine is in fact a mod.
I don't think that optifine has been updated to 1.17 yet, I know that my home server is still on 1.16.5 waiting on updates.
https://papermc.io/downloads
https://optifine.net/downloads

Both are on 1.17 "preview" builds which I don't trust with something as important as my server data as of yet.
but you stated your want the java for mods? try the regular one then...
I play on java in anticipation of when Mods are more stable and available for the latest version and yes Optifine IS in fact a mod but I only recently installed it to try and remedy the recent framerate issues. It helps a little bit. Without the optifine pre-release version 21 installed I barely get 60 to 70 FPS but WITH it installed I get like 110. I wish vanilla worked properly is all i was trying to say. I just have no logical reason that my FPS would randomly drop by like 400 FPS with the latest java and minecraft updates.

Without optifine and running on a newly created world, 1.17 runs just as good as normal for me.

Maybe it's the new world generation that's causing a bottleneck, and once that's done you'll see framerates stabilize. If you're in creative and flying around, things always run horribly.

I play on java in anticipation of when Mods are more stable and available for the latest version and yes Optifine IS in fact a mod but I only recently installed it to try and remedy the recent framerate issues. It helps a little bit. Without the optifine pre-release version 21 installed I barely get 60 to 70 FPS but WITH it installed I get like 110. I wish vanilla worked properly is all i was trying to say. I just have no logical reason that my FPS would randomly drop by like 400 FPS with the latest java and minecraft updates.

I get a locked 60 fps on Vanilla Java Minecraft. I'd check over all of your hardware for problems.

Without optifine and running on a newly created world, 1.17 runs just as good as normal for me.

Maybe it's the new world generation that's causing a bottleneck, and once that's done you'll see framerates stabilize. If you're in creative and flying around, things always run horribly.
I get a locked 60 fps on Vanilla Java Minecraft. I'd check over all of your hardware for problems.
I already have checked over my hardware. I even updated my BIOS XD. Ran numerous benchmarks and tests as well. There does not seem to be an issue. Literally just dropped from like a locked 500 FPS in 1.16.5 (on Java SE 8) to barely cranking 110 with optifine on the new java and version. Absolutely bizarre. I guess it MUST be me if you guys have not experienced this issue. I will reinstall Java and see if that helps.

I already have checked over my hardware. I even updated my BIOS XD. Ran numerous benchmarks and tests as well. There does not seem to be an issue. Literally just dropped from like a locked 500 FPS in 1.16.5 (on Java SE 8) to barely cranking 110 with optifine on the new java and version. Absolutely bizarre. I guess it MUST be me if you guys have not experienced this issue. I will reinstall Java and see if that helps.
I'm using java 16 if you think that matters at all. I think 1.17 required a newer version of java? Java 11 IIRC.

(I use 16 because paper prefers a higher java version.)

1624230205882.png

I am on Java 16.0.1 as well.

Back