Minecraft Has Sold 53,000 Copies A Day In 2016

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft released an infographic to the media yesterday that shows you just how many copies of Minecraft have been sold. Suddenly that $2 billion price tag Microsoft paid for Minecraft doesn't look so ridiculous any more, does it?

Well I own 4 PC copies, 1 xbox 360 version, 1 xbox one version, 4 windows 10 version(s) (free with pc versions), and I bought 1 copy of the ipad pocket edition. Plus Story Mode for PC. My kids love it. PC version is the best by far because of all the mods, pocket edition runs way better though on slow hardware.

Plus we have various minecraft toys, posters, stuffed animals, a diamond sword, etc. We've had 2 minecraft birthday parties etc. It's bigger than all of us, lol.

They also love Skyrim (again because of mods). Reminds me of the quake 1/2/3 days when I used to play all the mods. It's crazy how proper modding support can make something legendary. I feel like a lot of companies don't get that.

Pretty crazy how many copies have been sold. The game has 0 entertainment value to me, it bores me to no end, but both my kids like it a lot so I have a couple copies......but they also like Yo Kai Watch...which I think is lame as well. I must be getting old.

I never understood the attraction of this game. I watched my nephew in Brazil play this for like 5 minutes & wanted to fall asleep.

Minecraft is life! Really it can be, I am a mod developer and I also stream playing minecraft. The game is loads of fun and the community is great. However, vanilla is so boring, mods make it a whole new game. Then you have mod packs out there that add stories, quests, and objectives. Basically making a game within a game, so many endless possibilities. Seems minecraft as put itself into my everyday life, it's crazy.

Nice. You can see how the popularity got away from Notch and he had to offload it. Talk about pressure. MS is taking it all the way to the bank.

The first time I played it.. Back in the Alpha/Beta days.. I didn't get it. Then I gave it another go a few years later. Networked creative mode with a few mods. It became my Lego replacement. Building huge structures, designing red stone circuit actuated secret passage ways. It's an awesome game, and I find it great that the kids are into it instead of all the Doom and Quake I was playing back in the day ;)

Pretty crazy how many copies have been sold. The game has 0 entertainment value to me, it bores me to no end, but both my kids like it a lot so I have a couple copies......but they also like Yo Kai Watch...which I think is lame as well. I must be getting old.

Yep don't feel bad, it's a generational disconnect.

Well it's cheaper than Lego. I still prefer Lego though.

Assuming Notch just collects interest off 1 billion of his 2.5 billion dollar pay day he collects $416,666 a month in interest. His 200 million dollar mansion above Los Angeles and taxes probably cost him at least $500,000,000 of the 2.5 billion.

Yeah, I think I could live on $416,000 a month.

Never was able to get into this. It just looks so horrible even if that is the point. Kudos to Microsoft though as I thought they were nuts to spend that much money.

I bought four copies for my house. My kids love it. They don't play it quite as much as they used to (we also play Terraria, and Lego Worlds,) but they still get a lot of use out of them. $26 per copy for hundreds of hours of entertainment that makes them use their brains a bit, is money well spent IMO. I prefer Terraria, so I don't play Minecraft, but it's still a pretty cool little game.

Well I own 4 PC copies, 1 xbox 360 version, 1 xbox one version, 4 windows 10 version(s) (free with pc versions), and I bought 1 copy of the ipad pocket edition. Plus Story Mode for PC. My kids love it. PC version is the best by far because of all the mods, pocket edition runs way better though on slow hardware.

Plus we have various minecraft toys, posters, stuffed animals, a diamond sword, etc. We've had 2 minecraft birthday parties etc. It's bigger than all of us, lol.

They also love Skyrim (again because of mods). Reminds me of the quake 1/2/3 days when I used to play all the mods. It's crazy how proper modding support can make something legendary. I feel like a lot of companies don't get that.
I feel your pain. I have bought 4 PC versions, Xbox 360, PS4, iPad version, and various merchandise. My kids are no longer playing it - they switched to a web based game called Roblox.

I was actually kind of excited for the Windows 10 version, so I could ditch the Java BS. However, they want to tie it to the MS store, your live ID, AND force you to log into Windows with your live ID. That's worse than Java!!! Fuckers...

At this rate it will take ~6 years to pay off. That's not that bad. But how long before minecraft peters out of steam and a new version has to be developed?

We have PC Version (plus windows 10 version which was a freebee), XBox version, and PE Android version

I feel your pain. I have bought 4 PC versions, Xbox 360, PS4, iPad version, and various merchandise. My kids are no longer playing it - they switched to a web based game called Roblox.

My son plays both.

Roblox could be the next minecraft. Simple graphics and mechanics, but great flexibility to create easy to play fast games and silliness.

I never understood the attraction of this game. I watched my nephew in Brazil play this for like 5 minutes & wanted to fall asleep.

I"m in the same boat as you.I have never seen the attraction.I wouldn't buy this game(I guess)if it were given to me

Well done, Microsoft. The investment has paid off.

Um... maybe my math is off here... how much are they charging for Minecraft now?? I paid like $12 for it when I played years and years ago. Assuming they charge $10-20 for it, it'll still take 5-10 years to get their $2B investment back. Still looks like a pretty big gamble to me.

I"m in the same boat as you.I have never seen the attraction.I wouldn't buy this game(I guess)if it were given to me

It's basically unlimited legos on a computer with combat and scripting for moving pieces.

You didn't love legos as a kid?

I bought a copy for my step-daughter on PC, and just pre-ordered the Wii U version for the kids to play split screen. Worthwhile investment here.

It's basically unlimited legos on a computer with combat and scripting for moving pieces.

You didn't love legos as a kid?

The enjoyment, for me anyways and I feel many others, was the tactile feel of building something with legos. Having a game on the screen doesn't really incite my imagination and creative side.

The enjoyment, for me anyways and I feel many others, was the tactile feel of building something with legos. Having a game on the screen doesn't really incite my imagination and creative side.

played with legos the time.Just can not do it on the scene.

Well it's cheaper than Lego. I still prefer Lego though.
A drug addiction is probably cheaper than legos shits expensive.
At this rate it will take ~6 years to pay off. That's not that bad. But how long before minecraft peters out of steam and a new version has to be developed?

We have PC Version (plus windows 10 version which was a freebee), XBox version, and PE Android version
It's probably already or close to paid off through licensing agreements, merch etc.

I agree to an extent, but:

A) The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
B) When you play with "digital Lego" or any building/survival type game, you get unlimited pieces. Something that would be VERY cost prohibitive with real world blocks.

I think a healthy balance can be struck between the two. I buy my kids Lego kits, and they also play Lego Worlds (really cool game btw) Minecraft and Terraria. They enjoy all of them. (I enjoy a subset of them as well.)

Um... maybe my math is off here... how much are they charging for Minecraft now?? I paid like $12 for it when I played years and years ago. Assuming they charge $10-20 for it, it'll still take 5-10 years to get their $2B investment back. Still looks like a pretty big gamble to me.

You're forgetting about all the products and licensing they sell. Can't imagine what tell tale paid to make minecraft story mode. They sell a ton of toys which I'm sure it's just licensed out along with party supplies, room decorations and whatever else they sell. Aren't they even talking about a minecraft movie?

I agree to an extent, but:

A) The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
B) When you play with "digital Lego" or any building/survival type game, you get unlimited pieces. Something that would be VERY cost prohibitive with real world blocks.

I think a healthy balance can be struck between the two. I buy my kids Lego kits, and they also play Lego Worlds (really cool game btw) Minecraft and Terraria. They enjoy all of them. (I enjoy a subset of them as well.)

Yep my son plays all of those. He's slowly getting into terraria. And he likes solving puzzles with me on Portal (this past week)

I guess the money that Microsoft spent on this game was well worth it then. Too bad I am not interested in it but, I really do not have much time to play games anyways. Hmmmmm, maybe this is what I will buy my nephew for his 7th Birthday.

The kind of money needed to freely speak ones' mind today. Good thing.

I should add, for my part, I get bored pretty quickly of the game. I like the high speed action/shooting/competitiveness of the shooters

Yeah my kids play roblox too. It's even uglier than minecraft but there are some neat game modes. A couple of them were into Terrarria. I've got 4 copies of ARK Survival and they like that one a lot. Titanfall and BF4 were hits with a few of them as well. Honestly, I can get into BF4 and Titanfall, but ARK is a bit slow for me as well.

At that rate, more than one sixth of the initial investment per year. The new Realms feature will haul in recurring cash, and the product licensing is probably closing in on covering the remainder already.

All in all, a good buy.

Think back to when you were a kid, and how powerful herd mentality is. You either play with whatever everyone else is playing with at the moment, and keep up with the fads, or you become an outcast.

And as a kid, we had far dumber fads than Minecraft, so I'm not judging them at all.

Back