Minecraft Creator Is Unhappy Being A Billionaire

I've got a closed mind because I don't follow some archaic text? Right. Move along, little sheep.

Archaic text? You mean The Bible? That hardly qualifys as archaic. Since it happens to be the cornerstone of western society. And no amount of BS can erase that fact.

Archaic text? You mean The Bible? That hardly qualifys as archaic. Since it happens to be the cornerstone of western society. And no amount of BS can erase that fact.

Something 2000 years old isn't archaic? Tell me, would you rely on 2000 year old medical knowledge? You're basing your beliefs on something merely because a bunch of religious Quakers founded America? Oh, I see. :rolleyes:

Something 2000 years old isn't archaic? Tell me, would you rely on 2000 year old medical knowledge? You're basing your beliefs on something merely because a bunch of religious Quakers founded America? Oh, I see. :rolleyes:

By that you must believe something written 200 years ago is archaic also.
Arcane text means more than just age. It means lost knowledge, ideas, and usually lends itself to mysticism. ( by mysticism I mean unorthodox to christian teaching, gnostism) The Bible is none of those things.
I'm sure you do not want a debate on the validity of the bible. Most here would not appreciate it. I'm well versed in theology and apologetics if you have some real concerns and would like to PM me. Otherwise I'm done.

BTW, The Christian that played a role in founding America were The Puritians for the most part. Not Quakers.

Sounds like the story of the Buddha to me. Maybe he should go sit under a tree and find enlightenment.

He sounds like he will be broke, if the money ever stops rolling in from Minecraft.

People who have never had a ton of money (i.e. lottery winners), don't know how to manage their spending. They are born believing that the ultimate goal is to become rich before they die. When that instantly happens, they don't know what to do with themselves. They just keep spending until they are broke or dead.

Having too much is never a bad thing - you just have to have more than one life goal. I believe I will be rich some day and I have goals if/when I ever achieve that goal. I hope he wakes up and finds his own.

I have three words for him as someone who struggles check to check.

Boo fucking hoo.

The local animal shelter is filled with happiness and love you can buy. Just don't hire someone to care for them, the exercise of walking dogs every day will help his (anyone's) mental well being as well (or cats if dog phobic ;) ).

Cornerstone of Western religion, it isn't anywhere close to the cornerstone of society.

Wow ... a thread turning into a religious debate ... what were the odds :D

i was going to say something sarcastic about the billionaire in this story but i'm not.

as a fellow billionaire i can relate.

10 houses a fleet of cars private jet...

at the end of the day it's just stuff you know what i mean?

now i pay people to fist fight to the death.

ah, the american dream

:D

i was going to say something sarcastic about the billionaire in this story but i'm not.

as a fellow billionaire i can relate.

10 houses a fleet of cars private jet...

at the end of the day it's just stuff you know what i mean?

now i pay people to fist fight to the death.

ah, the american dream

:D

I'm glad a fellow billionaire stepped in to set the record straight for all of us so there's absolutely no debate about what's what and who's how.

Every AGDQ or SGDQ he donates anywhere from 6-15k for the charities. That's nice of him. He's done in 3 years running now.

That seems pretty weak considering he's a billionaire. I've seen more ordinary people give like 500 bucks. Not saying it isn't "nice" or whatever, but it's hardly "OMG thats the most wonderful thing evar."

In any case, like the first reply said. A river, cry one for me.

God was made up by rich men, to justify to the poor why their lives are so shitty.
We never had anything good come from the idea of God, except war, hatred and bloodshed. Because some people believe in a different God than others.

Unlike all the god deniers like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc. They created wonderful utopias with butterflies, unicorns and ice cream.

Don't blame God because some evil men use religion to push their own selfish agendas.

What about all the charities, hospitals, orphanages, schools, soup kitchens, etc. that are run by religious institutions? The world would be a much worse place for the poor with out them.

Wow ... a thread turning into a religious debate ... what were the odds :D

Looking back at the posts where the nuttery started, I think it's rooted jealousy. I have to imagine that successful people with Notch's attitude on life would cause some cognitive dissonance for believers who have grown up associating success and good works with their god(s). They rationalize the problem away by pretending that success is a test/burden and he's unhappy because he hasn't 'found god.'

He's unhappy because he has a messed up brain.

Step 1 - Lose weight
Step 2 - Buy small modest home and car
Step 3 - Dress like you're worth 50K
Step 4 - Visit social gatherings
Step 5 - Profit emotionally

Exactly what I would do if I was worth a billion dollars. Maybe if he stopped living like a billionare he wouldn't have so much trouble finding people to hang with that make him happy.

He has lottery winner syndrome.

He is at a point in his life where I once was. It's this point he needs to find himself.

Part of the problem here is that he isn't use to having money. It is one thing to be rich and be used to being rich. Or even to slowly get into that life style. He was an every day man who created a game that took off, he did what he loved. He made a game that people enjoyed playing. Now suddenly that has been taken away from him (or sold it away to no longer do it, however you want to put it) and he has been giving a pile of money. So he want from being one of us, to being very well off.

I bet it is lonely as suddenly he has tons of free time and nothing to do with it. We can all feel jealous by he got lucky. It is no different than somebody winning the lottery. He could give away all of his money, but that still won't change his life to be happy. As others said, money can't buy happiness.

Part of the problem here is that he isn't use to having money. It is one thing to be rich and be used to being rich. Or even to slowly get into that life style. He was an every day man who created a game that took off, he did what he loved. He made a game that people enjoyed playing. Now suddenly that has been taken away from him (or sold it away to no longer do it, however you want to put it) and he has been giving a pile of money. So he want from being one of us, to being very well off.

I bet it is lonely as suddenly he has tons of free time and nothing to do with it. We can all feel jealous by he got lucky. It is no different than somebody winning the lottery. He could give away all of his money, but that still won't change his life to be happy. As others said, money can't buy happiness.

Having nothing to do or no purpose is a choice, not a side effect of money ... if anything, an abundance of money gives you more options, not less ... the rest of us struggle to balance the needs of earning a living and doing the things that are fun and interesting and renewing (The Sharpen the Saw successful People Habit) ... his failure to find something to do is his choice ... Bill Gates and Zuckerberg (both much richer than Notch) don't seem to have any troubles discovering things to keep themselves occupied and renewed ... maybe he should consult with other billionaires rather than whine about his situation ;)

Having nothing to do or no purpose is a choice, not a side effect of money ... if anything, an abundance of money gives you more options, not less ... the rest of us struggle to balance the needs of earning a living and doing the things that are fun and interesting and renewing (The Sharpen the Saw successful People Habit) ... his failure to find something to do is his choice ... Bill Gates and Zuckerberg (both much richer than Notch) don't seem to have any troubles discovering things to keep themselves occupied and renewed ... maybe he should consult with other billionaires rather than whine about his situation ;)

Bill Gates, also has a family. He had friends that he rose up. He became part of different things as he rose up in wealth. He was able to find ways to use his money as he started to make more and more of it. Zuckerburg would be in a similar position though as Notch of everything coming at him quick. But he is also still involved in many things.

Even having the means to do more, how often can you really do certain things? Lets look at something like Disney World. To most people that is something special, all kids want to go to Disney right? What about people that live right by it and go there 10+ times a year? You think they still think it is the greatest place on earth after the 150th time going there? So yes, you can spend money on things because you have money. But again that is only going to get you so much. Pretty soon you will get bored of spending money. You still need friends, family and a real purpose to not be bored just sitting around all the time. Even if you were throwing a party every night, pretty soon that would get boring also.

All I see here are people whining about him not being 100% happy in life because he has more money than they do. If you truly think that money alone can bring you all the happiness in the world then you, like everyone else, are missing a few screws. But like I said in my other post, people here are just jealous.

Did you read some of his tweets? He did say that he has talked with others who went from normal everyday guy to rich, they have told him this type of feeling is normal and in time will all pass.

Some people who didn't have regular childhoods are "challenged" with public places and social gatherings. Particularly introverts

I have the same issue, trust me I don't do well around people or public speaking. I started small by going to LAN centers then started entering gaming tournaments and going to nerd cons and slowly I began to adapt to being around people and actually enjoying it once in awhile. I still can't over socialize and I prefer to stay home on a weekend but once in awhile I can get out and enjoy chatting up.

So I finally clicked the article thinking "well let's give the article a chance and see what this is really all about" and it's a series of fucking tweets he sent in the span of a half hour at 2:30 am on a Saturday night.

Maybe he woke up the next morning and had a coffee and felt fucking fine? I hate the internet.

No need to hate, while I'm not atheist I'll just simply point out the obvious. While nothing you linked there even remotely qualifies as a peer reviewed study, there is a reason the saying is "ignorance is bliss".

While wealth might not bring happiness, poverty most certainly brings misery.

I am not an atheist but i am also non religious. I just dont believe and i am perfectly happy. Its actually better not thinking about what some magic man in the sky thinks of what every little thing i do is right or wrong. I have a moral compass, I dont need a book to tell me how to be a good human being. I was actually brought up christian and went to sunday school then realized it was all bs when i asked my sunday school teachers questions that they couldnt even answer like " if adam and eve were the first two humans and they had two sons and one killed the other,does that makes us all a product of incest?" or "what makes Christianity the right religion and Hinduism or Buddhism the wrong one, who says that what we believe in is true and what others are teaching is incorrect." They didnt like me because i thought too much out of the box.

No need to hate, while I'm not atheist I'll just simply point out the obvious. While nothing you linked there even remotely qualifies as a peer reviewed study, there is a reason the saying is "ignorance is bliss".

While wealth might not bring happiness, poverty most certainly brings misery.

Please feel free to google:

"Are religious people happier?"

I'm sure you'll find a few peer reviewed studies.

And I'm not saying that you can't be happy without God. But you're a lot more likely (twice in matter of fact) to be happy if you do believe in a deity or greater power.

Religious or not, statistically speaking, people of a religious base do tend to be happier.

I'm sure I'll earn the vile and hatred of God hating atheist with facts that religion isn't poison.

Cults make people happy and fulfill the need for a sense of belonging, that's why they're so common. Drugs can do the same thing. I think we can agree that just because something makes you happy doesn't mean it's good for you.

I have yet to meet an athiest who 'hates god.' If you're really interested in debating or learning about atheism why not talk/ask about it in a private message or a Genmay thread? I'd be happy to respond.

I am not an atheist but i am also non religious. I just dont believe and i am perfectly happy. Its actually better not thinking about what some magic man in the sky thinks of what every little thing i do is right or wrong.

Common misconception as to God's purpose for us. Do you think a god judges us for his benefit? Nah.

"For the wages of sin is death." This means we destroy our own lives and those we care about through wicked ways.

We are all imperfect. But living in God's grace means we live a clean life with a clear conscious. It also comes with a peace of mind that we are not alone in our struggles. The Bible isn't just a book with do's and don'ts (some of them flawed). Not all stories have to be taken literally. But those stories contain the struggles of others who shared in the same problems as human being we have today. And it shows the consequences of living a clean versus a sin filled life.

There is a quote in Life of Pi I like about Atheism ... generally I would agree with it that Atheism and religion are just two sides of the same coin ... pick a side, go with it and stop fighting with each other and trying to get the others to join your side ... it is entirely possible that both sides are wrong ;)

“It was my first clue that atheists are my brothers and sisters of a different faith. Like me, they go as far as the legs of reason will carry them - and then they leap. I'll be honest about it. It is not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics. Doubt is useful for awhile. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.”
― Yann Martel, Life of Pi

Cults make people happy and fulfill the need for a sense of belonging, that's why they're so common. Drugs can do the same thing. I think we can agree that just because something makes you happy doesn't mean it's good for you.

I have yet to meet an athiest who 'hates god.' If you're really interested in debating or learning about atheism why not talk/ask about it in a private message or a Genmay thread? I'd be happy to respond.

I find them every time I find an atheist who takes offense in people of faith.

And your argument is weak. We all know people who use drugs are not statistically happier. And I would love to see your statistics on harmful cults and their happiness. As I have seen non, then I find your arguments specious and speculative in nature.

I'm not saying religion can't be used in bad ways. Extremism/Radicalism in any form where is forced upon others is a bad thing. But imposing your beliefs (making others follow your belief system) isn't at the core of beliefs for most modern religions (Tao, Buddhist, Hindu, Christianity, Judaism.) They will happily teach you if you want to learn, and freely express their beliefs. But they won't force it upon you.

By my post you would think I'm a God/Jesus loving Bible thumper, and I'm not. But I do have respect for people of faith.

Common misconception as to God's purpose for us. Do you think a god judges us for his benefit? Nah.

"For the wages of sin is death." This means we destroy our own lives and those we care about through wicked ways.

We are all imperfect. But living in God's grace means we live a clean life with a clear conscious. It also comes with a peace of mind that we are not alone in our struggles. The Bible isn't just a book with do's and don'ts (some of them flawed). Not all stories have to be taken literally. But those stories contain the struggles of others who shared in the same problems as human being we have today. And it shows the consequences of living a clean versus a sin filled life.

Are you the type of person that thinks god has a plan for us and everything that happens to us is part of that plan? What about someone that is very ill and then gets better,do you thank modern medicine of gods miracle? What about those 70 refuges that suffocated to death in the back of a truck,was that gods plan for them? I am not a bitter person in real life and i tend to be nice to people even if they are not polite back. You dont have to follow a religion to be happy. After all we are just mammals that are at the top of the food pyramid that have adapted to this world and we are just living in it,after death nothing matters.

Are you the type of person that thinks god has a plan for us and everything that happens to us is part of that plan? What about someone that is very ill and then gets better,do you thank modern medicine of gods miracle? What about those 70 refuges that suffocated to death in the back of a truck,was that gods plan for them? I am not a bitter person in real life and i tend to be nice to people even if they are not polite back. You dont have to follow a religion to be happy. After all we are just mammals that are at the top of the food pyramid that have adapted to this world and we are just living in it,after death nothing matters.

Again, never said you had to follow religion to be happy. But you are twice as likely to be happy if you do.

Daughter to father: "What's the use to praying if God doesn't answer our prayers"

Father to daughter: "I love you so much, I wish I could give you everything you asked for. But I know if I did then you wouldn't learn or somebody else would suffer. God doesn't pick favorites that way. But they are all Gods children. And if you always got your way wouldn't be the same sweet girl who takes empathy in others suffering. No, when we pray we pray in empathy for others and ourselves. God is with us when we pray. And that brings us closer to peace." (which is also scientifically proven)

Please feel free to google:

"Are religious people happier?"

I'm sure you'll find a few peer reviewed studies.

And I'm not saying that you can't be happy without God. But you're a lot more likely (twice in matter of fact) to be happy if you do believe in a deity or greater power.
Which is why I deferred to the statement ignorance is bliss. People are happier when they have someone telling them how to live and giving them the illusion of no personal accountability. I may not like religion, but I certainly know how it works and why.

I will point out one statement you made that I vehemently disagree with. On religions not pushing their beliefs on others. While that may generally be true, it most certainly is not true about American Christianity. That group as a whole makes it a habit to shove their belief system on everyone else. While it may not be core to the religion itself, over here at least it is SOP so it may add well be considered as such because that is exactly how it is perceived.

Pay all my bills for the rest of my life and buy me a dream house(pay property taxes for life) and one of those American Airlines AAirpasses.

$2.5B...it's simply not possible to go broke with that kind of money.

If you had an even quarter-assed financial advisory team, they'd get you 3% annually on that, which works out to $75M a year. You would have to spend $205,500 every day just to spend the interest you've earned that year, much less even touch the principal.

It's a different level of rich. I won't lie, I've daydreamed a few times about those mega lotteries, $300 million...but you're still not even close to that level, you can't run around and buy $70M mansions in different locations in the world. Put a B on it, and it's like you're an alien from another universe your purchasing power is so different.

Back