Minecraft Bans NFTs/Blockchain, Mojang Doesn’t Want “Profiteering” or “Have and Have-Nots”

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
https://wccftech.com/minecraft-bans-nfts-blockchain-profiteering-have-and-have-nots/

"Each of these uses of NFTs and other blockchain technologies creates digital ownership based on scarcity and exclusion, which does not align with Minecraft values of creative inclusion and playing together. NFTs are not inclusive of all our community and create a scenario of the haves and the have-nots. The speculative pricing and investment mentality around NFTs takes the focus away from playing the game and encourages profiteering, which we think is inconsistent with the long-term joy and success of our players."

I'm still annoyed at having to create a Microsoft account, but I like this statement.

I didn't even know there was a framework for NFT's or Blockchain in Minecraft.

It's surprising they would need to "ban" it. Just don't integrate it into the game, and you should be good?

All that said, this is a positive development. Let's hope others follow suit.

It's surprising they would need to "ban" it. Just don't integrate it into the game, and you should be good?

Think mods, this is why they are choosing to ban them. Modified servers are all the rage.

There isn't. Apparently modders have been experimenting with them.

There have been a number of modding communities creating them and Microsoft has been pretty good at finding reasons to shut them down. I’m glad they are taking a stance on this and now have an official reason to ban them rather than find something obscure they are doing incorrectly.

I'm still annoyed at having to create a Microsoft account, but I like this statement.
I remember reading complaints about Microsoft locking accounts and requiring a phone number to unlock them. Do Microsoft accounts require a phone number?

I don't play Minecraft, so this isn't something I've experienced first hand. I have noticed an annoying trend for online service providers to demand or at least nag users for their phone numbers.

Not surprised — I imagine Mojang and Microsoft execs having nightmares of kids bankrupting their parents because they 'had' to buy a creeper NFT.
You forgot the /s.

Any company involved in video games dreams of adding a billion dollars to their bottom line with microtransactions fueled by kids torching mama and dadas credit cards. The problem here is Microsoft can't have iron fist, end to end control of a decentralized blockchain, or the NFTs running on top of it, and therefore it's "bad".

You forgot the /s.

Any company involved in video games dreams of adding a billion dollars to their bottom line with microtransactions fueled by kids torching mama and dadas credit cards. The problem here is Microsoft can't have iron fist, end to end control of a decentralized blockchain, or the NFTs running on top of it, and therefore it's "bad".
This is the United States where there might be more guns than there are people, and so many houses have gun safes. Ours is f'in huge and when children are around wallets go into it. You could achieve something similar with a smaller strong box of some kind.

I remember reading complaints about Microsoft locking accounts and requiring a phone number to unlock them. Do Microsoft accounts require a phone number?

I don't play Minecraft, so this isn't something I've experienced first hand. I have noticed an annoying trend for online service providers to demand or at least nag users for their phone numbers.
They have enabled 2 factor authentication on a number of things. They have not enforced it but if you choose to enable “enhanced” security on something then you are going to need to provide the basics of a 2 factor authentication. Be it, a secondary email on another domain, a cell number, or an authentication app.

All these crazy wanton desire to monetize every effing thing is finally getting some pushback. NFTs are the devils work and you like them, sorry, you're wrong.

You have it backward. NFT distribution allows the re-sale of digital items: this means big companies lose money through second-hand sales of their content.

Banning NFTs is Microsoft's way of making SURE people give them money instead of someone else.

Reactions: ~CS~
like this
I said it once, I said it twice about NFTs.

No
Fucking
Thanks!

NFT's as digital ownership of online JPEGs? Yeah. completely agree.

NFT's as a source of ACTUAL ownership and trackable consumer-to-consumer trading of digital/nonphysical goods? Completely disagree.

You have it backward. NFT distribution allows the re-sale of digital items: this means big companies lose money through second-hand sales of their content.

Banning NFTs is Microsoft's way of making SURE people give them money instead of someone else.
It's a retarded idea. Why should GIFs be special? They shouldn't.

I haven't had my account locked, so I can't speak to that, but it doesn't force you to give it a number when you create the account.
I have noticed an annoying trend for online service providers to demand or at least nag users for their phone numbers.
Yep. "You wouldn't want to forget your password, would you?" That's what "reset password" is for.

No take a look at all the NFT games out there and tell me the publisher doesn’t get their cut.

No take a look at all the NFT games out there and tell me the publisher doesn’t get their cut.
They do, at first. But when you can sell some of your DLC items to willing buyer for less than what it goes for on the publisher marketplace, the publisher loses money.

Current digital distribution platforms benefit greatly from the fact that selling you digital goods second-hand is impossible or against the TOCs.

Think. Why is selling stuff for real money in WOW against Blizzard's rules?

You forgot the /s.

Nah, not sarcastic. I don't think it's a lack of control so much as it is the likelihood for bad press and legal headaches if Microsoft and Mojang allow things like NFTs. The last thing they want is for an 8-year-old to bid a fortune on an NFT, or an investment scam to rip off thousands of players. Remember all those stories in the early App Store/Google Play days of kids racking up $5,000 bills for in-app purchases? Yeah, the money the companies made was more than offset by the criticism, lawsuits and threatened legislation. That's likely still true here.

No, it's not required. They have opt-in 2-factor authentication that you can tie your phone to, though.

They do, at first. But when you can sell some of your DLC items to willing buyer for less than what it goes for on the publisher marketplace, the publisher loses money.

Current digital distribution platforms benefit greatly from the fact that selling you digital goods second-hand is impossible or against the TOCs.

Think. Why is selling stuff for real money in WOW against Blizzard's rules?
The idea that you can sell some in-game item to another player willing to pay for it when you are done with it it is a trick to keep players engaged with the community by keeping them financially vested in it. Ubisoft was very clear in their letter to their investors on why making NFT games would be vastly more profitable than just selling DLC and Skins.

Agreed. NFT's are the ultimate example of developer greed.
I don't understand how selling horse armour DLC for $5 is any less greedy than selling horse armour DLC as an NFT for $5 that can be re-sold by the owner.

The idea that you can sell some in-game item to another player willing to pay for it when you are done with it it is a trick to keep players engaged with the community by keeping them financially vested in it. Ubisoft was very clear in their letter to their investors on why making NFT games would be vastly more profitable than just selling DLC and Skins.
How is it a trick?

I don't understand how selling horse armour DLC for $5 is any less greedy than selling horse armour DLC as an NFT for $5 that can be re-sold by the owner.
If all the NFT's were as cheap as DLC's, I think your point would be perfectly valid. The fact is that NFT's are an attempt at creating scarcity and rarity for something that can be replicated at functionally no cost indefinitely.

When the developer pockets 30% as a transaction fee and the horse is then resold for $12 and it’s the only one like that so really they are selling 12,000 different horse skins for $5 and taking the large cut each time it changes hands for an ever increasing amount.

When the developer pockets 30% as a transaction fee and the horse is then resold for $12 and it’s the only one like that so really they are selling 12,000 different horse skins for $5 and taking the large cut each time it changes hands for an ever increasing amount.
Exactly. When a developer sells DLC, they might be selling you something that's $5 to $20 from the cash shop or whatever but ultimately that gets split a lot of ways. However, NFT's can go for 10's of thousands of dollars and the developer gets a percentage of that in sales transactions.

Not surprised — I imagine Mojang and Microsoft execs having nightmares of kids bankrupting their parents because they 'had' to buy a creeper NFT.
Microsoft has wet dreams of bankrupting parents. Mojang are the ones against it. I'm sure daddy Microsoft will fix their anti-capitalist asses in a week.

Think mods, this is why they are choosing to ban them. Modified servers are all the rage.

Modded servers are basically a requirement if you want to run more than a few players. It's also the biggest reason that the game is still so popular.

Minecraft's vanilla server is hot garbage. Despite being 2022, it's still mostly a single threaded process, it's bloated and full of bugs and exploits. 3rd party server software like Paper Spigot fix a ton of issues with the game and is orders of magnitude more efficient because it properly threads out different parts of the engine. One big improvement is chunk generation, you don't have to worry about one player running off and causing horrific lag generating thousands of new chunks.

Modded servers are basically a requirement if you want to run more than a few players. It's also the biggest reason that the game is still so popular.

Minecraft's vanilla server is hot garbage. Despite being 2022, it's still mostly a single threaded process, it's bloated and full of bugs and exploits. 3rd party server software like Paper Spigot fix a ton of issues with the game and is orders of magnitude more efficient because it properly threads out different parts of the engine. One big improvement is chunk generation, you don't have to worry about one player running off and causing horrific lag generating thousands of new chunks.
Yup, kind of explains why I said they were all the rage. I don't have a problem with that, and yes vanilla sucks, so we're in agreement. So it's in their best interest to just ban nfts etc, to cover themselves and generally make the community safer in that regard.

Microsoft has also divided Minecraft into Java Edition and BedRock. BedRock is considered faster but if you get the Sodium addon which replaces the Minecraft engine for an optimized one, the game will run 500% faster or even more. It still uses OpenGL 3.3, which means mods are compatible, unlike BedRock which uses Direct3D. I've been able to get Minecraft working extremely fast on much older hardware this way. Microsoft is doing no favors to the community with how they are handling Minecraft. I'm not sure what force is keeping Minecraft as least somewhat the way it's been, but I think that's the same force that's keeping Minecraft away from NFT's. At least for the moment.

Back