Mine Crypto While You Drive - Or - Jacking it in Your Tesla

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Did you know that you can mine cryptocurrency while you drive your Tesla? Well, YOU can't, but Pirate Cryptojackers can. According to ZDNet, Redlock Cloud Security Intelligence has discovered cryptocurrency mining scripts running on Tesla's AWS resources. Well, that's not good.

Researchers from the RedLock Cloud Security Intelligence (CSI) team discovered that cryptocurrency mining scripts, used for cryptojacking -- the unauthorized use of computing power to mine cryptocurrency -- were operating on Tesla's unsecured Kubernetes instances, which allowed the attackers to steal the Tesla AWS compute resources to line their own pockets.

Tesla's AWS system also contained sensitive data including vehicle telemetry, which was exposed due to the unsecured credentials theft.

I told my mom that I was cryptojacking in the car the other day and someone saw me. She told me that I was going to Hell for sure, and if I got caught doing it around a school, I was going to have to register as a sex offender.

Stupidity attacks again. More cloud stuff, more companies not knowing how to secure it.

It’s a f***ing shared responsibility model for security. Aws doesn’t do it for you!

Crypto is nothing but a big underground mafia. It should be shut down, or taxed to holy hell.

Crypto is nothing but a big underground mafia. It should be shut down, or taxed to holy hell.
I sense some bitterness and confusion.

But it's not going anywhere, sorry. It's global - just like the internet and TCP/IP - and can't be "shut down" just because some arbitrary government or special interest is cranky about some of it's uses.

Last edited:
I sense some bitterness and confusion.

But it's not going anywhere, sorry. It's global - just like the internet and TCP/IP - and can't be "shut down" just because some arbitrary government or special interest is cranky about some of it's uses.
The internet can be shutdown for most users, easily.

Ya bought a 1080Ti lately? :rolleyes:
Many. Just needs patience. But lets face facts: we're talking about the highest end, luxury class GPU and its been 20% more expensive for a few weeks. This after people had almost an entire year to buy one at MSRP or below. Suddenly it's life and death and "PC gaming is dying!" Let's get a grip.

It's like when a restaurant suddenly gets popular, and all the people that had ignored it and always just driven by are now tantruming that they can't get a reservation easily.

Last edited:
Many. Just needs patience. But lets face facts: we're talking about the highest end, luxury class GPU and its been 20% more for a few weeks, after people had almost an entire year to buy one at MSRP or below. Suddenly it's life and death and "OMG, PC gaming is dying!" Let's get a grip.

It's like a restaurant that suddenly gets popular - and the people that always just ignored it are now tantruming that they can't get a reservation easily.

More like how people who understand the 1st law of thermodynamics are wondering how people think that using so much electricity and technology to magically make 'something' from nothing *ACTUALLY* means there's something being created.

More like how people who understand the 1st law of thermodynamics are wondering how people think that using so much electricity and technology to magically make 'something' from nothing *ACTUALLY* means there's something being created.
Not sure what this has to do with my post, but what do you think VISA's processing network runs on? Rainbow dust? No, electricity. And technology. And what does Visa's network create then, since by your definition,
it would be nothing.

The reality is they both use electricity and technology to create value by performing a transactional processing service.

Last edited:
All that has to happen is for governments to outlaw crypto-money as a source of payments. The value of the various "coins" will drop dramatically because it can no longer be used for legal purposes and the mining craze will be over. Will this kill crypto-mining? No. It will still be used for black market purchases. But if law abiding people can't use it to pay for legitimate goods or services, its appeal will drop dramatically.

I get the benefit of gaming as well as making money. Win win. For the people who are against it, more for me I guess!

The internet can be shutdown for most users, easily.

Crypto is not a single user on a single service, nor is the internet. Shutting down access to a internet SERVICE for a single user on that specific service would be easy, sure, but how about you try and block access to the internet for a single person, let me know how that works out.

Jealous Much?

1482-75-Graphic-Mine-mod.jpg

giphy.gif

Back