min. power reqs for 8800GT

bobzdar

[H]ard|Gawd
My current vid card is getting a bit long in the tooth and I need something a little more powerful for my sff to push my projector for newer games. I just started looking at the latest cards and my choice was coming down to a 7900GT or 8600GTS as both were in a similar price range and similar in performance and, more importantly, the best available with single slot cooling, with my preference going to the 8600GTS. However, with the new 8800GT, there's no reason to really consider anything else IF my power supply can handle it. Right now I'm running an x800xt with no problems, but as far as I can tell the 8800GT will be pulling around 35W more power (70W vs 105W). My current card may actually be using a bit more power as it's one of the infamous x800GTO's unlocked to full pipes/mem bus, I've never had any trouble with it unlocked but I've heard some were downgraded to GTO due to current draw... I've had great timing for my last 2 vid card upgrades (grabbed a 9500 non-pro and unlocked/oc'd to 9700 pro, same with the x800gto to x800xt) and it looks like I may have decided to upgrade at the exact right time again!

So, the only concern I have is power draw, has anyone see specs on min power reqs (12V rail specifically, overall wattages don't seem to apply to SFF psu's)?

BTW, with nvidia's newest 3d drivers and the fact that I have a DLP projector, I may be able to get true 3d out of this setup with page flip glasses. I've used it before with a CRT monitor and it was unbelievably good, but still had ghosting and once I went to LCD I couldn't use it anymore. DLP's can do it no problem and have the bonus of no ghosting. Should be awesome if I can push the refresh rate up a bit!

Back