Millions of Android Devices Vulnerable to Heartbleed Bug

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess it only makes sense that, with everything else vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug, Android devices would be too. :(

Millions of smartphones and tablets running Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system have the Heartbleed software bug, in a sign of how broadly the flaw extends beyond the Internet and into consumer devices.

bullshit, they will be once you change the password. wtf world do we live in smh.;)

How does a server side flaw affect a smartphone? Is vanilla Android really running an SSL server?

Not surprising at all.
What is also not surprising is that my Samsung tablet will never get patched. It's still stuck at Android 4.1.1. I guess it's too old.

The problem with smartphones and tablets is that they don't check for server cert revocation, so if you need to check the website to see that, you can either check the cert validation date within your desktop browser (Should be invalid BEFORE April 7th) but Gibson has a handy page you can check (on a desktop). You should have Chrome/Safari/FF set to check for server revocation. Then navigate to Steve's page at https://revoked.grc.com/ to see if your browser has alerted you the sites certs has been "revoked". If you see that "error" then that's GOOD, your browser is doing its job, otherwise if the page is actually displayed (and you should read what Steve wrote) then your browser isn't checking properly (not setup right) or the servers cert hasn't been updated.

Mobile devices don't have this built in functionality and depending on who you talk to in the security community - you either need to change your passwords on sites you securely log into or some think you don't need to bother. If you have 2-factor authentication set up you don't need to worry about your credentials being stolen.... but if you don't have it setup I would probably change your passwords for those sites, better safe than sorry..

Philip

The problem with smartphones and tablets is that they don't check for server cert revocation
Ah, now that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how a server side buffer overread was going to cause problems on my smartphone. I really wish all the reports on Heartbleed contained at least SOME technical details. The mainstream media really has no idea what this is all about. This morning, my local news stated that the government websites that had been down for 5 days due to the Heartbleed virus were now back up. :rolleyes:

Lookout Security has a Heartbleed Detector in the Google Play Store. Will let you know if your Android device is vulnerable, if it's active, and you can send the results to them to help with ongoing security research and development.

How does a server side flaw affect a smartphone? Is vanilla Android really running an SSL server?

I didn't read the article, but servers and clients can both request heartbeats, so if the client is running openssl, it can be exploited by a malicious server. Not sure what the practical damage is, though.

Hmmm.

The version of OpenSSL on your device is affected by the Heartbleed bug (1.0.1.c)

But the vulnerable behavior is not enabled

Everything is OK.

Got this on my phone and my Nexus 7.

Ah, now that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how a server side buffer overread was going to cause problems on my smartphone. I really wish all the reports on Heartbleed contained at least SOME technical details. The mainstream media really has no idea what this is all about. This morning, my local news stated that the government websites that had been down for 5 days due to the Heartbleed virus were now back up. :rolleyes:

The thing to keep in mind about Heartbleed is that as soon as websites are patched - and a lot of Big Iron sites (amazon, facebook, etc) already have been (or weren't vulnerable because they used something other than OpenSSL like IIS) patched, but it's the small mom and pops websites that may not know how to or even be aware.

You can also go to SSLlabs.com and click on their Server Test to see if a URL is still vulnerable. Don't bother with the other (filippo.??) it was shown to not work at all. Ivan from SSLlabs knows his stuff and implemented the test code quite well

Philip

Apple had their own brain dead SSL bug a little bit earlier this year, but this one should not affect them, since they don't use openssl
they *do* use openssl but .98 that wasn't affected by the bug

and if you're using safari on OS X here is how you can make it so you check certification revocation:

command + space > keychain access
open keychain access
preferences > certificates
hold down Option
change OCSP and CRL to "Require for all certificates"

What does the phone use SSL for exactly? Like, if my phone is just sitting on the table or I've only taken some phone calls or texts, is it exploitable, or do I need to actually be running a web server off it or something and have the port forwarded through my router? (unlikely for a phone)

What does the phone use SSL for exactly? Like, if my phone is just sitting on the table or I've only taken some phone calls or texts, is it exploitable, or do I need to actually be running a web server off it or something and have the port forwarded through my router? (unlikely for a phone)
it's checking server certificates to see if they are valid

it's not exploitable in the sense that someone can crack into your phone and do something to you but it's exploitable in the sense that a malicious website can pretend to be something it's not and your device wouldn't alert you to the fact

Not surprising at all.
What is also not surprising is that my Samsung tablet will never get patched. It's still stuck at Android 4.1.1. I guess it's too old.

I would say that will be true with the majority of android devices.

When you talk to a SSL server with your phone, its a two way street. You're both using the protocol one as client and one at server and client and server side probably share a lot of code. So someone could probably inpersonate a server and probe your phone's memory with recent communications likely being randomly spread in there.

It's already watching everything you do for Google. It shouldn't even bother people that they're compromised since that was pretty much a given considering the company that made the OS in the first place. :D

it's checking server certificates to see if they are valid

it's not exploitable in the sense that someone can crack into your phone and do something to you but it's exploitable in the sense that a malicious website can pretend to be something it's not and your device wouldn't alert you to the fact

Oh ok, does not sound that scary then, as long as they do patch it. I rarely visit the web with my phone anyway and the sites I do arn't even https.

This thread would have been four-five pages in a few hours if would have been iOS.

Since it is the super almighty Android designed by the Google god it gets a pass.

Interesting that Apple had nothing to say on the problem, denial solves the issue?

Interesting that Apple had nothing to say on the problem, denial solves the issue?
what are you talking about? Apple already made an announcement about it not being affected. What kind of statement should they make about android?

I just checked the test link using my Note 3 on Verizon running 4.3.0 and Chrome version 34.0.1847.114 appears to be vulnerable..This is interesting considering it is Samsung's *Current* Flagship device.:mad::mad:

Hmmm.

The version of OpenSSL on your device is affected by the Heartbleed bug (1.0.1.c)

But the vulnerable behavior is not enabled

Everything is OK.

Got this on my phone and my Nexus 7.

Didn't see this before, but Lookout's app tells me the same thing..So now which do I believe?

Back