Millennials Spend More Time Playing Video Games Than Gen Z and Teens, New Study Finds

erek

[H]F Junkie
Millennials, probably the worst gen of all time

"The younger generations of gamers are more interested in competitive gaming and making social connections, while older gamers gravitate more toward games with potential for intellectual stimulation."

Disney-Dreamlight-Valley.png

Source: https://variety.com/2023/gaming/news/millennials-video-games-gen-z-study-gaming-1235579573/

As for the OP, I've found myself pulling further and further away from gaming. I'll get myself hooked into something for a few weeks, and I quickly become burnt out. I've got so much that needs doing outside of gaming, that by the time I have an hour to kill, I don't have the mental capacity to game. I'd much rather sitting on the front porch sipping coffee and watching the bird feeder. For whatever reason, gaming nowadays seems far more complex than it used to be with stats, numbers, percentages, logs, etc.

The games I prefer almost always have a defined plot, good characters, and fun gameplay. Graphics are nice too.
Oh, and an ending. A game I can play forever without ever finishing it doesn't interest me. Just seems like a waste of time, and I don't play games to burn time. I consider games just another investment of my time, which I could spend doing something else.

When I was a kid, everyone was lining up to play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Cyberball, Tekken, etc. at the arcades. Basically just a face-to-face version of what's going on now. I have zero issue with this.

For whatever reason, gaming nowadays seems far more complex than it used to be with stats, numbers, percentages, logs, etc.

You can be a boomer like me and play old games. I just got a super famicom to play super mario world on my crt tv, with no lag and no crap. It's lovely.

That said, I'd love to play some more Civilization, etc, but that's such a time sink.

You can be a boomer like me and play old games. I just got a super famicom to play super mario world on my crt tv, with no lag and no crap. It's lovely.

That said, I'd love to play some more Civilization, etc, but that's such a time sink.
Its a bit of a conundrum for me. I don't mind the more complex games, but after spending a Saturday running brake lines in the truck, chasing a fuel leak in the car, changing three motorcycles tires, fixing a hydraulic line on the tractor, and trying to figure out why my kid's rc truck isn't shifting, I'm too burnt out the complexity of the games and the simpler games just don't do it for me anymore.

Few days ago Path of Exile videos started popping up in my feed and I'm getting the itch for it. But come 8pm, I'm ready for bed, not have three monitors running to keep eyes on the market, theroycrafting, and following a build guide. I haven't gamed in two or three weeks. Last year, I took five months off of gaming.

I woulda argue the gen after them is far worse, Millenials are in the late 30's and 40's now and own houses, have familes and jobs....
supposedly according to the latest trends Gen Z and Boomers relate on a lot of things including saying the younger Millieniums are garbage

seen an uptick in headlines and articles indicating that Gen Z and Boomers have a lot more in common

I still remember my parents telling me 80's music, movies, clothing, etc. were the worst. Things had peaked and that things were only going to go downhill from there. Current technology was going to ruin us all. Pretty sure their parents told them the same thing in the 60's. Every generation thinks that subsequent generations have shitty art and that they're lazy/soft and unsocialized.

I still remember my parents telling me 80's music, movies, clothing, etc. were the worst. Things had peaked and that things were only going to go downhill from there. Current technology was going to ruin us all. Pretty sure their parents told them the same thing in the 60's. Every generation thinks that subsequent generations have shitty art and that they're lazy/soft and unsocialized.

Except the hilarious difference is your parents were talking about a NES ruining civilization, we're talking about Boston Dynamics robots patrolling the streets of NYC lol

Edit: In the future it's gonna be "these eyeball nanobot needles aren't so bad, quit your bitching"

Millennials, probably the worst gen of all time
My internet started on 14.4kbps and my first gaming console was my parents atari 2600, first pc game i played was sim city (if you don't count math blaster at school). I grew up using dos commands because doing anything in windows 3.1 was worse. But that the life some of us millennials lived. It is a bit too all encompassing of a generation, im on the edge being born in 81 but these are still my people.... apparently.

supposedly according to the latest trends Gen Z and Boomers relate on a lot of things including saying the younger Millieniums are garbage

seen an uptick in headlines and articles indicating that Gen Z and Boomers have a lot more in common
I don't know what trash you're reading but I'd stop now since it's all probably very dumb.

The Alphabet Soup generation (Current Gen) is far worse than Mellinials. At least Mellinials know what a woman is :p

And how wrong were they ?

At least in term of 80s pop culture (clothes, car design, movies, music) in hindsight they were probably right, has for high tech world "ruining" us, hyperbole obviously but grounded in some truth or not ?:
https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/news/depression-rise-u-s-especially-among-young-teens

I imagine it is highly debated and hard to know, in hindsight kids sitting together to play Mario Kart or Golden Eye was much better than what we have now

Has for the lazy/soft, apparently testosterone level have been going down (against debated by how much), strength has well and the percentage of kids that would past the military standard of the past has been declining a lot
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...itary-recruiters-take-on-obesity-case-by-case

But like everything else, there a top small percentage of physical elite maybe more in shape than ever and a gym culture like ancient grec level.

Every generation think the youth as shitty art, lazy-soft, etc... but at what point they think they will be different as adult change a bit, did the elder of the silent generation or the ww2 generation thought of them as future lazy-soft adult ?

Has for the topic I would imagine that would be true of almost all things that existed in the 90s, Millennials past more time watching series, movies and so on and less time on tiktok, homework and others things more popular with the younger.

This personally doesn’t apply to me. New season of D3, I put in maybe 50-60 hours, and then just kinda stopped. Most of the time I play games maybe an hour a week.

Though I recently saw an article discussing that millennials actually are more addicted to their phones than gen z, and based on what I’ve seen, that I do find that to be true from personal experience.

opinion on scrolling Google YouTube Shorts?
I don't mindlessly scroll through Shorts. Personally, I copy the video URL and convert it to a normal Youtube link. I didn't even know Civvie was doing a series on TNT Evilution until I saw someone post it on Reddit. I didn't see it because it's a series of Shorts.

They keep saying Millennials … what they mean are adults between the ages of 35 and 50.
So basically anybody currently old enough to have been young with a console and in a position to have disposable income.
It's not quite that level. Depending on "who you're reading" Gen Y starts between 1979-1983. More recently it's been pushed more to the later years.
It's mostly 1982-1983 to I believe 1995? (Wiki defines them as 81-96) Basically people 27-42. If we want to be technical.

Gen X is 65-81' or whatever. Those are the folks pushing 50~ +/-.

what they mean are adults between the ages of 35 and 50.
There no clear-cut affair but often people mean
  • The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (82-99years old)
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (59-77 years old)
  • Gen X: Born 1965-1980 (47-62 years old)
  • Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (31-46 years old)
  • Gen Z: Born 1997-2012 (14-30 years old)
  • Gen Alpha: Born early 2010s-2025 (0-about 15 years old)
Adn they probably mean literary by Millenials, millenials, same for Gen Z what they say Gen Z no ?

They keep saying Millennials … what they mean are adults between the ages of 35 and 50.

Used to be that it was 1988 and later, but they deleted the generation between X and Millennial and stretched out the other two. I forget the real name for it, but we're nicknamed "the Oregon Trail" generation because we grew up playing video games in school for classwork.

Oh no, the people who came up on gaming...still game *shocker*. My grandparents came up on board games and still played dominos and cribbage well into their retirement. Surprises all around.

Apparently Gen X is dead to them since we don't even get a mention.

Yup. Gen X is ignored.

Business Insider blames millennials for ruining everything boomers care about. (By which they mean we don't have identical tastes to our parents, something they where never guilty of doing when younger🙄) .

Meanwhile half of the people shitposting about current teens/early 20s generation haven't figured out the people they're hating on are Zoomers now not Millennials. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Gen X got that Spice Girls Pepsi commercial instead of Social Security

Pfffft....I bet I have more hours gaming than most Millennials.

16,000 plus hours in Fallout 3 would be a good example. 5,700 hours in Fallout 4 another.

Back