Milky Way Estimate: 50 Billion Exoplanets

I think the beginning of our true voyages into space will be after we master the fundamentals of nanotechnology, which will allow us to study physics in a much more practical level...things like uniformed atomic layering to get a reinforced hull or actually viewing subatomic particles in action...

Actually, i'm not sure if I recall the movie right but if you use star trek physics to explain this you end up with basically pointing out that the torpedo was fired late in the action. This was intentional so that the asteroid could enter the warp bubble created by the engines wherein nothing is really moving faster than light and it's more like just shooting a rock in front of you. If you turn off the deflector so as not to alter it's path and pull the shields in to a closer proximity, you should be able to blast the rock and use the shields as a form of deflector to bounce the objects around you and out of the warp field without harming the ship.

For what it's worth, I still think we'll be using the singularity drives like the Romulans do. We need to create the gravity well necessary to bounce off the Terminus point and it's particle acceleration field to get enough blast to bounce to the other side of the universe at "warp" speeds :p

Better hope such a drive doesn't take you where the "gravity drive" in Event Horizion did... :eek:

Negative. Physics as we know it is not a contstant across our galaxy, let alone our universe. Massive amounts of gravity will throw everything out the window that we know, currently.

Perfect example is a blackhole. Those things really amaze me, I love reading the theories about them too. Totally blowing my mind like a stoner watching a beatle's music video.

I think the beginning of our true voyages into space will be after we master the fundamentals of nanotechnology, which will allow us to study physics in a much more practical level...things like uniformed atomic layering to get a reinforced hull or actually viewing subatomic particles in action...

VIEWING may never happen, I say may as it looks very improbable. Hard to see something when we are limited by our own biological limitations. I'm guessing we will invent something to mimic subatomic particles to "view" them but won't actually be subatomic material.

Cool now tell us how the replicators work.

We're closer to the replicator than we are interstellar travel. Maybe 20-50 years if things play out right. We need a HUGE advance in computer technology and memory to really handle things as were needed.

Just what the hell IS gravity anyway....instant in its effects, spanning light years, yet we have no way to 'view' this energy.

Makes my head spin, and apparantly, the galaxy...

Just what the hell IS gravity anyway....instant in its effects, spanning light years, yet we have no way to 'view' this energy.

Depends on how you word the question, we can link gravity to mass and its density but we can't explain how that mass obtained gravity nor how it exists.

Instant in its effects? No way. It's currently thought that the maximum speed of propagation is almost 3x10^8 m/s.

Our understanding of physics is not perfect nor absolute, so to say that other intelligent life are bound by the same laws of physics, is inaccurate.

lolwat? physics don't apply to me cas i'm from another planet! in fact in rand mcnally hamburgers eat people. now unless you plan on going beyond our universe into another dimension in accordance with the multiverse theory (which is a bit far fetched for me, an interesting concept and all but i'd need a bit more than some fancy maths to lend it any solid credibility) then you are bound by the physics of our observable universe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Instant in its effects? No way. It's currently thought that the maximum speed of propagation is almost 3x10^8 m/s.

It depends on what gravity is. If space is a "thing" and gravity is a distortion of that "thing", then the effects of a gravitational field would be governed by laws outside of the current understanding of physics. The properties of space itself would have to be determined, and there's a problem there. We exist inside multiple gravitational fields, so space itself would never be constant, and that would cause study to be even more vexing. Even the speed of light is affected by gravity, which is why it cannot escape a black hole. If gravity relies on some kind of particles, then quantum theory might have an answer at some point, but what gives particles mass would have to be discovered first. Right now they're looking for the Higg's Boson at the LHC, as it's theorized that the Higg's is responsible for mass. They might find it. They might not. We'll have to wait and see.

The only thing currently known to be instant in effects is quantum entanglement. It's very nifty, but it's also a puzzle as nobody knows how it works. It can be observed, but it cannot be explained as of yet. It works on a level outside of normal observations of transference of mass and energy. Since it is measurably instantaneous it's currently the best clue as to the possibilities of faster-than-light travel. Right now information can be sent faster than light by altering the properties of an entangled particle pair. It's already been done in a lab, albeit in a very primitive capacity. If entanglement ever becomes fully understood then it could revolutionize communications and computing, making instant and perfect communication possible between earth and remote probes or space craft and installations on other planets, and eliminate the line-of-sight necessity inherent in EM-based broadcast communications. Calling home from a base on Mars would be like calling your next-door neighbor. It may also explain why radio telescopes never hear anyone talking. If a civilization is advanced enough to travel between stars, they probably already use this kind of communication and it would be impossible for anyone on Earth to eavesdrop.

Of course, the real benefit of entanglement-based communications is that it would eliminate latency in computer networks. Lag would be gone and you could deathmatch between Hong Kong and London and it would be like playing on a LAN. :)

Of course, the real benefit of entanglement-based communications is that it would eliminate latency in computer networks. Lag would be gone and you could deathmatch between Hong Kong and London and it would be like playing on a LAN. :)

Hmm... quantum networking. The "packets" would exist in both the sender and receiver hardware simultaneously...

Perfect example is a blackhole. Those things really amaze me, I love reading the theories about them too. Totally blowing my mind like a stoner watching a beatle's music video.

The gravity effects would happen in a mass as "small" as our own star as well. There's just no current way we can really compute it right now. Blackholes are pretty damn awesome though. Want true power? Both destruction and creation! Check this out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7148671.stm

It depends on what gravity is. If space is a "thing" and gravity is a distortion of that "thing", then the effects of a gravitational field would be governed by laws outside of the current understanding of physics. The properties of space itself would have to be determined, and there's a problem there. We exist inside multiple gravitational fields, so space itself would never be constant, and that would cause study to be even more vexing. Even the speed of light is affected by gravity, which is why it cannot escape a black hole. If gravity relies on some kind of particles, then quantum theory might have an answer at some point, but what gives particles mass would have to be discovered first. Right now they're looking for the Higg's Boson at the LHC, as it's theorized that the Higg's is responsible for mass. They might find it. They might not. We'll have to wait and see.

The only thing currently known to be instant in effects is quantum entanglement. It's very nifty, but it's also a puzzle as nobody knows how it works. It can be observed, but it cannot be explained as of yet. It works on a level outside of normal observations of transference of mass and energy. Since it is measurably instantaneous it's currently the best clue as to the possibilities of faster-than-light travel. Right now information can be sent faster than light by altering the properties of an entangled particle pair. It's already been done in a lab, albeit in a very primitive capacity. If entanglement ever becomes fully understood then it could revolutionize communications and computing, making instant and perfect communication possible between earth and remote probes or space craft and installations on other planets, and eliminate the line-of-sight necessity inherent in EM-based broadcast communications. Calling home from a base on Mars would be like calling your next-door neighbor. It may also explain why radio telescopes never hear anyone talking. If a civilization is advanced enough to travel between stars, they probably already use this kind of communication and it would be impossible for anyone on Earth to eavesdrop.

Maximum speed of the propagation of a gravitational field, I should have said. Gravity doesn't change the speed of light, the speed of light is a defined constant. Photons change their velocity in a gravitational field, yes, but they change their velocity in many different mediums. Getting into "what is gravity" doesn't have much practical application unless you're backing it with math. Regardless as to what gravity is, the fields don't appear to travel faster than light according to experiments.

The gravity effects would happen in a mass as "small" as our own star as well. There's just no current way we can really compute it right now. Blackholes are pretty damn awesome though. Want true power? Both destruction and creation! Check this out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7148671.stm

Gravity has more questions un answered then answered, I'm sure if we can define gravity other then something we "experience through mass" we can do a lot more with our understanding of physics. It would be pretty sick if scientists found out that gravity does not require any mass to exist, that would throw a lot of what we are theorizing about blackholes right out of the water. I could go on about what-if's, but thats not what this is about and I'm sure you and a horde of others know more about physics then I do.

Back