MikroTik SFP+ 10gb switch? wow! Thoughts?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I just ordered a Dream Machine pro from Unifi store direct. I have no idea when they will ship it to me. Maybe in a few weeks who the hell knows.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the layer 2 Unifi XG-16 10gb switch on Amazon because I do not need a layer 3 switch since the DMPro can route layer 3 very fast plus its for my home stuff, and then I seen this little guy:

1586921247806.png

Is this thing anygood? Can it really route at wire speed, say, between vlans?

Anyone here running one? Can it make use of 802.1q for Vlan tagging? I dont need 16 10GB ports for my home for nearly $600.00. This looks like it might fit the bill for me but I am curious what the ]H] community thinks? Any other suggestions?

I just ordered a Dream Machine pro from Unifi store direct. I have no idea when they will ship it to me. Maybe in a few weeks who the hell knows.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the layer 2 Unifi XG-16 10gb switch on Amazon because I do not need a layer 3 switch since the DMPro can route layer 3 very fast plus its for my home stuff, and then I seen this little guy:

View attachment 237981

Is this thing anygood? Can it really route at wire speed, say, between vlans?

Anyone here running one? Can it make use of 802.1q for Vlan tagging? I dont need 16 10GB ports for my home for nearly $600.00. This looks like it might fit the bill for me but I am curious what the ]H] community thinks? Any other suggestions?

No it's not going to route at wire speed. I suspect it should perform pretty well at switching within vlans; but I bet it takes a significant hit if you ask anything CPU intensive of it.

Serve the Home did a review last fall: https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-crs305-1g-4sin-review-4-port-must-have-10gbe-switch/ not a super deep dive but it come across as decent for simple 10GbE networks.

No it's not going to route at wire speed. I suspect it should perform pretty well at switching within vlans; but I bet it takes a significant hit if you ask anything CPU intensive of it.

Serve the Home did a review last fall: https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-crs305-1g-4sin-review-4-port-must-have-10gbe-switch/ not a super deep dive but it come across as decent for simple 10GbE networks.

Ahh ok. Well it seems that all the l3 wirespeed could be done in the DM Pro cpu wwithout a problem from what ive read so even if its l2 only I could always use the Unifi to intervlan route anyways. Ill go read that review. Maybe ill just have to pony up 530 and get the unifi switch.

Edit: Ok I just burned through that review. Its slow on l3 and l2 still doesnt hit wire speeds so.... looking at other stuff. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back