Migrating windows 7 install to new motherboard.

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, so I had a Windows 7 install on an Asus P5Q Deluxe and that motherboard finally crapped out on me. So I've decided to migrate to an ASUS Maximus V Formula. So I'm going from a P45/ICH10R chipset to a Z77 chipset. Now my question is, is if I dump this hard drive directly into this install, will windows BSOD or go into the OS and start updating to the new motherboard? or should I boot into safemode, uninstall those drivers specific to the P5Q motherboard and reboot to let windows see the new drivers? I'm trying to avoid a complete reinstall, so if there is a way, complicated or easy to do this, I'm open to it.

I'm open to any suggestions and will try anything at this point to avoid a reinstall. Thank you for any help.

Safemode, uninstall any motherboard specific utilities (OCing tools, vendor-specific temp readouts etc) and drivers. After doing that you should be able to boot back into full Windows.

Safemode, uninstall any motherboard specific utilities (OCing tools, vendor-specific temp readouts etc) and drivers. After doing that you should be able to boot back into full Windows.

I will try that. Thank you.

Okay, so I had a Windows 7 install on an Asus P5Q Deluxe and that motherboard finally crapped out on me. So I've decided to migrate to an ASUS Maximus V Formula. So I'm going from a P45/ICH10R chipset to a Z77 chipset. Now my question is, is if I dump this hard drive directly into this install, will windows BSOD or go into the OS and start updating to the new motherboard? or should I boot into safemode, uninstall those drivers specific to the P5Q motherboard and reboot to let windows see the new drivers? I'm trying to avoid a complete reinstall, so if there is a way, complicated or easy to do this, I'm open to it.

I'm open to any suggestions and will try anything at this point to avoid a reinstall. Thank you for any help.

i done it many times, just do what Skripka said, it should work.

reinstalling is waste of time.

i done it many times, just do what Skripka said, it should work.

reinstalling is waste of time.

It's worked great for me every time I've had to replace hardware. Very rarely have I had a BSOD on Windows 7 or 8 after replacing major hardware. It finds the new drivers and installs them. Piece of cake.

Although, I usually try and reinstall when I get the chance. Mostly because I like a clean system. I didn't have any stability or driver issues at all, just out of habit and OCD.

It's worked great for me every time I've had to replace hardware. Very rarely have I had a BSOD on Windows 7 or 8 after replacing major hardware. It finds the new drivers and installs them. Piece of cake.

Although, I usually try and reinstall when I get the chance. Mostly because I like a clean system. I didn't have any stability or driver issues at all, just out of habit and OCD.

Okay, sounds good. Looks like this might be the ticket. Now I just need to finish the build and get to it. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you.

on my main rig, the last time I had 100% clean install was vista :D

Installed, vista, then vista sp1, vista sp2, windows 7, and 7 sp1.

In that time I went through nforce680i, x58, and now z77, that just one one system, I have over 250 apps/games installed, so I will do everything to avoid reinstalling. would take weeks if not months to get everything back the way i want it.

On montly basis I do backup of primary and secondary partition (where OS, documents and programs are). So far only used it once (look below)

When windows 7 first came out, I did experiment, upgraded vista to 7, ran bunch of benchmarks, then I did a fresh install of windows 7 and ran the same benchmarks. There was no difference.

After that I restored the backup and had everything back.

Okay, dumb question, do I boot into safemode on the new machine and clean out all the old P45/motherboard specific drivers, then reboot normally?

If it boots then you don't need to go into safe mode.

Windows 7 is much more forgiving tan XP was, going from Intel to Intel is rarely a problema. I'd disable AHCI just to be safe. You can enable it later.

If it boots then you don't need to go into safe mode.

Windows 7 is much more forgiving tan XP was, going from Intel to Intel is rarely a problema. I'd disable AHCI just to be safe. You can enable it later.

Ah, that's a good call. Would never have thought of disabling AHCI.

Okay, dumb question, do I boot into safemode on the new machine and clean out all the old P45/motherboard specific drivers, then reboot normally?

no, you do that on the old motherboard

while the p45 is still in, boot in safemode and remove all motherboard specific apps/drivers

don't reboot, just shutdown

switch boards out

start pc, wait for it to install motherboard drivers.

no, you do that on the old motherboard

while the p45 is still in, boot in safemode and remove all motherboard specific apps/drivers

don't reboot, just shutdown

switch boards out

start pc, wait for it to install motherboard drivers.

My P5Q Deluxe crapped out on me and it doesn't work anymore, so now I'm confused. Do i have to do this to another P5Q/P45 board or can I boot into safemode with the new motherboard?

Back