migrating to a new drive as primary

dslrjunky

2[H]4U
so since this is my first venture to macs I was wondering on how do I back up my data if I only have 2 drives. I bought the seagate XT for cheap at bestbuy and I want to keep my data on my stock drive and make the XT as my new primary drive.. Im looking into enclosures for my stock drive but im not sure how do I go about transferring datas as it stands now i used up about 200gb -/+ already... thanks!!

mbp 2010 15" i5 8gb ram

im thinking i might need a 3rd drive but you guys may have better ideas than me..

either superduper or backup with time machine.
SuperDuper will make a bit for bit backup while Time Machine will backup all your files and settings but you will have to reinstall the programs (like Office and Firefox, chrome, etc)

either superduper or backup with time machine.
SuperDuper will make a bit for bit backup while Time Machine will backup all your files and settings but you will have to reinstall the programs (like Office and Firefox, chrome, etc)

I didn't have to reinstall all my programs, but I did have to repunch my Office 11 key back in. Other than that, there was nothing to do after restoring from Time Machine.

hmm. i definitely had to. is there a setting i'm missing somewhere?

figured it out

what i did was

1.re-install mac osx
2.migrate my stock drive (used it with an enclosure)

thats about it..

Back