Migrating standard ssd OS boot drive to M.2 nvme boot drive??? Also program to migrate 4tb to 5tb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm currently on z87 and a Corsair Neutron GTX for my OS drive. Have z170 parts inbound and still need to pickup a nvme m.2 950 pro drive. I've heard this is a real PITA to do. Is there specific steps/guide somewhere for doing this? Is there Samsung software that will migrate the OS install from a standard ssd to the m.2 drive or any suggestions for a simple program that will do it? nvme is completely new tech to me so I'm extremely lost as to what to do.

It's been a while since I have migrated a normal sata drive also. I currently have a wd black 4tb and have a 5tb incoming from Newegg. I want to migrate the 4tb to the 5tb drive to keep it intact. (My steam drive) I remember trying several programs in the past some of them take forever others are faster. I just don't remember which are which lol and prefer to not keep the computer on for days just migrating a drive if possible. If that is the case I might as well just use my 236meg connection and redownload everything from scratch. lol

Doesn't the samsung software do this?

Correct. I went from 850 evo boot drive -> 950 Pro nvme and I just had the samsung software (Samsung Migration?) copy it over. SSD to NVME SSD took honestly just a few minutes to copy everything.

Ok wasn't exactly sure considering all the horror stories I've seen about boot loops no os found issues with uefi bios recognizing os getting corrupted or not booting into os properly. Now to just figure out the lingo with it sharing bandwith and killing some of the sata slots from functioning at sata 6gb. (Although I think that is on some other boards as I didn't notice this in the specs for the Formula) and what the difference is in sata and pcie mode. Although I assume the 950 M.2 will be considered pcie therefore according to the manual sata 6GB and pcie mode will be enabled when mpcie device is inserted and u.2 is disabled.

How about a cloning/migration program that is efficient for large spinning drives? The last time about a year ago I remember switching from a 3tb to 6tb on my server and I chose the wrong program. Was saying it would take 12+ hours to complete. I ended up canceling that and found a different program to use that was done in a matter of hours. I forgot which one was which though. :-(

I'm doing the same thing. Have an ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 using a Samsung 840 500Gb SSD as the boot drive. Have a 950 Pro 512 NVMe coming. I'm hoping it's as simple as install 950, use the Samsung migrate program to clone the 840, power down, remove 840, boot into BIOS, set the 950 as the boot drive then boot into Win 10 and install the samsung driver.
Any settings in the BIOS I need to change? CSM enabled or disabled?

Sam

For my system I needed to update my bios/UEFI to see NVME stuff. It went super fast and super easy.

As an aside, I think if you do a fresh install of Windows 7 on the NVME drives you need the NVME drivers since the actual install CD for the OS does not have it.

For my system I needed to update my bios/UEFI to see NVME stuff. It went super fast and super easy.

As an aside, I think if you do a fresh install of Windows 7 on the NVME drives you need the NVME drivers since the actual install CD for the OS does not have it.
What about Win 10? I should really upgrade then I wouldn't even need to worry about migrating anything. I would just have to worry about if the system will install to the nvme drive on a fresh system. lol

Can the Samsung software be used to migrate from a Samsung SSD to Corsair? Thinking about using my neutron in my server instead of my Evo since it's faster. Although smaller but I'm sitting here with 152GB free on the Evo as it is so it's wasted space and a slower ssd.

No ideas for spinning sata data migration programs that don't take forever anyone?

No ideas for spinning sata data migration programs that don't take forever anyone?

If the drive is nearly full I would use ddrescue to make a bit for bit copy then expand the partition. This will be as fast as you can get at around 8 hours or so (since that is how long it takes to read every sector sequentially in a 4TB drive).

If the drive is not 80% full I would recommend clonezilla. This will copy only the sectors that have data on them.

What about Win 10? I should really upgrade then I wouldn't even need to worry about migrating anything. I would just have to worry about if the system will install to the nvme drive on a fresh system. lol

Can the Samsung software be used to migrate from a Samsung SSD to Corsair? Thinking about using my neutron in my server instead of my Evo since it's faster. Although smaller but I'm sitting here with 152GB free on the Evo as it is so it's wasted space and a slower ssd.

Win 10 supports NVME out of the box I believe.

Not sure about Samsung -> Non Samsung. I have gone only from Samsung -> Samsung and Non Samsung - > Samsung with it.

As far as other data migration programs, I have used Macrium Reflect Free in the past with good success. Fairly straightforward program.

For non-boot drives, just copy the data through Explorer (or robocopy if you care about timestamps and such), then change the drive letter to that of the old drive.

Reactions: scgt1
like this
For non-boot drives, just copy the data through Explorer (or robocopy if you care about timestamps and such), then change the drive letter to that of the old drive.
I feel like a GD idiot right now. That is what I ended up doing when I went from 3tb to 6tb after I noticed how long the program was going to take.

What about Win 10? I should really upgrade then I wouldn't even need to worry about migrating anything.
I'd clone then upgrade to 10. If anything goes wrong, you'll still have a working Win7 install on the other drive.

Once the system runs 10, you can do a fresh install pretty quickly.

I'd clone then upgrade to 10. If anything goes wrong, you'll still have a working Win7 install on the other drive.

Once the system runs 10, you can do a fresh install pretty quickly.
Was thinking of plopping the nvme drive in and building the system then booting with a win 10 pro disk and just doing fresh. I want to have steam run on the nvme drive but most games that I don't play I want on the new 5tb that is coming today. So pretty much every game I own other then MWO since that's all I've been playing lol. If I move/reinstall steam it's going to screw up the associations to the games anyway so might as well just do a fresh load of everything. I have unlimited data and a 236meg down connection so I'm not really worried about having to download everything again. Unless there are some tricks for a fresh install of steam and associating it afterwards to games already installed which I don't think there is since it installs some game data to your documents folder which has always annoyed the hell out of me. I set steam to be on my 4tb I don't want any of it on my os drive. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back