Migrating local user account to a new machine, how?

gupp

n00b
Hello all,

I have a standalone web server that uses local accounts for the users to authenticate against in its Windows Services enviroment.

I need to migrate the services to new hardware, but I would like to avoid having to reset all the users password.

Is there any way I can export the user accounts with their password to the new machine?

I know there might be some SID issues, but Im willing to change the SID of the new machine to match the old one if that is needed.

Thanks a ton.

System Properties, Advanced, User Profiles, Settings, Copy To

No idea if this will save their passwords or not, but it will save everything else. Also I'm pretty sure you can't be logged in as the user you're trying to copy.

Hey again,
both those suggestions will just copy the profile. I dont need that, or any of the other files assosiated with a users account. I just need the account itself, and its password.

I came accross USMT, a MS application that is supposed to migrate user accounts with passwords, but I cant get it to work, there are like a million switches you can use to grab profiles and other local files, but like I said, I JUST want the account and password.

Thanks again.

you don't need any software to do it. there are commands that you can use in a batch file that will give you just the user account and password. i'm sorry i don't know any of the commands or where to get them, but it can help you in your search.

we recently did it here at work. we migrated local user accounts from server 2003 to active directory on a new server. it was all done through a batch file.

good luck!

Back