Migrating DNS/DHCP from 2003 to a new 2012 Server - anyone successful

kurabii

Weaksauce
Anyone successful in migrating these components? Have a small business looking to make the move and would like to entertain the process and procedure. Has anyone seen a nice thorough walk through?

Thanks in advance

Ive done it a few times, assume ths is an active directory setup?

New system, add DNS role, add DHCP role, configure DNS and make sure its working rght
Old system, add new DNS server to the DHCP scope options, set DHCP lease to 1 hr
New system, configure DHCP role to match the old system, but leave out the old DNS server from the scope options, activate the scope
Old system, deactivate the DHCP scope
over the next few hrs the systems should check in and get an IP from the new scope

Looking for the rep button, Ill fill in the blanks from here. Thanks sir. If all goes wrong. How much do you think it would cost to have this process performed? this is a 20 workstation setup.

20 workstations, shouldnt matter if its 200 though, Im assuming your only doing this on the new and old servers?
Cost wise Id say $550 flat rate

I did this at my last job, was pretty easy to do. Just follow the steps that dbwillis stated and you should be good to go. Let us know how it works out.

I've done it several times. However I took a different path. I did this: Step-By-Step: Migration of DHCP from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 This will export the DHCP database and scope settings from the 2003 server and import them into the 2012 server. This saves you from having to put all the reservations, if any, back into the server and your scope settings.

Most devices will handle this OK... When they can no longer contact the old DHCP server for renewal they will look for a new one instead. However I did have some devices however that didn't.. (Brother printers) Had to reboot/power cycle to get them to pull a IP from the new DHCP server.

Back