Migrate users/groups from one PC to another?-non AD

thedude

n00b
I am in charge of a small network consisting of ~55 PCs using an IBM NAS for a central file store. This network is not on a domain, the NAS runs a modified version of win2k server.

I have a new Dell NAS on the way. This is running Win2k3 storage server.

I would like to migrate all users and groups from the IBM to the Dell maintaining group assigments and user passwords. In addition, I need to copy the file system (shares etc...) while maintaining permissions.

I would really like to find a tool that does this automagically and I don't expect it to be free. However I am finding little doing google searches as most software is written for AD migration and I'm afraid that they won't help me in my specific scenario. Yes, I could re-create it all by hand, but it would be nice to have the computer do it for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think there may be a tool in the Resource Kit for Server 2003. I thought I saw something like it.

The only thing I have seen or can think of to do what you are asking is to script it so you can copy the SIDs. But, it's a boat load of work to do.

Not that this directly helps you with your situation, but could this be an opportunity for you to get the network running on a Win2k3 domain? It would save you much trouble in the future. Or is it just out of the question.

Back