migrate to new server

Imaulle

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I have a server running CENTOS 4.9 with 116 accounts/domains/websites etc on it and I need to move all of these to a new server running CENTOS 5.6. I have root access to both servers, so what is the best/easiest way to do this? rsync? Also is there an easy guide to do this? I can do basic commands like apt-get install etc.

thanks!

You're probably fucked since you've confused apt-get for yum :D

Do you have any control panels?

apt-get was not on centos then hmmm. some other distro I don't remember which haha.

both have whm/cpanel.. but I was wrong I guess, I just got the account info for the old server, the old server we do not have root for, but we are paying for a 'dedicated' server, another reason we are leaving their hosting... they are ripping us off with a super shitty server.

I tried the account transfers in WHM and it asks for root password or says I can do sudo but our account is not on the sudo list :\

apt-get is typically on debian style boxes
You can definitely install it on other machines though, it's all software in the end

You can use cpanel to export --> create a full backup

If you are paying for a dedicated server, or even a vps you should get a root password lol, only shared hosting wouldn't give you root access

Do you have 116 accounts in your single cpanel setup, or what is the situation? Are you using cpanel reseller?

we are paying $350 a month and it is a dedicated server according to them, but since it's a "managed dedicated server" they will not give out root access. makes no sense to me... I had to request them make cpanel backups and they have put them into /home/cpdumps/ for me...

now I guess I can just use rsync to copy that entire folder? would this work:

rsync -auv -e ssh --progress /home/cpdumps/ root@ip:/home/cpdumps/

or is there a better way? thanks for your help...

yes, once you rsync the .tar you cpanel restore it into the new one

300$/mo should've been a really fucking nice server.....
what's your old host so we all know to avoid them

site5 is the old host...

uuuuughhhh the cpanel backups are only half way done now. going on 6 hours.. 60~ accounts to go.. each account max 2 gigs storage.. seems a bit slow.... ???

cpanel backup takes a while
Depends on the box you have as well

You're going to cry when you find out how long rsync takes :)
One of my old clients had a host where their upload was on 10mbit, took a fucking long time to transfer 40gb cpanel backup

hey vraa one last question... Should a $350/month server have stability issues while doing these cpanel backups? The apache/mysql have been very very very very slow since they started this... most pages don't even load... I really feel like we are not getting the server we are paying for...

how old is it? if you bought it withing the past 2 years then there is definitely a problem...

No it definitely shouldn't, but things will be very slow when doing the cpanel backup since it's a very server intensive process

To be honest though, you definitely need to make sure you are getting your moneys worth and comparing prices, these are some of the hosts I am a fan of, I'm sure others will also throw in their ideas and opinions

hostdime.com
linode.com
johncompanies.com
slicehost.com / rackspace.com
theplanet

There are a ton of solid companies, for 350$/mo you should be getting some helluva badass shit

We're moving all of our site5 servers to Wiredtree. We already have about 20 servers with them and so far we are very happy. it costs about the same and we can host almost 50% more accounts on a server with unlimited BW.

but yeah something is definitely wrong with this server. apache/mysql has been unresponsive all day. We were also paying extra for a backup service and turns out none of that was running either.. fuck I'm so pissed haha. almost 24 hours and the cpanel backups are not done yet

Do you have shell access? Run top or iostat and find out what's going on

Do you have any monitoring? Munin? collectd? serverstats or phpsysinfo?

everything looks to be done now with the cpanel backups.

I did top/iostatand its showing 80% idle cpu but only 2gb ram when we're supposed to have 4... Things still seem pretty slow too. but nothing abnormal that I can see in top other then the 100% ram usage and only 2 gigs

waiting on them to respond with where/how I can access the backups... ugh...

nothing comes up with find -name "backup*.tar.gz"

omfg.. 26 hours and only 28 accounts have been backed up.... WHAT THE SHIT!!

well shit, I guess I see why it's so slow...

08:11:26 PM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %irq %soft %idle intr/s
08:11:26 PM all 12.80 1.29 2.73 7.07 0.00 0.00 76.09 324.95
08:11:26 PM 0 12.80 1.29 2.73 7.07 0.00 0.00 76.09 324.95

only 1 fucking core?!??!??!?!?!?!? $350 a month for 2gb of ram and ONE GOD DAMN CPU CORE??????

I did:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease

and it echo:

2.6.9-89.31.1.EL

does this kernel not support a quadcore?

$350 a month now is seriously like a 12 core server with 24GB RAM on a 100mbit pipe.

We kept bitching and bitching till we got a Sys Admin who wasn't a complete fucking idiot and he told us that the server was never rebooted to the correct kernal that supports more than 1 core. So we've only been on one core on 3 of our servers for over a year.... ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Back