Migrate from Win2K3 SBS to Win2K3 Standard?

aphex187

Gawd
We currently have a server running Windows 2003 Small Business Server (SBS) and we are adding other servers to the network and realizing that SBS is no longer going to suit our needs. We have a domain built around the SBS server and we need to upgrade the machine to Standard.

Ideally - I would like to be able to uninstall SBS and install Standard Ed. on the box. How would I go about doing this? I *do* have a Win2K3 Standard Ed. box on the network in another location. How can I get all the domain info, etc to the other 2K3 Std box? And how can I get that data back to the orginal box once I have standard on it?

I hope this all makes sense, please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance!!

SJConsultant:

We want more than one Domain Controller - eventually 3 to be exact because there will be 3 offices connected remotely.

We want Exchange on a seperate server & we will need Exchange Enterprise Ed. since Std doesnt support more than 16gb of mail.

If we purchase the transition pack - aren't we still going to have to pay the full price for Exchange Enterprise?

I understand the reason for the transition pack, I'm just not sure what I'm still going to need.

EDIT: If we go with the transition pack - we don't have to reinstall Win2K3? We can continue on as normal, adding DC's, etc? And also go ahead and install MSX on another box?

Thanks!

Depending on your exact plans for additional DCs. SBS does allow additional DCs on the network, it's just SBS must hold all FSMO roles and be the root of AD.

There will be an update to Windows Server 2003 that has some enhanced features for branch office scenarios.

As far as Exchange 2003 is concerned, Microsoft is going to be releasing an update that will increase the 16GB limit to 75GB.

It may be wise to wait a bit to see the final docs and specs on these updates to see if they will fit your needs. It could save quite a bit of money in the long run.

As far as the transition pack is concerned, I can' t be much help since I do not possess any experience with deploying it.

SJConsultant said:
Depending on your exact plans for additional DCs. SBS does allow additional DCs on the network, it's just SBS must hold all FSMO roles and be the root of AD.

There will be an update to Windows Server 2003 that has some enhanced features for branch office scenarios.

As far as Exchange 2003 is concerned, Microsoft is going to be releasing an update that will increase the 16GB limit to 75GB.

It may be wise to wait a bit to see the final docs and specs on these updates to see if they will fit your needs. It could save quite a bit of money in the long run.

As far as the transition pack is concerned, I can' t be much help since I do not possess any experience with deploying it.

Wow - thanks for the heads up. The 75GB is a huge improvement. I think the transition pack is going to be what we need to seperate Exchange from the SBS box. However, I think we may wait for SP2 to come out before rolling forward with these plans since I want to see all of SP2s improvements.

If anyone else can give me more info on the Transition pack, I would appreciate it.

Back