Might have killed my RX9800 with vga silencer

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
So i finally got some ram sinks for the damn card and decided to install the vga silencer.

I pop off the msi cooler, remove thermal residue from core, apply ram sinks, apply AS cremique, screw on vga silencer.... Anyway, i pop it back on my nf7-s and booter up. The fan works but theres no post or hd activity.

I clear the CMOS manually and try again. Same thing as before but now the harddrive and dvd-roms are powering up. No video / Bios

I checked the core and it didn't crack so i have no idea why its not working. I really need this shit solved as i have an important 3dmax project due soon and my parrents' computer cant hack it.

It is possible that the fan is getting power but the card doesn't recognise it being there and thus will not start up. Try to make sure the fan cable is secure.

I didn't relise that the card needed to detect the fan. I heard oh peple hooking their fans stright up to their psus... or maybe i just made that up, lol. I'll go check her out

well now i only get silencer/cpu fan activity when i power up.

i'm gonna try to put the msi cooler back on, maybe the siencer is drawing too much power from the card

EDIT still not working with stock cooler. how the hell could this have happened? the core is intact so wtf

Ok i just tired it with my parrents' ati7000 and i'm still getting the same shit. Is there something fucked with my motherboard now?

i did, i went through all my ram sticks in dimm1. no hdd, no vid just mem and cpu and i didn't get any sort of post beep.

EDIT I just tired the rx9800 on my parrents computer and when i tunred it on the only thing that happened is the video cooler powered up and thats it.

how about plugging in the stock fan to it, and powering the silencer fan from another source, just for scientificc purposes?

Were you wearing socks and touching the cards without touching the case? Was the computer plugged in when you started messing with it? There are a number of problems. It might even be a corrupt CMOS. I'd check the mobo.

What about the power connector to the graphics card from the power supply? Is that plugged in firmly, no shorts or loose molex wires?

Same problem happened to me when i put an ati silencer on my old 9700pro. It ran fine after removing some traces of AS around the board. Make sure your card is properly seated also.

Back