Might change OS

fightingfi

2[H]4U
Ok so win 10 is sounding freaky\spying stuff so i was thinking of going Linux aka Ubuntu for my gaming system if MS forces it on us thats what im doing or would like to.

Would i be able to run all my games or just the ones that are supported by Linux? i play mostly FPS if not all the time and flight sims

Tankies in Advance ;)

I keep a Windows dual boot just for games, the rest I use Linux and OSX.

It's really the best compromise I recommend to people who want to test other OS waters. Hopefully one day soon-ish Vulkan will level the field for games and we won't have a need to keep Windows just-in-case.

Windows 10 actually sends much less data to Microsoft than Android sends to Google or iOS to Apple and almost all of it is totally anonymous (all of the "spying" stuff is, it's up to you to set up the things that are not anonymous).

If you do go to Linux make sure not to install Chromium, because it sends data to Google. Firefox, because it sends data to Mozilla, any of Ubuntu's sponsored search lenses that send data to Amazon, or numerous other agencies. Actually Ubuntu sends more data to Canonical than Windows 10 sends to Microsoft too.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't move to Linux, I don't have any problem with Linux, just that your rationale is faulty.

I guess am I missing something? why not just put Windows 7 back on.. That is all I did, I just did a dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows 10.. no biggie.. if you never use the Windows 10 for a long time then you are ok. Considering the uptake of Windows 10, I'd say you have a good while before Windows 7 isn't supported by the gaming scene and then you can consider the Linux/Alternate OS..

Windows 10 actually sends much less data to Microsoft than Android sends to Google or iOS to Apple and almost all of it is totally anonymous (all of the "spying" stuff is, it's up to you to set up the things that are not anonymous).

If you do go to Linux make sure not to install Chromium, because it sends data to Google. Firefox, because it sends data to Mozilla, any of Ubuntu's sponsored search lenses that send data to Amazon, or numerous other agencies. Actually Ubuntu sends more data to Canonical than Windows 10 sends to Microsoft too.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't move to Linux, I don't have any problem with Linux, just that your rationale is faulty.

Actually, you don't know what Windows 10 sends to the mothership, because MS refuses to disclose it. They insist on keeping it a blank check so they can change it at any time without notice - read the EULA.

That said, it doesn't matter what "Android/iOS/Facebook" do because WGAF, those services are optional. My PC operating system however is not optional - you can't just stop using the OS itself and continue to work/play. I can stop using Chrome/Google/Apple/FB and continue to work/play. When spying is built into the DNA of the OS itself, that's a problem, and a line in the sand for many people.

Two wrongs also don't make a right, and there's no excuse for MS not providing a working OFF switch for the data collection for those that want to opt out. Really not a difficult concept here. How anyone argues against an opt-out is fucking baffling unless they're just closet shareholders or MS employees.

How anyone argues against an opt-out is fucking baffling unless they're just closet shareholders or MS employees.

This passive aggressive accusation is my favorite on the internet.

Several sources need here.

I guess am I missing something? why not just put Windows 7 back on.. That is all I did, I just did a dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows 10.. no biggie.. if you never use the Windows 10 for a long time then you are ok. Considering the uptake of Windows 10, I'd say you have a good while before Windows 7 isn't supported by the gaming scene and then you can consider the Linux/Alternate OS..

DX12... Also good luck with linux for gaming. Still cant get 3/4 the performance you would in windows.

For Linux browsers you can always use a TOR setup, or compile your own Firefox variant.

Actually, you don't know what Windows 10 sends to the mothership, because MS refuses to disclose it. They insist on keeping it a blank check so they can change it at any time without notice - read the EULA.

What, we shouldn't trust a corporation? :p

DX12... Also good luck with linux for gaming. Still cant get 3/4 the performance you would in windows.

Actually, you do pretty much get 3/4. It's almost a 25% frame rate drop in my favorite games, with the system in my sig. But, you know what? 75-85fps is plenty.

This is just speculation on my part, but if you turn all of the privacy options off or to the lowest settings, you should be REASONABLY fine with Windows 10.

HOWEVER: They've already started pissing me off with this. It just updated to a new build about two weeks ago, and when it was finished, all of these privacy options were turned back to their defaults (which are mostly On or High positions) and it rearranged all my desktop icons back to the left, etc. just like any other Windows Upgrade install. Fucking ridiculous. If they're going to present these options, they should maintain the user's selections when they force an updated build on you. I know they're just hoping you don't notice so they can collect a bit more information until you DO notice. I just turned them all off again, and it should be fine until they push another full build out, but still. LAME!!!

Otherwise I think Windows 10 is better in every way to any previous version.

I love Linux too, but for gaming, it's really not where Windows is, so I wouldn't recommend it for a solely gaming machine YET. Maybe look at Steam OS since your focus is games if you really want Linux?

Actually, you do pretty much get 3/4. It's almost a 25% frame rate drop in my favorite games, with the system in my sig. But, you know what? 75-85fps is plenty.

Of course it is plenty because all you can play are old titles ;)

Of course it is plenty because all you can play are old titles ;)

Nope.
A surprisingly large number of modern games have native Linux support. And I was very pleasantly surprised with how well wine/playonlinux work nowadays, a huge difference from even just 5-10 years ago.

If you are going Linux, do yourself a favor and use Mint, not bloated, fisher price Ubuntu.
Yes I hate Unity.

Nope.
A surprisingly large number of modern games have native Linux support. And I was very pleasantly surprised with how well wine/playonlinux work nowadays, a huge difference from even just 5-10 years ago.

Surprisingly large? maybe 2 out of 10 game releases have native support and then at best another 2 out of 10 work well in wine etc.

Dont get me wrong look at my history, i fully support linux and really like it. Wish i could go full time but frankly even now gaming on linux is pretty shit.

• Install 7
  • Turn off updating
  • Update with AutoPatcher
  • Install GWX Control Panel, enable active monitoring
  • Enjoy 7

• Install 7
  • Turn off updating
  • Update with AutoPatcher
  • Install GWX Control Panel, enable active monitoring
  • Enjoy 7

That sounds like a lot of effort. Personally I just install Spybot Anti-Beacon on any Win10 system.

While I have experience with others such as Windows, Linux is my desktop OS of preference for a number of reasons. If you are considering changing over to Linux - especially for gaming purposes - I'd love to say that it is a smooth, thoughtless process, but lets be honest - if you're trying to run a variety of 3D accelerated applications for an OS they were never designed to work upon, there is always going to be a chance of friction, error, or required adaptation. However, I will say that now is a better time than ever for Linux gaming - there are more games than ever that run natively on Linux (ie see all of those with a SteamOS or Linux icon via Steam , or others from Humble, GOG etc.) and even ways to run non-native titles smoother than ever. For instance, this very day a high profile AAA title, XCOM 2, is releasing with native Linux support from day 1!

To answer your questions, titles that offer a Linux supported version will of course work with ease, but if "all" your games include those that lack Linux support, it may take a little more work. Thankfully, using utilities like WINE/CrossOver or perhaps even a virtualized OS (VirtualBox, VMWare etc) can provide another avenue to play Windows only titles. Since everyone's particular wants and needs are different, the best thing you can do is to research what games/software are most important to you and how well each of them is supported under Linux.

I certainly encourage you to engage with Linux - try out some varying distributions! Ubuntu is certainly a good place to start, as is Linux Mint which is also based on Debian / Ubuntu. Staying with distributions based on Debian (or Ubuntu, which is itself based on Debian) is useful for gaming as SteamOS and many programs designed for gaming on Linux are tested to work with these popular distributions. There are plenty of distributions out there, depending on your comfort level, interest in customization, and preferences.

I would suggest that you start by trying Linux without deleting your Windows install especially if you don't have a lot of experience with Linux as your primary OS. While you're trying out various distributions, you can run off a LiveCD or USB stick, but I would suggest dual booting once you decided on a distro to install and start as your system. Most popular distros have a guide on how to dual boot Windows and Linux on their documentation/forums. . Once you have your Linux distrro installed and configured, making it ready for gaming will depend on a number of things, but overall you will probably A) want to install the binary/proprietary drivers for your graphics card, depending on manufacturer and model and B) install WINE, PlayOnLinux and perhaps CrossOver Linux (the latter being a paid program that contributes to the development of WINE) in order to run your Windows exclusive games. Be sure to read over your distribution's documentation, use the wikis and community, whenever you have questions or need help as these can be fantastic resources.

Just remember that learning a new OS is like learning anything - it takes some time and effort. While desktop focused distros make Linux more accessible than ever, you may have to troubleshoot now and then, configure, or learn how things are done in Linux that may differ from Windows and/or OSX. After you do, you may even prefer Linux in many regards. Its great that your privacy is an impetus for trying something new, so just remember that as you approach Linux and consider your time and learning as an investment. If you have further questions, feel free to ask them here (or in the OS sub-forum on Linux).

P.S. - if you intend to keep Windows around in any capacity (ie while dual booting) and especially if you choose Windows 10, you may want to use a utility or script to help maintain your privacy. There are a wide variety of them, but I suggest using those that are A) recently updated as patches for Win10 can change methodologies and/or reset things to default and B) open source when possible. There are some proprietary ones from reputable developers that are likely viable (ie Spybot AntiBeacon) as well. Compare and contrast the functionality and ease of use between many utilities to find which seem right for you.

Last edited:
That sounds like a lot of effort. Personally I just install Spybot Anti-Beacon on any Win10 system.

[shrug]
WU client takes a ridiculously long amount of time to update off a fresh install anyway; takes an hour + to check for updates, then time to DL.

AutoPatcher eliminates that issue. You can also create an answer file in AutoPatcher to use for future updating so if you reimage other machines, you use the answer file you've already created to select or hide updates.

Doesn't really take a lot of effort, but that's JMHO. The primary reason it takes any effort at all is due to MS's hamfisted methods of getting everybody to use 10 even when they attempt to choose not to. :eek: I'd rather go through all the above and be able to decline updates than deal with being forced to accept updates. It's the lesser of 2 evils for me at least.

Last edited:
I just let M$ mine the crap out of my data, rather than deal with the headache that is living with Linux.

Google already does it on my phone, not like they really get any good information of me other than I play video games and watch twitch.tv.

I just let M$ mine the crap out of my data, rather than deal with the headache that is living with Linux.

Google already does it on my phone, not like they really get any good information of me other than I play video games and watch twitch.tv.

That's just it though... living with Linux on the desktop is no longer a headache. If you get one of the beginner distros, it's easy as hell. Steam and proprietary drivers for the video card are easily installed, an excellent Office equivalent is available, and browsing is simple.

The OS (in general) takes a lot fewer system resources as well, than Windows. So, really, you can run it on anything and have a decent experience.

That's just it though... living with Linux on the desktop is no longer a headache.

I definitely wouldn't call it a "headache", but for gaming there still is no equivalent to Windows (other than consoles, blech). Yes I know Linux has a lot of game support now, but for the "what's there", there's still a lot that's 'not there'. I'm not necessarily looking for a 1:1 swap or anything, but gaming is the one thing holding me back from running Mint and being done with MS.

Would love to see some details on these claims. I assume you're referring to crash reports and such.

For OP... if you have an nvidia card the process will be much smoother, and you'll have to use WINE for some games, unfortunately.

Back