Midway Files for Bankruptcy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Midway, publisher of the Mortal Kombat series, has filed for bankruptcy. The company believes that this Chapter 11 filing will give them enough breathing room from its creditors to turn things around. For their sake, let’s hope they are right.

"This was a difficult but necessary decision," said Midway Chairman, President and CEO Matt Booty. "We have been focused on realigning our operations and improving our execution, and this filing will relieve the immediate pressure from our creditors and provide us time for an orderly exploration of our strategic alternatives. This Chapter 11 filing is the next logical step in an ongoing process to address our capital structure."

wtf o_O
I totally didn't see this comming.
but then again, Mortal Kombat has been crap since Ultimate 3.
the only other thing I even remember them for is San Francisco Rush and Cruis'n USA series.

OMG, my cousin works for them! Hopefully they pull through.

That's kinda crappy, the latest one was bloody good (mainly for the DC universe part, but hey if it draws customers in), me and my nephew play that game almost every weekend.

That's kinda crappy, the latest one was bloody good (mainly for the DC universe part, but hey if it draws customers in), me and my nephew play that game almost every weekend.

It wasn't Mortal Kombat. I don't care if it had the name.

I had NBA jam for sega CD and that was a good game.

They really slacked since mortalK as well.

They just need some wii games and they are all better, Mortal Kombat for wii should sell well.

Good Riddance, I seen this coming years ago. I can't think of any game worth it's weight in plastic that came from them as of late.

I watched the thesis defense for a guy that's supposed to be working there now. It was on realistic modeling of fire using a volumetric approach instead of the 2d representations we see in games. It was very a very good presentation and a great learning experience. His thesis is below, his name is Yuri Vanzine, the link is public, so I did not seek approval...if you can follow, it is a very good look at how fire is represented for games, movies are another matter since a server farm can produce very real looking flames, but a single core PC has to make some trade offs.

http://www.cs.iusb.edu/thesis/YVanzine_thesis.pdf

Midway made the game for the Arcade,
they later gave the rights to Acclaim to do the console ports I believe.

wtf o_O
I totally didn't see this comming.
but then again, Mortal Kombat has been crap since Ultimate 3.
the only other thing I even remember them for is San Francisco Rush and Cruis'n USA series.

Cruisin' USA FTW! The music was so good.

Back