Midterm Elections in West Virginia Will Feature Mobile Phone Voting

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Aug 7, 2018.

1. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

I've NEVER been given paid time off to vote, in four decades of working in the US.
    I'm going to want to see a citation to the pertinent law or reg before I believe it.

JackNSally and griff30 like this.
  2. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

http://www.vote411.org/taxonomy/term/75#.W2pm2tJKhaQ

Edit: so after looking through the whole list, it depends on where you live.

I've never had a problem voting whenever I want. Both when I was hourly and now that I am salary.

If you are at a place that discourages voting (will not give you paid time off to vote), you are probably not working for a very good employer.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

What I read there is that a lot of states do not require business to give people time off to vote, and a lot of the others require the business give time off but not paid time off, and that if the polls are open for enough time before or after your "shift," a lot of the other states don't require time off to be given.

So it's false to say, as you did, that "In the US, businesses are required to give you paid time off to be able to go vote"
    They are only required to do that in a few states.

griff30 likes this.
  4. arentol

arentol 2[H]4U

Actually "Color in a bubble" on paper is super reliable and not only is still in use, it is on the leading edge of election security and innovation...

The most obvious benefit is that you can recount every single individual ballot, which is not the case with any form of electronic system. With those you are literally just having the computer re-calculate something it already accurately calculated, so recounts are basically pointless.

Modern bubble ballot counting machines work with all colors of pens other than pretty much white or super-light yellows or such. They can read votes accurately even with a half-filled bubble or ones filled outside the box, as long as no other bubble if filled in as well. If there is any chance a vote is uncertain they flag them with extreme accuracy for manual review. They also flag write-ins for manual handling without fail.

These machines can also count votes at a rate of 10k full ballots per hour. That alone would be impressive, but at the same time they ALSO capture and retain a permanent image (actually only kept until the election is certified) of every single ballot.

With paper, once the votes are in the Counties hands barring an insider threat or someone burning down the building, the votes are completely secure. With electronic voting, one minor coding or design error and everything could be farked... and there is always, ALWAYS, a major coding or design error in every program this complex. It is just a matter of when someone is going to find it.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  5. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Holy smokes! Read this Twitter thread.

6. VoloxitySF

VoloxitySF Gawd

You can't secure a server with paper.

7. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

In other news George Soros purchases a large stake in west virginia's mobile network infrastructure.

dvsman likes this.
  8. Jagger100

You can't hack paper remotely. And if you hack it in person your generate tells most likely and create a physical evidence chain unless you go full sci-fi spy novel. So if the result is questionable, you can still re-count.

9. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

But what about the poor minorities that don't have transportation to the local DMV to get said ID? It is discrimination.

10. jkmetal

jkmetal Limp Gawd

Really? You're serious with this post?

Take off the tin foil hat.

I support this measure, it should be easier to vote rather than more difficult. Its interesting that one side always seems to have a vested interest in making voting more difficult, especially for certain demographics. I guess they need the leg up.
    No state ID laws and same day registration.

11. chithanh

chithanh Gawd

Twitter thread today:
    • Public facing website of Voatz is running on severely outdated software
    • Their servers have admin control software built in 2009
    • No security contact listed anywhere
    • Their database runs on Azure, with unencrypted (no SSL) admin panel
    • They are employing someone from Russia who worked for a Moscow-based telecom company in 2012.
    • Their source code (uploaded to GitHub) contains hardcoded login credentials
    • Their claims of having undergone "security audits" are dishonest and bordering on fraudulent
    • some other minor stuff (previous failures, single-user blockchain, etc.)
    News headlines tomorrow:
    • OMG THE RUSSIANS ARE HACKING OUR ELECTIONS AGAIN

Flogger23m and Krenum like this.
  12. VoloxitySF

VoloxitySF Gawd

Yeah, I agree. Doesn't change this statement. "Mobile voting is a horrific idea," Joseph Lorenzo Hall, the chief technologist at the Center for Democracy and Technology, told CNN in an email. "It's internet voting on people's horribly secured devices, over our horrible networks, to servers that are very difficult to secure without a physical paper record of the vote."

What is he doing to change how horrid internet voting is besides complaining about the internet? Not sure I can agree with this guy. Maybe he should put his 50 degrees to some use and get to work instead of blogging about it. There are plenty of ways to secure things.

13. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

So with the "new" mobile voting (which goes contrary to logical thinking against voter fraud) do you get access to your voting history to make sure your "voter account" wasn't hacked by someone and cast the vote without your knowledge?
    I mean come on, look at the sh** storm that hit about voter fraud in the last election and now they want to go full on digital with zero paper trail? WTF are these people smoking? AND THEN people support the idea?!?! :rolleyes::eek::banghead:

14. jkmetal

jkmetal Limp Gawd

What happened to that voter fraud commission that the President set up? Nothing, its been disbanded.

15. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

This has nothing to do with that that. Obviously the governement is inept from top to bottom. Still doesn't change the fact that its is the dumbest idea ever. Stop trying to shift focus.....the government is the problem here this is already know.

16. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

All of this assumes that "our" politicians want fool proof voting. Clearly they do not. An informed AND educated constituency is their worst nightmare!

17. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Which is why I corrected myself when posting the link. I was under the impression that it was required everywhere. I was wrong.

18. James Costello

James Costello n00b

Please to not be paying attention to our .RU address. All your voting is belong to us.
    I see only bad things from this and that's before you factor in it's West Virginia. Land of the scared sheep.

19. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

I think the fact they mention blockchain so prominently, is the most worrying thing

20. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

This.

Is there some kind of kick-back for this software? Is there profits in the " blockchain"?
    The word blockchain instantly gives me nausea

21. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Yeah... that's like not entirely true. There's no federal law on the matter, and it's very much a state by state thing, only about 30 states or so actually have laws that require time off, some of them paid others not.

edit: whoops my bad, saw you corrected yourself a bit on page 2.

22. Design1stcode2nd

Design1stcode2nd Gawd

Time off yes Paid no. For military there should be an easy means to make a voting station on base and then use your CAC to verify identity and one of the secure networks to transmit. Smart phone as everyone else has said is a horrible idea.

23. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Neither am I.

Not until we give AI's the right to vote, anyway.

Which, given the current trends, some cities in California will probably do in a decade or so.
    After all, it's not much stupider than letting illegal immigrants vote, as some do now, and California's polices trend towards stupider over time.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  24. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

No way in hell will I read that.
    It wants me to disable my ad-blocker and tracking protection first.

25. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

BTW, for better or worse, as far as I know, there's no time limit on your ability to go back and edit your old posts here.
    It doesn't change the likes, so there's some opportunity for shenanigans there, and of course quoted text in responses stays as it was.
    But anyway, feel free to put a note on the original post, correcting it.

[Edit: You did exactly that as I was posting this note. That's hilarious! ]

If an Administrator corrects me on this, I'll edit this post appropriately. ;)

26. Jagger100

Guess who has the primary investment in voting machine manufacturers like Diebold? George's buddies in his Open Society Foundation

27. jkmetal

jkmetal Limp Gawd

Well, if he's paying diebold to fix votes, he fucked up 2016 and failed just today.

28. ALL4AMD

ALL4AMD I Go to Court for Fun.

As a deployed member of WV I'll test it out.

29. ALL4AMD

ALL4AMD I Go to Court for Fun.

Before I forget there is a program for military voting.

https://www.fvap.gov

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) works to ensure Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens are aware of their right to vote and have the tools and resources to successfully do so - from anywhere in the world.

The Director of FVAP administers the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) on behalf of the Secretary of Defense. UOCAVA, as amended by the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment (MOVE) Act, requires States to transmit requested absentee ballots to UOCAVA voters no later than 45 days before a federal election. Those citizens protected by UOCAVA include:

• Members of the Uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps)
    • Members of the Merchant Marines
    • Eligible family members of the above
    • U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.
    FVAP assists voters through partnerships with the Military Services, Department of State, Department of Justice and election officials from 50 States, U.S. territories and the District of Columbia.

30. zalazin

zalazin [H]ard|Gawd

Why vote in Presidential elections anyway? Your vote means ABSOLUTELY nothing, thank you electoral college. The 2016 election proved that. I personally will NEVER vote in another presidential election. local elections maybe..... I believe we should be able to vote from a phone or computer I think they can be made secure....

31. Yotano2111

Yotano2111 n00b

Your vote means nothing

32. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Because democracy only work if the electorate is knowledgeable, zalazin's plan is completely appropriate -- laudable, even.
    I encourage everyone who shares zalazin's opinion to emulate his example, and not vote.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  33. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

There's only so much election meddling you can do before the sheeple notice, and you don't want them to notice.
    But amazingly, even obvious meddling (like a Detroit district where 300 people supposedly voted but only 50 ballots were found) didn't create much of a stir. (That all of the missing ballots were counted as being for Hillary probably had something to do with that.)

fadedlogic and GoldenTiger like this.
  34. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

More Russian Hax0r's

35. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Gawd

"the 250 missing ballots were left in the tabulator bin"

36. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

LoL…

This stupid state cant even do basic shit electronically but voting with a cell phone… good luck.

Like going to the dmv, they still stamp peices of paper and print stuff out.

State really is ass backwards.

37. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Yeah, clearly your skin color means whether or not you are too stupid to get an ID. /Sarcasm

38. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Nolan7689 likes this.
  39. jkmetal

jkmetal Limp Gawd

This has nothing to due with WV system or using block chain to create a permanent record.

Systemic voter fraud? No, there isn't strong evidence that it has swayed a national election, especially against the republican party (who you seem to support, going by your posts.).

You call me a Sheeple, you're fucking deranged.