Midrange to high SSD and questions

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm thinking of getting an SSD for my laptop, but I'm not entirely sure what I should look for. My laptop is only SATA2, so I don't think I'll need a SATA3 drive. I thought OCZ was good with SSDs, but lately they don't seem to be doing well so I'm not sure what company to go with. Price is not an issue, but I really don't want to spend too much money on an SSD.

Also, is there anything special I need to do with them besides turning defrag off? And can I just install them and leave and forget?

There's a sale that has an OCZ Vertex 2 EX 120GB for 160$ right now. Is that good?

You should get an Intel 320 SSD. You don't need to do anything special (defrag will be off automatically with Windows 7).

I would also agree with the Intel 320. You probably don't need 500 series performance for a laptop.

Personally, I would stay away from OCZ - too many reports of problems - and go with an Intel or Crucial drive.

Install it and use it just like you would a regular hard drive. Win 7 takes care of SSD specific optimizations (like turning off defrag), so don't overthink it.

I would also agree with the Intel 320. You probably don't need 500 series performance for a laptop.

???

It's my impression that the 300 series is a true, all-Intel G3 drive while the 500 series is assembled using a Marvell controller. Just because the number 500 is greater than 300 doesn't make the 500 series better. Whether an SSD has a SATA3 interface or not doesn't even begin to tell the whole story about how well it will function.

If I were shopping for a top-notch SSD right now, it would be an Intel 320. I'm absolutely thrilled with the real world performance of my X-25M G2 commissioned March 2010 and would immediately gravitate towards the 320's "G3" all-Intel design.

Where can you get a V2 EX for $160? That drive will sustain 6k iops steady state - it's vastly superior to the intel 320/500. If you can grab it for that price get it now. And tell me where it is so I can pick up four for raid 10 =)

Back