Mid Range Build- Mobo suggestions?

Discussion in 'PC Hound System Builder' started by Fenian, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Fenian

Fenian n00bie

Hi everyone. I am about to build a new system to replace my aging Ivy Bridge setup.

The parts I have chosen so far are:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XcjFm8
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XcjFm8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card
    Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($102.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $758.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-21 23:37 EST-0500

I have the PSU, case, optical drive and video card already.

I am looking for a good mid range motherboard to go along with the rest of these components.

I would like to have M.2, U.2, Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 support.

SO far I have been looking at either the ASUS Z170 Sabertooth TUF, the ASUS ROG Hero 8 or the Z170 Pro Gaming.

any suggestions?

2. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

What are your current system's specs?

What games do you want to play, and at what resolution?

WHAT ELSE do you do with your system?

I can't see the justification of dropping $700 here.

The only thing that z170 system has over Ivy Bridge is m.2, and those makes no difference in gaming over an SATA6 SSD.

You still have plenty of native SATA6 and USB 3.0 ports on Ivy Bridge. You have the same x16 PCIe 3.0 slot as z170. If you have at least a Core i5, just upgrade the video card, and wait another year for the next generation processors to come along.

3. Fenian

Fenian n00bie

Thanks for the answer! I was one generation ahead as it turns out... I am currently running a Sandy Bridge i7-2700k on a z68 Asus board. So very little USB 3, no M.2, PCI-E 2.0 etc.

Turn for an upgrade.

I did get the CPU from Intel's retailer program for $110 so I figured it was time to upgrade as the current system is more than 4 years old now. I might just pick up a 2.5" SSD for Black Friday and save a hundred bucks or so that way. I still have 2 WD Blacks for data storage.

So far I think it might come down to which of the Sabertooth or Hero 8 come down the most for Boxing Day.

As for what else I may do beyond gaming I have been thinking of getting into 4k photography and video work which would require a beefier system than the one I have.

I am also the family archivist for all the assorted digital content they make(music, movies, photos etc).

4. whateverer

Okay, that clarifies things. Your system is SANDY bridge, and supports none of the things I assumed. And Retail Edge is a good reason to build :D

I'm not seeing why you need to step-up to Sabretooth or the HERO 8, they're both filled with features you won't possibly use, like Triple-SLI. You don't seem to be the world's moist demanding gamer, since you're satisfied with a GTX 960.

So I'd recommend this GREAT VALUE motherboard: The Asus z170-A.

Supports 2-card SLI, still a valiant overclocker, still has 2 ports of USB 3.1, including 1 Type-C, a single SATA Express port, Intel LAN, HQ sound and the same single m.2 slot. Costs about $100 less here in the US.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566

5. Fenian

Fenian n00bie

Thanks! I took a look at that one... I am up in Canada but it looks like I can snag that board on sake for $150 down from $200 on Boxing Day.

What would you recommend for a good performance value on a M.2 SSD? I can snag the Intel 600p 256GB M.2 SSD for $100 as well from the same retailer and that seems like a pretty fair price. I got lucky and scored the 16GB G.Skill DDR4 RAM from the Intel Retail Edge score so the mobo and the SSD are really the last parts I need.

I will step up to a RX480/1060/1070 a few months down the line.

6. whateverer

I thought you said you already bought the 950 Pro?

First of all, there's a reason the 600p is so cheap: outside basic sequential benchmarks, it's no faster than SATA drives:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10850/the-intel-ssd-600p-512gb-review/8

You'f be better served with the MX300 525G B from that review, a drive that offers over twice tjhe capacity for a little higher price.

Second, , in terms of game performance, you're not going to notice the difference between an m.2 NVMe drive, and an SATA6 drive. Given how large games have grown, I'd prefer a fast , LARGE SATA drive like the 750 EVO or the MX300,

7. lukart

lukart [H]Lite

For me the Asrock Z170 Extreme offers the best deal for features / price!
    Besides is amazing overclocker.