Microwave Weapon Made With A Stick And Soup Can

i just got a great idea for a light saber!

Is it possible for microwaves to make a gas fluoresce? Is there a frequency and energy that could make any of the gases in air fluoresce?

With the sound of the magnetron this is a cute (but cataract inducing, brain cooking) weapon. I can imagine people's eyeballs exploding right out of their head like popcorn!

Man that was funny =) I could see Walmart selling these kits next month !

With the sound of the magnetron this is a cute (but cataract inducing, brain cooking) weapon. I can imagine people's eyeballs exploding right out of their head like popcorn!

Kinda like this?

scanners4.gif

This just reminds me of when I was in Iraq and standing next to a marine vehicle equipped with their chameleon electronic warfare system...and I swear to god I felt like I was getting cooked.

makes you wonder how safe these things are in the first place. see how far away he walked and yet was still giving crazy levels of interference. nasty stuff

had to confront a guy at a show irresponsibly waving around a 1/2 watt laser just over the weekend.

kind of amazed there have not been more magnetron hacks, and resulting mayhem, over the years...even more dangerous as the energy is invisible

Wow that's so dangerous lol. Does look like fun though.

It's one thing that it can burn your skin but what really makes this and lasers extremely dangerous is how it can permanently damage your vision.

makes you wonder how safe these things are in the first place. see how far away he walked and yet was still giving crazy levels of interference. nasty stuff

Microwave ovens are perfectly safe as long as the door closes correctly, and the shielding in the door isn't mucked about with. That's the whole point of the soupcan, and that's to direct the microwave energy out the open end of the can. The cooking cavity in a microwave oven is a metal box (same as the soup can), and the perforated metal screen in the door window does the same thing. The holes are sized such that the microwave energy will not propagate through the holes.

What's even more fun, if these guys knew anything about microwave energy, would be to put a microwave Fresnel lens on the open end of the can, thus making a more directed beam. What they have is akin to a sawn off shotgun.

Wow that's so dangerous lol. Does look like fun though.

It's one thing that it can burn your skin but what really makes this and lasers extremely dangerous is how it can permanently damage your vision.

Yeah, exposure to microwaves at that power level and frequency will toast your corneas in less than a second.

Those idiots have NO IDEA how dangerous as hell what they are doing is.
Not just from the microwave radiation; the power going to a magnatron will kill you in a second!
It will burn through that can after a little while and start roasting their nuts. They can EASILY suffer internal organ damage that can eventually put them in the morgue. :rolleyes:
YES, microwave radiation is that dangerous. Microwave ovens are designed to self destruct (disable themselves) if there is a possibility of leakage.

The cooking cavity in a microwave oven is a metal box (same as the soup can), and the perforated metal screen in the door window does the same thing. The holes are sized such that the microwave energy will not propagate through the holes.

If the holes are sized to prevent microwave energy from propagating, why does the microwave oven always mess with my wifi?

Bring on the video of the microwave gun cooking an ant hill!
I foresee the torture of animals.

how long until this dumb kid points it at something that reflects too much back at himself?

I just petitioned YouTube to pull that video.

It is unbelievably dangerous and we do not want people thinking "Ohh, I'm gonna make a ray gun" and playing games with it and injuring or killing themselves or someone else. :(

If the holes are sized to prevent microwave energy from propagating, why does the microwave oven always mess with my wifi?

Perfection is an illusion. There's still stray frequencies, shielding holes, and god only knows what POS microwave you bought. :p

Perfection is an illusion. There's still stray frequencies, shielding holes, and god only knows what POS microwave you bought. :p

Makes you sad for the poor sous chefs at crappy restaurants that microwave food all day.

I love how they keep everything hooked up to the microwave, why not gut the thing and only take what you need.

I love how they keep everything hooked up to the microwave, why not gut the thing and only take what you need.

I would think rational behavior and sound mechanical thinking are far from anywhere in this video.

To put simply? Laziness.

Seems like a good way to get cancer. Or cooked.

The kind of radiation you are dealing with when it comes to something homemade like this is much more immediate danger than long term damage to your DNA which is what causes the more well known cancer types.

You should be A LOT more worried about frying your skin or internal organs.

Cute kid, to bad that even if he survives long enough to try and propagate his swimmers are all already dead or at least beyond medium rare.

Reminds me of a Futurama Episode.

"Ow my sperm"

To those of you flipping your crap about this and saying this is beyond dangerous, let me recite some high school physics I learned almost 20 years ago.

The radiation from a microwave is non-ionising radiation. It does not cause cancer, kill cells etc.

All non-ionising radiation can do is it causes molecules to vibrate, which causes them to create heat, and at that, microwaves the magnatron is set to a frequency where it most directly causes the water molecule to vibrate the most.

The only non-ionising radiation I know of that can cause cancer is I THINK ultraviolet, but I'm too lazy to look it up, even then its in high doses.

So there you have it gents, these guys are perfectly safe as long as they don't point it at themselves too long.

If you want another example of how these guys will not die etc from this, keep this in mind.

That microwave is probably 1000 watts, a FM Radio Broadcasting Tower in your city is transmitting non-ionising radiation signals at around 100,000 watts, and there is like 30-40 of these radio towers in a city, you're being pumped full of millions of watts of non-ionising radiation and you are nowhere near dead.

And that's not counting all the cell phones, cell phone towers, walkie talkies, Wi-Fi routers etc all around you.

Trust me, they'll live.

Trust me, they'll live.

WE AIN'T GOT NO TIME FER YER LOGIC N SCIAAHNCE ROUND HUR!!!

I mean seriously, we need people like Dr. Righteous kneejerking to get the video pulled so some dipshit will find another inventive way to remove himself from the gene pool.

Or rather, warm his scrotum a bit, accidentally, as he drops the stick.

I'd also like to add that the Marines have truck-mounted MICROWAVE CANNONS intended to disperse riotous crowds. I'm pretty sure those are slightly more powerful than a 1000 watts and the servicemen and women upon which has been tested would have taken exception to a device that could give them a nice case of carcinoma.

Oh and you guys know why your microwave interferes with your Wi-Fi or bluetooth headphones? They operate at near the same frequency, 2.4 GHz. It's practically the same EM wave. So go unplug your Wi-Fi routers before they give you cancer! OMG! :rolleyes:

To those of you flipping your crap about this and saying this is beyond dangerous, let me recite some high school physics I learned almost 20 years ago.

The radiation from a microwave is non-ionising radiation. It does not cause cancer, kill cells etc.

All non-ionising radiation can do is it causes molecules to vibrate, which causes them to create heat, and at that, microwaves the magnatron is set to a frequency where it most directly causes the water molecule to vibrate the most.

The only non-ionising radiation I know of that can cause cancer is I THINK ultraviolet, but I'm too lazy to look it up, even then its in high doses.

So there you have it gents, these guys are perfectly safe as long as they don't point it at themselves too long.

Sorry, while you are correct that it is non ionizing, every competent RF tech in the world is terrified of open feedhorns over about half a watt...looks like about a 500 watt oven to me.

Stupendously dangerous. Eyes would be the most immediate concern, but another danger is the literal cooking of internals where you lack the nerve endings to notice.

If you want another example of how these guys will not die etc from this, keep this in mind.

That microwave is probably 1000 watts, a FM Radio Broadcasting Tower in your city is transmitting non-ionising radiation signals at around 100,000 watts, and there is like 30-40 of these radio towers in a city, you're being pumped full of millions of watts of non-ionising radiation and you are nowhere near dead.

And that's not counting all the cell phones, cell phone towers, walkie talkies, Wi-Fi routers etc all around you.

Trust me, they'll live.

wrong again, the resonant wavelength of the broadcast energy is on the order of 3 Meters, too long to really excite a human body, wheras the 2.4GHz of the microwave oven was specifically chosen because it is very effective at heating water, and, um, well, there is a lot of water in a human body.

Also inverse square law and FM antennas on 300 foot towers, but I somehow doubt you will listen to reason. Hey, I know, why don't you build one and demonstrate to us all how safe it is.

Certain wavelengths of UV actually are ionizing. So...yea.

Only in Russia.

Umm no...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhnp2-l1cxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzQSoNLRCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vwiTyUzzQ

People have been making magnetron guns for a while now..

Again I would worry more about the current flowing through it and you not being smart enough to ground yourself.

If all it took was one small magnetron to fry someone immediately then it would be a common weapon across the world since microwaves are everywhere..

I just petitioned YouTube to pull that video.

It is unbelievably dangerous and we do not want people thinking "Ohh, I'm gonna make a ray gun" and playing games with it and injuring or killing themselves or someone else. :(

Thanks, mommy. I don't know what we as a race would do without you.

It's all about wattage. Wifi operates at very low wattage, like in the mw range. Radio towers operate at high wattage but also different frequency. In fact microwave dishes operate at only like 40 watts.

The real danger with this is how you could be blinded pretty much instantly if the beam hits your eyes. I'd be more worried about than than any other form of damage it could do to you. If I went blind, may as well just shoot me.

Though I do admit it would be fun to build a proper one that is more directional so you can burn stuff from distance, but I'd consider it even more dangerous than a firearm.

Another simple device that is very dangerous is high powered lasers. Those are easily obtainable and a single asshole with one could blind tons of people and it would be hard to stop him. Thankfully this is not a trend.

Back