Microwave case of DEATH!

Going off the idea of that last post.

Steal a plate of that "wax" food they have at chinese resturants...
and leave that in there ;)

dang....that would be a good idea...wire up all the buttons to turn it on and off and basicly have a hidden computer...that would be really cool...you would still see the I/O pannel and stuff but yea...that would be cool

actually i just found this out....but i have the exact same micro wave in my bed room that isnt being used....it would be an extremely tight fight....ill have to take mine apart and mess with it later to see whats possible.

Well, if you do, be sure and post a log so we can see how it goes.

Keep the microwave functional so when the FBI busts down the door you hit a single button and fry out your HDD [H]ard|Core.

Nah, just put an LCD in the door. Instant LAN rig!

Imagine walking into the party and people looking at you like "WTF?" till you power up your microwave! Even better, reverse this and throw some dry ice inside to keep your Bawls cool behind your LCD!

Okay, the dry ice is a bad idea, but still.... Anyone got a vapochill to donate? I threw out that old microwave of mine already, but I think a properly placed screwdriver will net me another one........ :D

thewhiteguy said:
Keep the microwave functional so when the FBI busts down the door you hit a single button and fry out your HDD [H]ard|Core.

I would need it to with all my files

That is a cool idea, just make sure that you post any updates and what you have done so far to see your progress and good luck.

You know microwaves are one of the few domestic items that can kill instantly, more so than a TV. I'd be careful lol.

Keep us all posted :D

this will be interesting to watch and like it so far, keep going on the mod..

btw, yes that is an A7A266 amd mobo and yes that is a crappy ali m1647 amd chipset that uses sdram pc100/133 & ddr266(pc2100). the fastest cpy that you can put in their is a xp2600+ fsb266

Atari said:
*prod*

hurry up im stoked 2 c the end result :p

I cant do much without a dremel.

But i do have a jigsaw, so ill have to try to cut off the insides that way (input on this please?)

It could work... But you'd have to be careful.. Alot more error for a mistake

I gotta say, putting an LCD in the front of that thing would probably work really well. You seem to have the room, and the WTF response at LAN parties would so be worth it.

Honestly, I wouldn't wonder if you couldn't combine a couple of the ideas in this thread, when I first looked at the area that was cleaned out, I wondered if you could just fit the whole computer in there. Combine that with either a rear mounted CD, or just use an external USB cd, flashdrive/network, etc, and you could have something that looks exactly like a microwave. Put an LCD in the front door(which has to be shielded, which gives you room to work with, and still keep the door open/closeable), and you'd have an interesting toy to use ;)

Small update 2/13/05

I tried taking the innsides out with a drill, lets judt say it didnt work out too well.

What i did in about 20 minutes

I have to get that white tab outta there:

What i was cutting it with:

The bottom taken off:

3 rpm! w00tness!

Next:

Mobo floor and innerwalls removed :mad:

So from looking at the picture of it upside down, it looks like the only thing that is holding the front and back together is the cavity that you are trying to cut out (angle grinder or sawz-all, BTW). Have youy given any thought to how you are going to support the rest of the structure once the center portion has been removed?

gonna take a stab in the dark here and say that, that drill surely cant be providing anywhere near enough rpm to actually drive that cutting disc efficiently ??

Get some more rpm mate :D

you might as well put the disc on that 3rpm motor lol.

uzor said:
So from looking at the picture of it upside down, it looks like the only thing that is holding the front and back together is the cavity that you are trying to cut out (angle grinder or sawz-all, BTW). Have youy given any thought to how you are going to support the rest of the structure once the center portion has been removed?

The bottom and the case that goes over (not pictured yet).

Did we give up? :confused: More picturs please. Man great Idea. I would cut a old case inner mounting and place it on that rt side. Then Add watercooling to the inside door area, and Mount a LCD in the door! SO Much potential !

Read the last page - its impossible to get through that shell without a dremel...30 minutes of constant drilling and all it did was borked up the cutting disc.

Once i get that dremel...this mod will take flight.

I think you might be better served on this project with an angle grinder. Both Lowes.com and Homedepot.com have them starting at $30, though you can probably get one at your local swap meet for $5, if you look.

ya microwaves have some serious sheet metal u would need at least a dremel and alot of cutting discs but an angle grinder would be alot better

i like this mod i think itll turn out awesome

u should put the mobo and every thing behind the control panel for the microwave on the right side and then put an lcd screen in the door and make your desktop a picture of food lol that would be awesome then u could pack the empty space behind the door with random stuff like pop beer what have you. it would be like a portable munchie pc

and put a lock on the door then your munchies would stay safe at lan partys

Angle grinder? This is a perfect excuse for a compressor and a pneumatic angle cut off :D

DarkMonkey said:
How the hell is he giong to afford that if he can't even afford a dremel?
Maybe a relative is willing to lend him one? He could always ask his neighbours.

Rent one. You can rent for a day, sometimes half, and you only need to replace the disc if it gets too worn out. I'd go with an electric one though, less fuss. Eye protection mandatory! I almost lost an eye once, but glasses saved me. Still have the lenses with the sliver of steel stuck in the middle as a reminder. :eek:

I rented a nibbler once too. Good for cutting sheet metal without stuff flying. Takes little bites instead, and it's easier to handle. No disc to buy either. Just drill a starting hole, and go. Noisy bastard though.

Definitely go with the nibbler. I looked up a couple on the web and yeah, this thing is great for cutting sheet steel. You can turn tight corners and run it along a guide as well. Rentals I looked up were for like $18 for a day. Do a couple of projects at once. I cut an thick aluminum luggage cart from the airport in half with one of these to make a bookshelf.

lots of places even lend tools. now u need a credit card to do it so your parents or relatives would be handy but quite a few places like canadian tire here in canada lend tools at no charge for like 3 days and after that they charge you full cost of the tool assuming its not comming back. but ya its a great way to get things done i borrow tools from canadian tire all the time especially when im doing things that i could buy the tool for but i know ill almost never use it again for anything else

themark said:
I rented a nibbler once too. Good for cutting sheet metal without stuff flying. Takes little bites instead, and it's easier to handle. No disc to buy either. Just drill a starting hole, and go. Noisy bastard though.

Definitely go with the nibbler. I looked up a couple on the web and yeah, this thing is great for cutting sheet steel. You can turn tight corners and run it along a guide as well. Rentals I looked up were for like $18 for a day. Do a couple of projects at once. I cut an thick aluminum luggage cart from the airport in half with one of these to make a bookshelf.

DarkMonkey said:
I think he was talking about renting an angle grinder...

Pretty sure he was talking about renting a nibbler...

Uhh.... didn't think of it?

Yeah, buy one cheap online, there ya go.
Much cheaper than blowing up a Dremel. :D And after, you can use it for cutting a hole in the hood of your Dad's car!

I really want to see this project finished. Too bad he didn't have one of those old stainless steel Amana Radar-Range Micros. Those suckers were cool, and built like nuclear reactors.

DaRkF0g said:
Doesnt it smell really bad, I mean the microwave? Ours is but a year old and it already has tha unbearable smell in it.
Mine does not smell at all, what do you put in yours lol

Back