Microwave case of DEATH!

FaultySanity

Weaksauce
Well guys, about a week ago - my poor old 1998 Samsung microwave died (stopped producing the microwaves - i put a steak in for 10 mins and it was still frozen solid :D ).

So anway, i have my new "Sharp r-209HK" Microwave, and i figured id give my old a proper burial - by making it into a computer case!.

Take note, this is not a very well planned mod...just gonna kinda throw it together as i go.

Now, for a 14 year old little bastard like me - money is short. I managed to dig around my old computer stuff and managed to scrap together these parts:

Mobo: ASUS A7A266
CPU: Pentium III 2.2 Ghz
GPU: ATI Rage pro 64MB Video Card
PSU: Some random 320w PSU
HD: 2x 7 GB Wester Digitals

DCP_0615.jpg

DCP_0617.jpg

DCP_0618.jpg

As you can see, this is not exactly the most intriguiging rig you can get, but i dont plan on doing anything on it, its all about the CASE BABY!

Heres what im working with:

DCP_0586.jpg

DCP_0587.jpg

DCP_0588.jpg

I ripped off the cover and started to cut the wires inside (dangerous stuff in there, some 20000 volt transformer or some crap like that). I planned on taking everything out - including the innerwall (what you would normally put your food in).

Cutting the wires out:

DCP_0589.jpg

Removed the micro thingy bob:
DCP_0590.jpg

I BROKE ZE SCREWDRIVER!
Managed to find a stubborn screw that somehow broke the screwdriver when i was trying to take it off (but hey - i got the screw out!)

DCP_0593.jpg

All the junk removed:
DCP_0598.jpg

And all the crap i got out:
DCP_0599.jpg

Next: False floor /w Mobo installation!

Stay tuned!

Hahaha! If you can get the front buttons rigged up or something, that would be great... Maybe put an lcd panel behind the shielded door, and put a desktop picture of the "INSIDE" of the machine with some sort of food inside it...

I wish I had that kind of shit laying around when I was 14. There are a few big ass stainless steel industrial microwaves at work. My boss said when one dies (any day now), I can take it. I had the same idea.

blackacidevil said:
shoulda kept that fan...

I kept the blade, but the 'motor' itself was rather strange. It didnt even look like it had brushes - but it was on a bearing near some sort of transformer.

Oh well, ill probably make some tiny boat with it :D

I originaly planned on keeping the clock in - but the way it was in the circuit board just didnt want to cooperate. I plan on putting a clock there tough (maybe even a thermal monitor - but why spend 20-30 bucks on a monitor put to use on such a god-awfull computer? :)

EDIT:

Here are my 1337 photoshoped plans for the mod:
plans0bz.jpg

FaultySanity said:
I kept the blade, but the 'motor' itself was rather strange. It didnt even look like it had brushes - but it was on a bearing near some sort of transformer.

Oh well, ill probably make some tiny boat with it :D

I originaly planned on keeping the clock in - but the way it was in the circuit board just didnt want to cooperate. I plan on putting a clock there tough (maybe even a thermal monitor - but why spend 20-30 bucks on a monitor put to use on such a god-awfull computer? :)

Thats not a motor :p That produces the microwaves @ ~2.5GHZ to cook your food :D

Might be a bit of a disappointment, but the Asus A7A266, is, as the name says, a Socket A motherboard. So no way jose a Pentium is gonna fit in there. Maybe something you should know. ;)

Crazy_Seb said:
Might be a bit of a disappointment, but the Asus A7A266, is, as the name says, a Socket A motherboard. So no way jose a Pentium is gonna fit in there. Maybe something you should know. ;)

Look at the first pic. Looks like he did it somehow...my guess is it's either not a Pentium or it's not an A7A266.

Alias said:
Thats not a motor :p That produces the microwaves @ ~2.5GHZ to cook your food :D
omg should'a kept it... could've overclocked it... imagine that baby at 3GHZ!! *drool*

Doesnt it smell really bad, I mean the microwave? Ours is but a year old and it already has tha unbearable smell in it.

Crazy_Seb said:

P3 line never made it to 2.2ghz (topped out around 1.4)
probably AMD

Zxcs said:
omg should'a kept it... could've overclocked it... imagine that baby at 3GHZ!! *drool*

LOL If you use it outside of your microwave, It will fry your brain :p You could use it to jam police radar.

Alias said:
LOL If you use it outside of your microwave, It will fry your brain :p You could use it to jam police radar.
Dude you're not thinking [H]ard enough! If we overclock that thing we will own those benchmarks! Who cares if our brains get fryed in the process, im willing to risk it if that baby hits 3ghz.

at one place I worked at we had a microwave that would stay on when you opened the door. Stuck my hand in there one time and it got all warm in center of my palm but the rest of my hand just felt like i had a bad itch. shortly there after a new microwave was purchased.

back on topic, this should be intersting. It would realy cool if you could have the mobo spin on the tray and have the noise of the microwave play when you push a button. Make it look like the microwave still works and you are cooking your mobo.

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
at one place I worked at we had a microwave that would stay on when you opened the door. Stuck my hand in there one time and it got all warm in center of my palm but the rest of my hand just felt like i had a bad itch. shortly there after a new microwave was purchased.

back on topic, this should be intersting. It would realy cool if you could have the mobo spin on the tray and have the noise of the microwave play when you push a button. Make it look like the microwave still works and you are cooking your mobo.

JEEVES

My dad had one of those evil microwaves. I remember the sensation. Was weird.

you all probaly have some new disease...i wanna know what it feels like tho..so send one my way lol

Looks like this case is gonna be pretty cool...good luck on it man

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
Stuck my hand in there one time and it got all warm in center of my palm but the rest of my hand just felt like i had a bad itch.
mmm... tingly...

Looks like an awesome project, definitely think you should have an lcd where the micro's lcd was. That would be cool. And the spinning mobo tray would be a major PITA to wire up. If you could pull that off, it would be the coolest mobo tray ever!

lol....you guys are making me want a broken microwave. I wonder what would happen if you stuck your head in there :eek:

DaRkF0g said:
Doesnt it smell really bad, I mean the microwave? Ours is but a year old and it already has tha unbearable smell in it.

Maybe you should clean it occasionally ;)

Viper87227 said:
lol....you guys are making me want a broken microwave. I wonder what would happen if you stuck your head in there :eek:

Nothing good I am sure.

isnt there something radioactive in there that you have to dispose of properly or all your hair falls out, then you die?! :eek:

chrisf6969 said:
isnt there something radioactive in there that you have to dispose of properly or all your hair falls out, then you die?! :eek:

I guess we will find out if we never here from the OP again. ;)

Crazy_Seb said:

Well, its on there...its worked before (barley :D)

Who knows maybe its not a P3, or not an A7A266 (it says on the mobo o_O) what whatever the crap it is...its worked before, and it should work again.

Ok - heres the label on the Mobo:

dcp06247xg.jpg

That means its probably an AMD, but that just doesnt seem right...

chrisf6969 said:

youll cook your brains lol...if your sure you dont have one then go ahead...you wont cook anything :)

seriously dont do anything like that, ive heard of storys of people doing that

muhahaha..Love it!..this is a cool mod. It will be Easter soon, so i encourage everyone to get themselves Marshmallow Peeps® and stick them in the microwave on HIGH---Fun stuff-- we will have to start a thread to see whose Peep blows up the biggest before exploding :D

chrisf6969 said:

Don't think so. It cooks our food useing a ~2.5Ghz radio wave. The water in your food absorbs its energy and causes the molecules to vibrate producing heat. So I don't think it produces any radiation, or not the kind you are thinking of atleast. :D

Definitely an AMD motherboard, crappy chipset but AMD mobo :D
Nice mod by the way! Don't give up I want to see the final result!

This mod is just sooo wacko, I love it. You have gotta rig the inside light and turntable to work. Just a thought though... before you go through all the trouble of cramming everything in there, you might want to just hook it all up and see if it's working. ;)

It would be a shame to get it all done and then it goes 'pop' and dies....

themark said:
This mod is just sooo wacko, I love it. You have gotta rig the inside light and turntable to work. Just a thought though... before you go through all the trouble of cramming everything in there, you might want to just hook it all up and see if it's working. ;)

It would be a shame to get it all done and then it goes 'pop' and dies....

But hey, at least ill have a wicked looking case :)

Anyway - i have to figure out a way to replace the floor of it, i plan on cutting it out...but im dremeless >.<

Although my dad says we'll look for some (which is usually a yes) *hip thrust*

^lol, and just use a big passive heatsink.... then you can keep your coffee warm at LAN parties... not that you would bring this to one.

Cool idea.

Anyway, microwaves are 2450 Mhz. That happens to be the frequency that causes vibration in water molecules, which is what cooks your food. If you screwed with the frequency, it probably would no longer cook anything. It would be fun to try though, jack it up to 2600 or down to 2300 and see if it still heated anything up. There's really not enough actual energy in a microwave to "zap" anything, it just happens to cause the water molecules to vibrate enough that they transmit energy into the rest of your food.

Better living through chemistry.

You know...looking at all this I'd almost want to try to fit all the components in the exterior housing, so you could still open the door and not tell that it was a computer. Imagine all the WTF's?!? you'd get.

Back