Microwave Beam Stops Cars Dead

HardOCP News

[H] News
We missed this story last week about a microwave beam that can incapacitate a vehicle with a short burst of radiation lasting just 50 nanoseconds. Obviously it wouldn’t stop them Duke boys in their 70’ Charger but all modern cars with onboard computers could be stopped.

To disable cars, the device first generates energy that is amplified using a generator. The energy is converted to microwave radiation and then directed, by way of a specially designed antenna, at the offender in a narrow beam. The higher the frequency of the radiation, the more directed the beam, which allows the user to aim the energy at vulnerable car parts, such as light bulb filaments, lug nuts, frame bolts, or windshield antenna.

The article says it can zap cars up to approximately 600 feet. What it didn't say was whether the beam is precise or whether it shoots like birdshots. lol

Imagine a 5-lane Georgia highway during rush hour. Not only the criminal's car get zapped, but so does everyone else in a conical area within 600 feet of the police car.

;)

What if they accidentally fry somebody's brains? Also, what happens to a car whose circuits get fried at 120mph? Will it just slow to a stop? Suddenly stop, flinging everybody inside through the windshield? Or just keep going, uncontrollable until it rams into something, possibly killing a dozen civilians? Did they even think this through?

Read the article mate. It's harmless to people in every concievable way.

It just kills the car. It doesn't stop it dead in track or anything. If you lose power brakes, you can still brake manually. You just have to push the pedal a little harder, thats all.

It's not like pursuing a criminal in a high speed chase is any more safer.

I'll stick to the good old magnetron with a parabolic reflector.

What if they accidentally fry somebody's brains? Also, what happens to a car whose circuits get fried at 120mph? Will it just slow to a stop? Suddenly stop, flinging everybody inside through the windshield? Or just keep going, uncontrollable until it rams into something, possibly killing a dozen civilians? Did they even think this through?

If your computer goes out at any speed you (at best) end up with manual steering, braking etc. Someone could very easily get killed by disabling their vehicle at high speeds.

If this ever went into use, expect criminals to use high horsepower old muscle cars for their getaway vehicles.

If your computer goes out at any speed you (at best) end up with manual steering, braking etc. Someone could very easily get killed by disabling their vehicle at high speeds.

If this ever went into use, expect criminals to use high horsepower old muscle cars for their getaway vehicles.

Who said anything about criminals being smart? Have you seen those "stupid criminals caught on tape?" :D

Reminds me of Demolition Man when Salone and Bullock discovered the Olds 442 in one of the underground cavern because the automated cars of the future sucked. lol

This is so awesome...

Am I the only one that realizes that this is the first step to building a Star Wars like Ion Cannon?... Sweet!

I think this device would also be more useful for millitary applications vs law enforcement if you could project the beam at a greater distance.

We can build that ion cannon on the moon in a super secret evil lair and call it the "death star".

The article says it can zap cars up to approximately 600 feet.

Yeah, 2 years from now, and that's just what they think they can do, not guaranteed. Their tests only say it was effective from 10-50 feet away, quite a difference. IMO this device will never see the light of day. Something similar will probably come along eventually, but what they're describing sounds too unwieldy for real-world law enforcement use. The military will be able to make use of it though I'm sure.

The current prototype is about 5 feet long, 3 feet wide, a foot thick, and weighs just under 200 pounds.

hmm, maybe a couple years before this thing will be in use in police cars.

however, maybe it's time to invest in my moneys in "Eleanor" about now :D

Yeah, 2 years from now, and that's just what they think they can do, not guaranteed. Their tests only say it was effective from 10-50 feet away, quite a difference. IMO this device will never see the light of day. Something similar will probably come along eventually, but what they're describing sounds too unwieldy for real-world law enforcement use. The military will be able to make use of it though I'm sure.

That's true, but they need to start somewhere.

I'm also thinking how effective this microwave beam might be, not only disabling automobiles, but IEDs in them as well (unless it's crude explosives, like fertilizers and dynamites).

A smaller device could be useful for hostage situations where someone's holding a remote detonator. Instead of being a hero and trying to shoot it out of his hand, just zap him and his remote will fry.

There's quite a few good use of this application in the military and law enforcement. But there's also a danger. Bad guys relistically will probably never get their hands on an EMP device (unless you're NK or Iran :p), but things like this is more readily available.

this sounds like tha device they used in the 2 fast 2 furous where they shot some device onto a car and it shorted out the electrical system.

What about some of those newer cars that have drive by wire pedals and steering.

I know chevy has been playing around with this in concepts. No power, no brakes, no steering.

Correction, according to wiki Toyota already has Brake-by-wire systems on the road.

A smaller device could be useful for hostage situations where someone's holding a remote detonator. Instead of being a hero and trying to shoot it out of his hand, just zap him and his remote will fry.

That will only work 50% of the time, here's why:

If the idiot bomber has to pull to trigger to arm and send the datastream to ignite, the zapper kills the electronics.....great, your a hero

If the idiot bomber is holding the trigger while sending datastream to keep bomb FROM blowing up (think movie speed where he's holding the trigger and if he lets go, their toast), the zapper kills the electronics.....great, your a zero

:D

disclaimer > electronics guru here.....;)

So just shield your cars computer systems and your carpc and be done with it.

That will only work 50% of the time, here's why:

If the idiot bomber has to pull to trigger to arm and send the datastream to ignite, the zapper kills the electronics.....great, your a hero

If the idiot bomber is holding the trigger while sending datastream to keep bomb FROM blowing up (think movie speed where he's holding the trigger and if he lets go, their toast), the zapper kills the electronics.....great, your a zero

:D

disclaimer > electronics guru here.....;)

similar to holding a grenade with the pin out, right?

shoot the guy, the guy drops the grenade and it detonates.

I didn't think of that. :p

So we finally have an actual working H.E.R.F.* gun. Just don't point it at anyone with a pace maker.

*High Energy Radio Frequency

And whatever you do, do not cross the streams!

Assuming that this overloads circuits with an EMP like hit, wouldnt hitting an IED cause it to explode?

Just wondering. interesting idea though.

I wonder about the liability for police if they shoot the wrong car. And, i wonder what it would do to an older car, say like an old diesel truck.

Wrap it in tin-foil eh? I might as well make a pretty hat while I'm at it.
How do you think shielding electronics work? 300mhz is very easy to shield against....hrmm to give an example. The higher the frequency the less penetration through a conducting material RF waves have.

For example, at 10MHz, the skin depth is only 10um, and the distance only gets smaller as you go up. Tin is not as conductive as copper, but the difference isn't that huge. Tin foil is a fine shielding material at 300mhz.

Ungrounded, in a bowl shape over your head? probably not. But don't mock shielding electronics because of those dimwits.

21um

Hey, what's up with no edit post button :confused:

OMG 33 seconds between posts?

21um

Hey, what's up with no edit post button :confused:

OMG 33 seconds between posts?

How in the world did you get to 2[H]4U rank without knowing this? :p

No editing is allowed in the Frontpage forum. It's always been this way.

Even with electronic braking systems, you're still going to have a cable based emergency brake system. Not ideal, but certainly survivable.

The thing you have to remember is they are advocating using this for high speed chases and in the military. So when a car is approaching a checkpoint, instead of having to shoot the people when they don't stop for fear of IED suicide bombers, they can zap the car and short it out. This raises the question of how many Iraqi vehicles are still carbureted however...

I'm more opposed to the police and abuse of power than most, but I see how this thing could be a useful tool for certain situations.

How do you think shielding electronics work? 300mhz is very easy to shield against....hrmm to give an example. The higher the frequency the less penetration through a conducting material RF waves have.

For example, at 10MHz, the skin depth is only 10um, and the distance only gets smaller as you go up. Tin is not as conductive as copper, but the difference isn't that huge. Tin foil is a fine shielding material at 300mhz.

Ungrounded, in a bowl shape over your head? probably not. But don't mock shielding electronics because of those dimwits.

I wasnt trying to be a smartass.....well I guess I was.... BUT not a mean one!!!

[H]EMI_426;1031760425 said:
The Dukes drove a '69 Charger, not a '70. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

And (according to Wikipedia) '68 Chargers that had been given facelifts. Sorry, couldn't resist myself. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukes_of_hazard#Vehicles

I thought the 68 - 70 Chargers were the same BUT the 68 had a different grill (no divider) 69 had the divided grill and the 70 looked like the 69 but different tail lights.

I should KNOW all of this, the guy that did my Camaro is redoing a 69 right now

Well,

I think it's clear that the next step is to develop a safe and effective way to affix the device to a shark's head.

Awww yeaa....

Back