Microsoft’s Windows 7 Problem Isn’t Going Away

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Even the pro-Microsoft sites are noticing..

"Windows 7 usage share didn’t change much over the past year. That is a huge problem for Windows 10, and for Microsoft.

After the many issues it had getting the Windows XP installed based moved forward to more modern and secure Windows versions, Microsoft is basically facing the same problem again. That is, Microsoft doesn’t want Windows 7 to be the next Windows XP. But Windows 7 is absolutely the next Windows XP.

To see what I mean, simply examine the NetMarketShare usage share data that Microsoft also uses. Over the past three Januaries, Windows 7’s usage share has hovered around the 50 percent mark:"

• January 2015: 55.92 percent
  • January 2016: 52.47 percent
  • January 2017: 48.34 percent
"...Microsoft knows all this, of course. And while its bizarre attempts at discrediting Windows 7 have rightfully been derided by its customers, the underlying theme is familiar. Yes, Microsoft promised to support Windows 7 through January 2020. But it would really like you to upgrade to Windows 10. Like, now.

This mindset got Microsoft into trouble in 2016 when it stooped to deceiving consumers in order to get them to upgrade to Windows 10. Since then, it has taken various steps to make Windows 7 updating miserable for consumers as well, despite claiming otherwise."

Last edited:
They just need to get over themselves and issue a slightly updated version of Windows 7.

Call it Windows Se7en or something.

Seems like they are trying to push themselves out of the market.
But they also know that millions of users will eventually begrudgingly switch when there is no other choice.

the one feature that was the most alluring about windows 10 was directx 12.

so far a big resounding failure.

It takes years for developers to get up to speed on new APIs. Sniper Elite 4 that came out last week might be a sign of things to come. The DX 12 implementation in it is very good and even supports SLI well.

It takes years for developers to get up to speed on new APIs. Sniper Elite 4 that came out last week might be a sign of things to come. The DX 12 implementation in it is very good and even supports SLI well.

Not that I have any authority to speak on the matter, but isn't this sort of thing given to various developers to work with years before it actually releases?

I don't remember DX8 to DX9 or DX9 to DX10 taking that long. The change from DX8 to DX9 was quite significant, I remember upgrading to a 6600GT and HL2 literally came to life. I haven't seen an improvement like that since DX9.

I don't remember DX8 to DX9 or DX9 to DX10 taking that long. The change from DX8 to DX9 was quite significant, I remember upgrading to a 6600GT and HL2 literally came to life. I haven't seen an improvement like that since DX9.

It took a while for DX 11 to supplant DX 9.

Not that I have any authority to speak on the matter, but isn't this sort of thing given to various developers to work with years before it actually releases?

Yes but it takes years to develop big titles. It's not like every Linux game has all of a sudden gone to Vulkan.

Serves them right.
The most basic premise, provide what they want and they will like it is glaringly obvious.
Doing exactly the opposite and worse has had a predictable result.
Dickheads for spoiling mine and many others hobbies as well as much of the worlds computing experience.

I've hated Windows 10 since it was Windows 8.1 and swore I'd never use it or buy it. However I recently bought a laptop (Lenovo Yoga/i5 and it's a bad ass little laptop) with Windows 10 on it and told myself I would just install Win7 on there and be happy. Well it's been a couple months and I've still got Windows 10 on it and I hate to admit this because I'm never wrong but Windows 10 ain't that bad. Yes the Start menu isn't as good as Win7 and there are a couple other quirks I don't like but I have to admit, it's not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

Now granted I only use it for web surfing and to operate my DSP for my car audio (JL Audio's TuN software for the Twk DSP) and a sound measuring program (REW) so maybe it's not as good for more demanding workloads but it's working just fine for what I'm using it for and I'm not having anywhere near the problems adjusting to it like I did with Win8. My wife's laptop has Win8 on it and it's just awful and I never could get acclimated to it's UI but Win10 is a LOT more like Win7 than it is Win8 and seems to have a much smaller learning curve coming from 7.

I do still prefer Win7 and still consider it to be virtually perfect and arguably the best OS ever but I have to admit that when I build my new Zen rig in a few weeks/months, it looks like I'll be eating some crow and installing a new copy of Win10 on it instead of 7. Guess that could be Microsoft's new slogan, "Windows 10 - it's not as bad as you think it is".

I've hated Windows 10 since it was Windows 8.1 and swore I'd never use it or buy it. However I recently bought a laptop (Lenovo Yoga/i5 and it's a bad ass little laptop) with Windows 10 on it and told myself I would just install Win7 on there and be happy. Well it's been a couple months and I've still got Windows 10 on it and I hate to admit this because I'm never wrong but Windows 10 ain't that bad. Yes the Start menu isn't as good as Win7 and there are a couple other quirks I don't like but I have to admit, it's not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

Now granted I only use it for web surfing and to operate my DSP for my car audio (JL Audio's TuN software for the Twk DSP) and a sound measuring program (REW) so maybe it's not as good for more demanding workloads but it's working just fine for what I'm using it for and I'm not having anywhere near the problems adjusting to it like I did with Win8. My wife's laptop has Win8 on it and it's just awful and I never could get acclimated to it's UI but Win10 is a LOT more like Win7 than it is Win8 and seems to have a much smaller learning curve coming from 7.

I do still prefer Win7 and still consider it to be virtually perfect and arguably the best OS ever but I have to admit that when I build my new Zen rig in a few weeks/months, it looks like I'll be eating some crow and installing a new copy of Win10 on it instead of 7. Guess that could be Microsoft's new slogan, "Windows 10 - it's not as bad as you think it is".

Well, I will let you know how my Ryzen upgrade went next Thursday or so. I am going from an FX 8300, 16GB of DDR 3 1866 Ram and Asus 970 Pro to an 1700X, probably Asus Crosshair VI Hero and 16 GB of DDR4 2800 memory. I already have my Noctua AM4 mounting kit and the ram sitting right near me.

Well, I will let you know how my Ryzen upgrade went next Thursday or so. I am going from an FX 8300, 16GB of DDR 3 1866 Ram and Asus 970 Pro to an 1700X, probably Asus Crosshair VI Hero and 16 GB of DDR4 2800 memory. I already have my Noctua AM4 mounting kit and the ram sitting right near me.
Definitely let me know. That's pretty much what I'm going to. Still undecided if I'm gonna hang on to my 290x or not cause I'm still able to play everything so far at max settings with very good frame rates. But I'm almost 100% on the Crosshair board.

If Windows 10 were as bad as some say it is, it's hard for me to imagine who anyone could use it. Many of the stories about 10 seem to be nothing but constant problems of something that fundamentally doesn't work in any way, shape or form.

At this point, people putting together the latest and greatest hardware are going to become increasingly less inclined to install a going on 8 year old OS. Windows 10 is simply going to have better support for the latest and greatest going forward.

Where did you initially get the "Win 10 hate" from? It sounds like you had no experience with it before deciding you didn't like it.

Last edited:
Where did you initially get the "Win 10 hate" from? It sounds like you had no experience with it before deciding you didn't like it.

From Windows 8. Had it on my wife's laptop and our computers at work and I hate it. When Win10 came out it looked like it was just 8.1 with some polish so that along with all the negative press it got had me thinking it was no better than 8. I didn't know that all I have to do with 10 is just set it to desktop mode and the Metro bullshit is gone and it's a lot more like Win7. I still prefer the Start menu and UI of 7 but 10 is pretty close and it doesn't take long to get acclimated to it and learn my way around. That was another bitch I had about 8, it just was wrong and never felt natural moving around the UI - like I had to hunt and dig to figure out how to do something basic.

Back