Microsoft's Project Astoria and Android app emulation not happening anytime soon

Well, that sucks! I'm still on my Nexus 6, but I do have a Windows 640XL and was curious about the 950XL.

Now that is proven technically possible, I wonder how long until someone releases it as its own app? Pulling parts of the kernel might make it impossible though.

It's sounds like the iOS one is still on, but requiring a recompile means you still need someone to give the smallest of fucks, which even then I doubt will happen.

Yeah, kind of sucks. But I doubt they'll just drop this. And from the rumor mill is saying from some pretty good sources in the Microsoft world like Paul Thurrott are saying, there will be an x86 Surface Phone. x86 Android emulation has been around for a while and works reasonably well. Add Android and Win32 support to a phone in addition to native Windows universal and phone apps and you have something that can make some money. Not a game changer but something that at the right price could push enough phones to Windows phones somewhat profitable.

I like WP quite a bit but as a platform for development it's not as nice as IOS and they won't be able to attract enough developers from android due to the sheer numbers it has. If they do manage to come out with a sweet x86 phone I'll jump on it, otherwise I'm sticking to cheap WP's for now.

This is about the only thing that will save Microsoft in the phone space. I like Android (just got a Nexus 6P), but if Microsoft were to release a nice Windows-based phone with Android compatibility and a laptop-style dock I'd absolutely consider buying it.

Back