Microsoft's officially pulls DRM on XB1 & Region free!

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...13/06/update&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13716805911736

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Shocking

Doesn't shock me at all. I predicted this would happen, it was only a matter of time. I still believe that the Ps4 is a better deal at the current price for pre-order (that and I don't need a camera on my gaming device) and the exclusives on the PS imo are far better than MS' offerings.

I'll get a PS4 eventually in a couple years to play GT6+, Uncharted series, etc.

MS is really out of touch between Windows 8 and this. Good move in the right direction, there must have been some exciting meetings leading up to this. Now people need to bitch enough to kill the bundled Kinect.

Last edited:
MS is really out of touch between Windows 8 and this. Good move in the right direction, there must have been some exciting meetings leading up to this. Now people need to bitch enough to kill the bundled Kinect.

My guess, that wouldn't be likely. For a peripheral to see adoption, it needs a large userbase - no bigger than requiring it for every console. The hope there is the tech finds a foot hold with many titles, since they won't be coding an additional feature for a fraction of the userbase. They can require it.

Good job Microsoft. Sometimes you just need to take the wax out of your ears. I also hope the Kinect dies too, but that's wishful thinking.

I imagine it was all part of their plan to begin with, to get people stirred up and talking.

I think the looked at the pre-order numbers and had no choice. I have my PS4 pre-ordered but will now probably buy an X1 within the first 6 months of launch. If they drop the mandatory Kinect I'll buy at launch.

Something is probably really bad if even the executives (who are usually out of touch with the consumers) realizes how bad it is. :p

Good for them I guess. It would have been a massive failure had Microsoft refuses to budge

They still have a lot of damage with bad press they caused. Hopefully people vote with their wallets.

Region-free is probably the biggest victory for me. It means I am not limited to buying my games locally at quite high prices.

People will forget by launch.

And why all the Kinect hate? I haven't heard anything about the console requiring it to be plugged in before it'll boot up, so if you don't want to use it, keep it in the box and sell it to some fool who let their kids tear their's up.

And why all the Kinect hate? I haven't heard anything about the console requiring it to be plugged in before it'll boot up, so if you don't want to use it, keep it in the box and sell it to some fool who let their kids tear their's up.

I've heard the exact opposite, the console will NOT powerup unless the kinect is attached.

Its a perfect storm with the always-on mic (and potentially camera as well) connected to the internet... added with the whole NSA spying on citizens and ignoring our right to privacy. If the NSA can get access to our emails, whats to stop them from checking your kinect and see what things you've been talking about?

This is actually a serious security concern for the military, but it should be equally as important to anybody else who is thinking of getting one.

The Kinect is absolutely required for the box to work. Obviously you could unplug it when you shut off the console, but I'd expect it to give you an error message to plug it in as soon as you power back on.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

and here's a newer article that suggests Microsoft isn't dropping this requirement with the rest of the DRM: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...x-one-kinect-requirement-despite-ditching-drm

The Kinect is absolutely required for the box to work. Obviously you could unplug it when you shut off the console, but I'd expect it to give you an error message to plug it in as soon as you power back on.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

and here's a newer article that suggests Microsoft isn't dropping this requirement with the rest of the DRM: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...x-one-kinect-requirement-despite-ditching-drm

Okay thank you. I only said I hadn't heard they were requiring it, not that I believed they weren't going to. I guess I just worded wrongly.

Okay thank you. I only said I hadn't heard they were requiring it, not that I believed they weren't going to. I guess I just worded wrongly.

I got what you meant. I was commenting to the fact that you'd be boned if you ever chose to sell it.

It would be nice if they dropped the Kinect requirement and came out with a $399 SKU also. But I don't think they will. The DRM was their biggest source of criticism and now that they have those people off their backs, I think there a lot more comfortable going forward ignoring the other complaints. I don't understand it though, as it seems like the least necessary thing to force on people. It's great that it can be used to control a lot of things on the box, but there's no reason to not let people opt out of that and just use a controller like they have been. With the DRM I can see what Microsoft had hoped to gain, but I don't see the same logic with the forced Kinect.

I got what you meant. I was commenting to the fact that you'd be boned if you ever chose to sell it.

It would be nice if they dropped the Kinect requirement and came out with a $399 SKU also. But I don't think they will. The DRM was their biggest source of criticism and now that they have those people off their backs, I think there a lot more comfortable going forward ignoring the other complaints. I don't understand it though, as it seems like the least necessary thing to force on people. It's great that it can be used to control a lot of things on the box, but there's no reason to not let people opt out of that and just use a controller like they have been. With the DRM I can see what Microsoft had hoped to gain, but I don't see the same logic with the forced Kinect.

They want a unified platform. Developers don't like to spend money on developing a feature for hardware that may not exist on a console.

A pity though... They could just kill the whole disc based games for good, and move the whole business to digital distribution. Disc-based software needs to die same way as 32bit OS.

I've heard the exact opposite, the console will NOT powerup unless the kinect is attached.

Its a perfect storm with the always-on mic (and potentially camera as well) connected to the internet... added with the whole NSA spying on citizens and ignoring our right to privacy. If the NSA can get access to our emails, whats to stop them from checking your kinect and see what things you've been talking about?

This is actually a serious security concern for the military, but it should be equally as important to anybody else who is thinking of getting one.

This.

It's fantastic that fan protest actually changed something. Kinect 2 requirement is the next thing to get protested

They want a unified platform. Developers don't like to spend money on developing a feature for hardware that may not exist on a console.

I think very few developers would think that way, for two reasons. Primarily, anything multiplatform is likely to be developed on a universal feature set. They aren't going to bake in Kinect functionality because it'll all have to be scraped for PS4. You may see gimmicky stuff (like shouts for Skyim), but nothing game altering and therefor nothing that couldn't be avoided on the X1 just as easily as not having it on PS4.

As for exclusives, I still think your going to see very few games that explicitly require Kinect. Simply put, when people play a game, they are going to expect one or the other. You're not going to fire up Halo and find that it requires a hand gesture to reload or something. That will kill the game for anyone who doesn't want to do Kinect shit. I predict that Kinect support will be just as segregated with the X1 as the 360, nobody likes a mix of the two.

A pity though... They could just kill the whole disc based games for good, and move the whole business to digital distribution. Disc-based software needs to die same way as 32bit OS.

user base would not be large enough. there are TONS of places where digital only would never work. Even where I live, I'd have to wait days to download a full game.

I hope Xbox keeps messing up.
I purchased a bunch of PS4's which I will sell during the holiday season.

So the more Xbox F's up the more I will be able to get for my PS4's.

keep up the bad work MS!

They left a really bad impression at least to me with the xbone. I;ll buy a ps4 if I even buy a console, why the hell not? Like already stated, it's quite faster, cheaper, and imo the games being offered look better on Sony's side.

You are aware that the Kinect can be turned off right? Once it is installed it doesn't need to run again after that.

keep up the bad work MS!

people like you are the reason the Ni No Kuni special edition items were virtually only available for 300% MSRP.

keep up the bad work MS!

lol ^this guy is gonna sell em for 800 bucks on ebay

Dear lord do we really need more threads about this evrywhere? Theres already four or so in the correct forum about this.

Back