Microsoft’s new Edge Chromium browser launches on Windows and macOS

"Anti competitive" practices is almost hilarious if you're actually suggesting it with a straight face, considering MS wrote the book on that, and how they decimated Netscape and then played with their entrails.

All Google really did was took a page out of Microsoft's playbook while the latter hibernated in complacency. If this were the alternate timeline where the MS/Google browser shares were reversed and it was Microsoft doing the "anti competitive", there would be those swearing Microsoft was "just being smart", etc. And this is why brand and corporate tribalism is so skullhammeringly pointless.

LOL!. What was just said changes nothing of what I said, deal with it.

"Anti competitive" practices is almost hilarious if you're actually suggesting it with a straight face, considering MS wrote the book on that, and how they decimated Netscape and then played with their entrails.

All Google really did was took a page out of Microsoft's playbook while the latter hibernated in complacency. If this were the alternate timeline where the MS/Google browser shares were reversed and it was Microsoft doing the "anti competitive", there would be those swearing Microsoft was "just being smart", etc. And this is why brand and corporate tribalism is so skullhammeringly pointless.
I never bought into that. I loved netscape and love mozilla (though I use Waterfox these days), but bottom line is Netscape had a free browser and so did MS. MS put there's in windows and a lot of people never tried anything else. I used netscape right up until Firefox v1 came out then I switched.

To me, the reason to go after MS had more to do with other actions, like "it's not finished until Lotus 123 doesn't work." I thought that their entire Windows Chicago marketing was designed to keep people from trying OS2. Thus, Chicago (that's win 95 beta for the few kids on here) was supposed to be out in December 94 and MS kept trumpeting that most of the year, even though beta testers knew it wasn't even close to being ready and a 94 release was never really on the table).

FFS, AOL bought netscape and they still used IE, as I recall....then again, I think they just wanted netscape.com, which I never got, since I never went to netscape.com, and I used netscape.

when you install this Chromium version does the older Edge remain on your system as well?

What exactly is wrong with FireFox?
It can slow down a computer with a hard drive (maybe not a SSD) when it needs to reboot for updates. It also doesn't have a "user-friendly" way of changing the wallpaper like Chrome or Opera.

It can slow down a computer with a hard drive (maybe not a SSD) when it needs to reboot for updates. It also doesn't have a "user-friendly" way of changing the wallpaper like Chrome or Opera.
I’ve never had either of those issues. As for changing wallpaper, Chrome literally has no option to change wallpaper from within the browser like Firefox, all I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Last edited:
I do not think I have ever considered ease of changing the browser's wallpaper when considering a browser. I use Firefox for 60% of my browsing. I do have privacybadger, ublock, Https everywhere and Ad block installed on it, so it is likely not as lean as I would want it, but then Chrome still is usually worse. Firefox can be finicky with certain streaming, so I do use Chrome for those items where it doesn't work well.
I downloaded the new Edge and it is definitely quite snappy. I hate that it uses Bing by default, but there are ways to fix that. At this point, it seems the bar is actually set pretty low for browsers. Responsiveness, alternatives to (or ports of) popular plug-ins, and security (from both external threats as well as the browser maker itself) without being annoying. So Far "New Edge" has replaced Chrome and a portion of my Firefox use, though this is mainly because I am still trying out out. We will see if it holds up long term.

I do not think I have ever considered ease of changing the browser's wallpaper when considering a browser. I use Firefox for 60% of my browsing. I do have privacybadger, ublock, Https everywhere and Ad block installed on it, so it is likely not as lean as I would want it, but then Chrome still is usually worse. Firefox can be finicky with certain streaming, so I do use Chrome for those items where it doesn't work well.
I downloaded the new Edge and it is definitely quite snappy. I hate that it uses Bing by default, but there are ways to fix that. At this point, it seems the bar is actually set pretty low for browsers. Responsiveness, alternatives to (or ports of) popular plug-ins, and security (from both external threats as well as the browser maker itself) without being annoying. So Far "New Edge" has replaced Chrome and a portion of my Firefox use, though this is mainly because I am still trying out out. We will see if it holds up long term.
I don't even know what browser wallpaper is, but I'm pretty sure it's not something I'd care about. It sounds like the new edge is worth downloading, so I'll give it a shot. I already use it for Facebook (because I don't use it for much else, which limits the ads for things I looked at).

why not make this available via Windows Update?...sounds like it's pretty stable and bug free...most people are missing out as any browser having to do with Microsoft has always had a bad reputation

Firefox does everything I need it to do and respects my privacy as much as possible. I have no need for yet another spyware application.

Yeah, Firefox is better in about every way, especially for privacy concerns.

I used to use Chrome pretty heavily, but after Quantum released I've stuck with FF.

Don't think I would ever consider an MS/Google browser again (though of course you can never fully escape, I use Android)

Any way to customize this browser?

I'm trying to get tabs opened from one tab put at the very end and not after the current tab.

Firefox has this setting in about:config with a boolean called something like insertrelatedtabsaftercurrent.

So far though, I'm finding Edge snappier than FF (don't use chrome) with my Skylake laptop.

Yeah, Firefox is better in about every way, especially for privacy concerns.

I used to use Chrome pretty heavily, but after Quantum released I've stuck with FF.

Don't think I would ever consider an MS/Google browser again (though of course you can never fully escape, I use Android)

Identical here. As soon as FF Quantum was released I dropped Chrome like a hot potato and never looked back.

I don't see any need to change browsers.

What exactly is wrong with FireFox?
A lot is wrong with mozilla.org. FireFox vacillates between privacy and joining up with Googles of the world depending on who is President so far. As long as Trump is president I'm sure FireFox will lean to privacy.

If at some point I have to use a Chromium-based browser, Edge is the one I like the most so far. It was my daily driver during much of its beta availability. I did run into a number of hiccups but they were all due to it being a beta- and pretty much each issue I had with it was eventually resolved. They were pretty responsive to feedback on the beta.

That said, once a couple of huge showstopper-level bugs I used to encounter daily with Firefox eventually went away- I returned to Firefox again and have no inclination to change back to anything else.

Microsoft’s new Edge browser: Third time's the charm?

One of the first things you’ll notice about the new Edge is just how zippy it is, and how quickly web sites load in it...even when using 10 or more tabs, I didn’t find it sluggish, as often happens with Chrome...the new Edge also doesn’t suffer from another Chrome problem — the tendency to slow down the longer you use the browser, especially when you have multiple tabs open

Tests I ran using Task Manager to measure RAM use found that Edge uses less RAM than Chrome...running the browsers with the same five tabs open and with all extensions removed, Chrome used on average about 14% more RAM than Edge...Edge is now at least a good a browser as Chrome and possibly better, particularly for enterprise use...

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3513973/microsofts-new-edge-browser-third-times-the-charm.html

About a week ago, out of curiosity, I installed the new Edge. I'm giving it a month of exclusive use at home. I think it's going to be a keeper. It is definitely faster at rendering and opening pages than Firefox and feels faster than Google Chrome. Oh, and this coming from a 15-year user Firefox loyalist! Laugh if you will, but I trust Microsoft a whole lot more than Google. Google did develop the code base, but it free, open source. Microsoft got it right, really right this time. I really doubt I'll be going back to Firefox, not without a major reworking from Mozilla.

Observations and customization so far:
1. Although the bookmarks ("Favorites") handling and GUI is much improved over the original Edge, at the default configuration it's still a clunky monkey compared to Firefox. Easy fix - I installed the Chrome extension Bookmark Sidebar. In my opinion, bookmarks management and ease of access is now easier than it is in Firefox.
2. The built-in ad blocking works fairly well, but it wasn't enough. I installed the Chrome extension uBlock Origin. Pop-up and other ad blocking is now as good as it was in Firefox.
3. If you install the new Edge (download from Microsoft), it will automatically replace your original Edge, if it's installed in the system. Installation is very easy, probably easiest I've experienced.

For those of you who don't know, since Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome are built from the same code base, all Google Chrome extensions work with Edge.
Give it a try. The worst that can happen is it won't be your favorite and you can remove it from your comp in just a few seconds.

I don't trust either company. Microsoft switching to Chromium definitely doesn't change that.
You can trust a company to do what they think is best for their bottom line. And right now for Microsoft that is playing nice with enterprise and business on security and data privacy.

Downloaded and started using it and I have to say, hats off to Microsoft for finally launching a browser that isn’t a steaming pile of garbage and only exists as a vector for downloading a better browser.

You can trust a company to do what they think is best for their bottom line. And right now for Microsoft that is playing nice with enterprise and business on security and data privacy.
I don’t ever put Microsoft and privacy in the same sentence. What they’re doing is caving into Google’s hold on the browser market because Chrome has clearly become the standard now.

I don’t ever put Microsoft and privacy in the same sentence. What they’re doing is caving into Google’s hold on the browser market because Chrome has clearly become the standard now.

In the past, I might have agreed but now I do not, they are not caving, just simply going where the market is going. Chromium is not Chrome, thankfully and besides, show me a browser that MS has produced from the ground up and was successful, recently.

In the past, I might have agreed but now I do not, they are not caving, just simply going where the market is going. Chromium is not Chrome, thankfully and besides, show me a browser that MS has produced from the ground up and was successful, recently.
Chromium IS Chrome ... it's just not imbued with all of Google's tracking crap ... but now Edge is Chromium that's imbued with all of Microsoft's tracking crap.

Works fine, but don't see much of a difference between the Edge?

I never bought into that. I loved netscape and love mozilla (though I use Waterfox these days), but bottom line is Netscape had a free browser and so did MS. MS put there's in windows and a lot of people never tried anything else. I used netscape right up until Firefox v1 came out then I switched.

To me, the reason to go after MS had more to do with other actions, like "it's not finished until Lotus 123 doesn't work." I thought that their entire Windows Chicago marketing was designed to keep people from trying OS2. Thus, Chicago (that's win 95 beta for the few kids on here) was supposed to be out in December 94 and MS kept trumpeting that most of the year, even though beta testers knew it wasn't even close to being ready and a 94 release was never really on the table).

FFS, AOL bought netscape and they still used IE, as I recall....then again, I think they just wanted netscape.com, which I never got, since I never went to netscape.com, and I used netscape.

I had all sorts of problems with netscape 4 crashing and so I gave ie4 a shot. Never looked back. I understand the anti-competitive charges and whatnot, but I don't think I would have switched if the early versions of netscape 4 weren't garbage. Eventually switched to firefox and chrome as IE6 stagnated forever and half my computers were linux. I've been casually trying the new edge. So far it's working well. Once I can confirm the hevc support works well for my purposes (it did in the old edge) I may switch to edge.

I had all sorts of problems with netscape 4 crashing and so I gave ie4 a shot. Never looked back. I understand the anti-competitive charges and whatnot, but I don't think I would have switched if the early versions of netscape 4 weren't garbage. Eventually switched to firefox and chrome as IE6 stagnated forever and half my computers were linux. I've been casually trying the new edge. So far it's working well. Once I can confirm the hevc support works well for my purposes (it did in the old edge) I may switch to edge.
I can't remember what 4 was. If it's the one with tabs, I liked it, but that doesn't mean it did't crash. I just don't remember it. Personally, I never liked IE. Edge was OK. the new Edge is better. Nevertheless, I still mostly use Waterfox (though maybe i'll go back to FF). I like having noscript...but I also like having Facebook run in a browser that is used for for almost nothing but email to family and FB itself. Less info for FB to collect ;)

Back