Microsoft’s new Edge Chromium browser launches on Windows and macOS

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Last edited:
Works well, much like Chrome, and seems to have better GPU acceleration than Chrome on Windows, based on my experience.

Will be glad when W10 incorporates this into the base OS, so I don't have to deploy Chrome any more in my organization. Having a single browser will be nice. As long as Microsoft doesn't stray from chromium or Google plays dirty, I see Microsoft taking back browser market share, especially in the enterprise sector, as 1) W7 EOL has businesses scrambling to upgrade and 2) EdgeChromium will get wrapped into W10 soon.

So far... I'm actually kindof enjoying it. It's like Chrome but with more and easier privacy settings...

Weird, I've been on the fence about browsers recently, wanting to get rid of chrome for privacy reasons, but I would never in a thousand years think I'd be moving to... Edge...

I've been using non-Chromium Edge as my main browser for awhile now so this new version just takes it to another level...great job by Microsoft

So far... I'm actually kindof enjoying it. It's like Chrome but with more and easier privacy settings...

Weird, I've been on the fence about browsers recently, wanting to get rid of chrome for privacy reasons, but I would never in a thousand years think I'd be moving to... Edge...
Business, Enterprise, Education, and Government have been begging for a more privacy focused browser that isn’t Firefox. It was only a matter of time till MS stepped up but the real question is how long can they keep it going till they mess it up.

Microsoft ripped out its EdgeHTML rendering and Chakra JavaScript engines that powered the old Edge browser, and replaced them with Google's V8 and Blink engines in the new Edge...it's out of beta and the final build is now available for download...I'm hearing very good things about it...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

polonyc2 think they'll open source that EdgeHTML and Chakra JavaScript engine?

Plagiarism at it's finest. Our crap don't work, lets "acquire" that which is good.

It's sad, I liked Chrome.

I've used the beta for a while and mostly liked it. If you have a lot of tabs open in a single window, it doesn't really handle that well. Otherwise, nothing major has come up, yet.

Plagiarism at it's finest. Our crap don't work, lets "acquire" that which is good.

It's not plagiarism, these are open-source technologies. And since Chrome took over the internet, EVERYTHING is created to have compatibility with Chrome first, other browsers as "alternatives". So Microsoft pulling the open-source Chromium/Blink engines was brilliant for compatibility.

How's this compared to Firefox Quantum?

Honestly I don't mind the new Firefox, I've historically used both FF and Chrome, Firefox is my dedicated "private" browser for when I need to sign into client accounts for administration. Chrome for general browsing.

It's not plagiarism, these are open-source technologies. And since Chrome took over the internet, EVERYTHING is created to have compatibility with Chrome first, other browsers as "alternatives". So Microsoft pulling the open-source Chromium/Blink engines was brilliant for compatibility.

MS went Chromium because Google doesn't play fair. It's that plain and simple.

This slashdot post sums up what was happening a while back.

Whether it was coincidence or not (the sabotaging), I guess we'll never know. However, the fact is Edge was and is still beating the crap out of Chrome especially in rendering performance. At least on Windows that's been the case for some time.

Yeah, Chrome has historically had better compatibility. But read between the lines and you'll see why.

It's sad, I liked Edge.

MS went Chromium because Google doesn't play fair. It's that plain and simple.

This slashdot post sums up what was happening a while back.

Whether it was coincidence or not (the sabotaging), I guess we'll never know. However, the fact is Edge was and is still beating the crap out of Chrome especially in rendering performance. At least on Windows that's been the case for some time.

Yeah, Chrome has historically had better compatibility. But read between the lines and you'll see why.

It's sad, I liked Edge.
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FxWZPwTAh2wJfG%2Fgiphy.gif

Chromium is the base for chrome for those who don't know.
E.g. Vivaldi or similar are chromium based.

Google plays dirty on pootube and runs code to slow your stuff down if it ain't chrome, mostly targeting ffx and edge.
So running chromium can relieve some of that bs.

Anybody else unable to import browser data from Firefox?

Does everybody else have the word BETA on their icon or did I click on the wrong link?

As long as its memory handling is improved from regular Chrome - I'm game to try anything that won't feed more of my info / minimize to Google.

Does everybody else have the word BETA on their icon or did I click on the wrong link?

I haven't gotten the new build yet but you might've clicked on the wrong link. Previously they were offering multiple different builds: beta, dev, and canary (nightlies).

Well, I have been using this almost exclusively since it was released on the dev channel. I also use it exclusively on my Galaxy S8 since it is what it is.

I know edge only accounted for a small % of users these days, but kind of wish m$ went to Gecko instead. Its becoming scary how much control/power google it attaining. What happens when chromium captures 90% of the browser usage?

I know edge only accounted for a small % of users these days, but kind of wish m$ went to Gecko instead. Its becoming scary how much control/power google it attaining. What happens when chromium captures 90% of the browser usage?

Hey, it is what it is and most people excepted Google being what they are a long time ago. Not you specifically but, I have zero sympathy for anyone since we knew this was coming a long time ago.

Just to check, is the latest version Version 80.0.361.33? (under settings>About Microsoft Edge)

certain sites (YouTube) are already slower when using a non-Chrome browser so hopefully this makes for a better browsing experience

Though this seems like a good idea, I think long term it is a bad direction.

Soon you'll see sites only supporting Chrome-like browsers, same way years ago you used have to use IE to access certain web apps.

This direction was already determined years ago, when folks praised Google from their browser left and right and Google shoved it in our faces ever where you looked. Oh, and Googles anti competitive practices worked, such as it is.

This direction was already determined years ago, when folks praised Google from their browser left and right and Google shoved it in our faces ever where you looked. Oh, and Googles anti competitive practices worked, such as it is.
Do you like it though despite those practices?

Not gonna lie... Ive been using the new Edge for all of thirty minutes and its pretty solid as far as the speed. A few websites I frequent scroll smoother and pages seem to load faster. The fact that it pulled everything from Chrome makes it so easy to switch over that I may just daily it for a while to see how it goes.

You can make a website into an App with this Browser, not sure if the other browsers could do this.

Edge-Chromium-Pages-as-Apps-Taskbar.jpg

Edge-Chromium-Pages-as-Apps.jpg

"Anti competitive" practices is almost hilarious if you're actually suggesting it with a straight face, considering MS wrote the book on that, and how they decimated Netscape and then played with their entrails.

All Google really did was took a page out of Microsoft's playbook while the latter hibernated in complacency. If this were the alternate timeline where the MS/Google browser shares were reversed and it was Microsoft doing the "anti competitive", there would be those swearing Microsoft was "just being smart", etc. And this is why brand and corporate tribalism is so skullhammeringly pointless.

Last edited:
Back