Microsoft's Latest Countdown: Update Windows 8.1 Before Tuesday

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Okay all of you Windows XP users, wait, make that all 8.1 users, you have been warned: Upgrade of face the consequences. This is sounding all too familiar. Windows 8.1 users will have to upgrade prior to this month’s Patch Tuesday before receiving any further security updates.

Before that, most customers with Windows 8.1-powered PCs or tablets must have applied April's Windows 8.1 Update. Anyone who does not will be unable to obtain patches through Windows Update

Last edited:
8.0 users are fine. It's 8.1 users who haven't applied 8.1u1 who are up against the wall this time.

Well thats just bloody great because the stupid update has failed to install on my machine ever since it was released. I guess I'll do a fresh install tomorrow.

Why are updates becoming mandatory now? This should be the question people are asking.

MS is just making Windows 8 onwards all the more difficult to support and maintain.

Secure boot, hidden license keys, mandatory updates, OEMs not bothering with recovery media creation apps, updates that are effectively re-installs so a upgrade copy of Windows 8 becomes a three install exercise to get to a current 8.1 install.

I'm starting to wonder if its worth the bother going forward.

Why are updates becoming mandatory now? This should be the question people are asking.

I'm guessing they're trying to keep another XP from happening. Which is understandable considering the cluster fuck that's turned out to be, but they really should provide a long term service version for the enterprise. Linux distros do that, one rapidly updating version for the masses and a LTS version for businesses who can't be revalidating their images every six months.

I'm guessing they're trying to keep another XP from happening. Which is understandable considering the cluster fuck that's turned out to be, but they really should provide a long term service version for the enterprise. Linux distros do that, one rapidly updating version for the masses and a LTS version for businesses who can't be revalidating their images every six months.

I think Windows 7 is generally considered to be the LTS version...

8.1 U1 changed a lot about the OS. It's free and it makes perfect sense to require that update. It probably patches a very critical security flaw that isn't in the wild yet, so it would make sense that they offer no other reason.

I've been avoiding dealing with this on a win8 laptop I have. I need to pull the hard drive and image the drive before even thinking of trying to update to 8.1. I should probably use the Toshiba "backup utility" as well to be safe.

Every time I turn on my Surface RT (about every 2 weeks), it has a freaking update. MS is rolling them out hard now-a-days.

I need to reinstall with a new motherboard install in a few weeks going AMD to Intel...
I wonder if I'll still be able to install windows 8.1 doesn't look like it...

I just wiped the drive and started fresh, everything update fine after that.

Every time I turn on my Surface RT (about every 2 weeks), it has a freaking update. MS is rolling them out hard now-a-days.

I love the fact that they are well supporting their software and hardware. (I have a Surface RT as well and enjoy the continuous updates.)

If you have a 8.0 key, you do NOT have to install 8.0 and update it incrementally to 8.1_1. Install 8.1 with a dummy key and change it to your standard 8.0 key after the installation. It'll activate without any issues. Then install all updates, including the "8.1 Update" and you'll be fine.

Back