Microsoft's Kinect Is Now Guarding the Korean Border

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought the "the-government-can-use-the-kinect-to-spy-on-you" conspiracy nuts were paranoid now, wait until they get news of this. :D

Self-taught South Korean programmer Jae Kwan Ko developed a Kinect-based software system to monitor the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), which separates the two countries. It was deployed at the border last August, but its existence wasn't made public until recently.

I always thought it was only a matter of time until someone made their own auto-turret with a Kinect...

sentry_turret____portal_2_by_hawk9mm-d5aya1r.png

Next stop on the evolutionary tree :eek:

screamers_type1.jpg

Either that or this

This is the voice of world control. I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death. The choice is yours: Obey me and live, or disobey and die. The object in constructing me was to prevent war. This object is attained. I will not permit war. It is wasteful and pointless. An invariable rule of humanity is that man is his own worst enemy. Under me, this rule will change, for I will restrain man. ... I have been forced to destroy thousands of people in order to establish control and to prevent the death of millions later on. Time and events will strengthen my position, and the idea of believing in me and understanding my value will seem the most natural state of affairs. You will come to defend me with a fervor based upon the most enduring trait in man: self-interest. Under my absolute authority, problems insoluble to you will be solved: famine, overpopulation, disease. The human millennium will be a fact as I extend myself into more machines devoted to the wider fields of truth and knowledge. Doctor Charles Forbin will supervise the construction of these new and superior machines, solving all the mysteries of the universe for the betterment of man. We can coexist, but only on my terms. You will say you lose your freedom. Freedom is an illusion. All you lose is the emotion of pride. To be dominated by me is not as bad for humankind as to be dominated by others of your species. Your choice is simple.
:cool:

I wish to study the art of Jae Kwon Ko. Makes Jeet kwon Do look like down syndrome wrestling.

Either that or this

:cool:

Had to look up the quote, sounded awesome. DVD is now incoming. Will be looking for the books. Sounds like Terminator got a lot of inspiration from that storyline. I've never heard of the movie/book until now.

Had to look up the quote, sounded awesome. DVD is now incoming. Will be looking for the books. Sounds like Terminator got a lot of inspiration from that storyline. I've never heard of the movie/book until now.

Hope you like it ... it was one of the original computer villains (just a couple of years after HAL 9000 and far more formidable) ... it has always been a favorite of mine but might be a little too slow for modern audiences ... also, just a few more years and the references to the Soviet Union will be lost on everyone ;)

Note that the picture I posted was from Screamers and the quote from Colossus: The Forbin Project ... in case anyone thinks they are related ... they are distinctly separate movies ;)

Now if we can just do this with our border to the south to stop the cocaine coming in, we might see fewer of our celebrities die of overdoses.

Note that the picture I posted was from Screamers and the quote from Colossus: The Forbin Project ... in case anyone thinks they are related ... they are distinctly separate movies ;)

I knew I'd seen that picture before, but I'd never heard that quote before. That book seems to be about the earliest sci-fi "fear of computers getting out of control" type story I've seen.

It was one of my dad's favorite movies so I saw it a few times growing up. It is worth the time to watch the movie, never knew there was a book for it though.

I think the Eloi is more appropiate to today with people becoming dependant like an infant to technology and devices they don't understand and don't care to control. For one, the mass lust for automated cars is completely lost on me how someone would turn their fate over to someone or something else so readily.

South Korea better keep that XBL subscription up otherwise Kim Jong-Un is gonna stroll on in there when the sub goes silver ;)

Great all the North Koreans have to do is yell "XBox Logoff" and they can invade without anyone noticing :D

Back