Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Executioner, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Executioner

Executioner Limp Gawd

2. Biznatch

Biznatch 2[H]4U

So you're running your home install of windows in a KMS environment?..... I seriously doubt that. And you definitely shouldn't be running under the admin account for normal use. You should have a second admin account to elevate as required, just like sudo.

And this is why any sysadmin worth a shit doesn't auto patch production systems..... They patch test machines first to confirm there are no issues before rolling them out to the rest of the users/environments. This 100% applies to linux machines as well, so windows isn't the only OS that can have issues during updates.

Ocellaris likes this.
  3. AnIgnorantPerson

AnIgnorantPerson n00b

thanks for the post. I wonder if this is the issue I am having with Windows 7 Pro. What patch is it in Win7 Pro because i dont see those codes for updates in Win 7 Pro

I am now afraid to reboot my desktop........

On my desktop the only pending ones I see:
    2018-12 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4471987)

Installation date: ‎12/‎12/‎2018 11:07 AM

Installation status: Pending

Error details: Code 80242014

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4471987

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)

Installation date: ‎12/‎12/‎2018 11:05 AM

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

2018-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4471318)

Installation date: ‎12/‎12/‎2018 11:01 AM

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/help/4471318

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/help/4471318

4. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

This happens in KMS environments only. So the only people here that it would affect are sysadmins who use KMS for activation.

AnIgnorantPerson likes this.
  5. Biznatch

Biznatch 2[H]4U

And users who run an account full time that's in the admin group....... which shouldn't be done in that kind of environment either.

6. Executioner

Executioner Limp Gawd

You are correct. I'm just a home user, BUT with all the issues with MS updates, especially with 10, I'm not going to take a chance. I may elect to have it back on only after 4-6 weeks after the update has been out and tested.

7. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

I haven't booted up my Windows 7 machine in a few months...I guess I'll wait awhile longer...I'm sure it was a 'mistake' by Microsoft ;)

8. PliotronX

PliotronX [H]ard|Gawd

Ah microsoft, so friendly to the concept of job security.. A small office today that is a workgroup environment of three computers with one acting as the quickbooks server (I know, a whole different discussion) seemingly would not allow SMB sharing to work. Tried all the usual tricks because local DNS is also not running because it is an ISP supplied router (no forwarding) so relies on LLMNR. Turned out that this update was applied last night LOL.

9. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

It's probably an attempt to start going after the metric shitload of users out there with Windows 10 Enterprise versions (LTSB and LTSC) that are using hacked KMS servers to bypass actual legitimate activation methods. I mean really, probably 95% of the people running Windows 10 Enterprise on desktops and laptops outside of actual business environments aren't doing it legitimately and we all know it. :)

Mazzspeed likes this.
  10. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Guess my definition of bricking isn't the same as this one... o_O [the quote makes it sound like the entire PC is getting bricked, as in not working at all]

11. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

I didn't know this so clearly not everyone knows as you claim.

12. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

Found this site shortly after MS went to the all in one rollup update scheme that included the telemetry updates. https://www.askwoody.com/forums/top...-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/

It maintains a list of what they consider 'safe' updates. The links pull from MS Update so should be safe. Kinda a PITA but a lot less PITA then having your system roached by a malware update that is part of a rollup update.

Executioner and AnIgnorantPerson like this.
  13. Executioner

Executioner Limp Gawd

Interesting site. Thanks. Reading through that, I did have KBKB2952664 installed, so I then uninstalled it. So this is the correct way to update 7 or 8 without the "convenience roll up" that I never liked.

14. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

I can’t believe you keep flame baiting every thread that mentions Microsoft.

Tawnos, AnIgnorantPerson and Tiberian like this.
  15. RogueTrip

RogueTrip 2[H]4U

Ran into this about a week ago where the kb...970 messed up the network on a server 2008 computer.

They released a patch for the network KB4487345 for anyone in the dark.

This is for Win7 and WinServ2008

16. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme

That server 2008 patch got me last Thursday night, fun times the next AM