Microsoft’s HoloLens Could Augment Existing Popular Xbox and PC Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While HoloLens itself may not take off, I think the concept of augmented reality has plenty of potential, particularly after seeing demonstrations such as these. Even if you don’t know a thing about Final Fantasy XIV, you can probably imagine that summoning up maps, inventory screens, and other panels around your primary gaming display would be super useful.

Twitter user @Tanfuku showed a concept for how HoloLens could expand the capabilities of existing games by displaying UI elements outside of the game world. It's something we've theorized as a possibility in the past, but this video gives us a better idea of how it could look in practice. Tanfuku's video shows how HoloLens could be used by the popular MMO Final Fantasy XIV to display stats, maps, inventory menus, and other panels that are entirely necessarily for gameplay, but heavily clutter up the interface. Systems like the Nintendo 3DS and Wii-U also make use of extra displays to show menus, maps, and other UI elements to prevent them from interfering with the main game itself.

O M G.

My wife and I played EQ2 for around 6 years, we would have killed for something like this!!

The problem is, I doubt it'll ever happen. They can do it now with multiple monitor setups, but what? The only games I've seen do something like that is Supreme Commander. Until more gamers go multiple monitor setups, they aren't going to bother. I think like less than 2% of PC gamers even have multiple monitors and a huge percentage has PCs that are lower spec than a PS4/Xbox 1.

wasnt hololens shelved at the consumer lvl?meaning that the last i heard it was moved to professional/industrial solution only since the fov was tiny @ the xb1.

edit to add: Yeap here it is, aprox cost of 3000, breaks pulled on consumer version.. http://www.recode.net/2016/2/18/115...le-microsoft-is-taking-its-time-with-hololens

You're just talking about the dev kit. It wasn't ever sold to normal consumers. It wasn't moved to the professional/industrial solution. It wasn't moved anywhere, cause it's got no market. It's still in development.

Back