Microsoft's foray into the handheld market?

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up anywhere on [H] today. Well, I haven't seen it anywhere, at least.

Well, rumor has it that Microsoft is announcing their handheld system soon (http://www.origamiproject.com), and it just so happens that a video was released highlighting a certain new handheld (if you can call it that) system of sorts earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB7HIPKF1OY

Thoughts? Comments?

That first thing is too much like "The Power of Three" thing. D:

And Youtube is down at the moment.

Haven't checked the link yet (blocked in work) but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is aimed more at the Psalm/Apple (PDA?) market than the handheld games market.

I saw a picture of it playing Halo, and everybody knows you can't fake a picture and put it on the internet.

I was thinking this was more along the lines of a Pepperpad.

This seems more like Microsofts idea of an extension to your PC / laptop than a handheld. Because it isn't really a handheld and the functionality they show in the YouTube video would also make it much too expensive to be competitive in the handheld market.

EDIT: Engadget described this as an "ultra-mobile lifestyle pc"

BladeMrk said:
Haven't checked the link yet (blocked in work) but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is aimed more at the Psalm/Apple (PDA?) market than the handheld games market.
It's too big to take on the PDA market and it was shown playing Halo. I think a handheld cinder block with that amount of 3D power is going to be aimed at the gaming market.

I think it IS aimed at the tablet PC market... and if it isn't, good luck to them. The PSP hasn't been able to crack Nintendo's handheld dominance much, with it's "jack of all trades, master of none" strategy... and it's "double the price" strategy either :p

Wondernerd said:
I saw a picture of it playing Halo, and everybody knows you can't fake a picture and put it on the internet.
Actually, that picture was an official Microsoft-released picture, but there's two things that suck about it:

It's from a year ago
Microsoft sez "The picture was just a concept image detailing possible functions..."

I'm thinking it's aimed more at taking on the ultra-portable laptop market, kinda like those little touchpads every sci-fi show/GitS season has.

People jump to the conclusion that the "Halo" shown in the video is the xbox version. It's more than likely the PC version on a tablet type of device.

God that thing is ugly, not to mention huge. I'm sorry, but its not a handheld if you cant fit the damn thing in your pocket. Not to mention I read that it is gonna be 500-800 dollars. That is bs, you suck Microsoft.

I sometimes wonder if Microsoft had made the iPod, sold it for 20 dollars and gave a free kitten with every purchase if there still wouldn't be people saying "Wtf? Only one kitten? M$ sucks!"

800 dollars for either a tablet PC or an Ultra Mobile PC isn't bad. The OQO is still 2 grand, and I think the baseline for tablets is 1000.

And there is always the possibilty of a new design(Microsoft said the leaked video is old), or the device only existing as a part of the "Digital Lifestyle" that tech companies get hard ons for.

Wondernerd said:
I sometimes wonder if Microsoft had made the iPod, sold it for 20 dollars and gave a free kitten with every purchase if there still wouldn't be people saying "Wtf? Only one kitten? M$ sucks!"

800 dollars for either a tablet PC or an Ultra Mobile PC isn't bad. The OQO is still 2 grand, and I think the baseline for tablets is 1000.

And there is always the possibilty of a new design(Microsoft said the leaked video is old), or the device only existing as a part of the "Digital Lifestyle" that tech companies get hard ons for.
It's impractical, though. For a gaming machine, at least... or even a mp3 player.

It's the size of a tablet PC, looks like a tablet PC, but is being aimed at the gaming market (the buttons are horrible), and the mp3 player market (who's really going to carry around a tablet PC just for the music?).

I really hope they redid the design of the thing... for their sake.
God knows how much money they already wasted recording that preview video already...

The18thLetter said:
It's impractical, though. For a gaming machine, at least... or even a mp3 player.

It's the size of a tablet PC, looks like a tablet PC, but is being aimed at the gaming market (the buttons are horrible), and the mp3 player market (who's really going to carry around a tablet PC just for the music?).

I really hope they redid the design of the thing... for their sake.
God knows how much money they already wasted recording that preview video already...
Who said it was being aimed at the gaming market? The Halo picture was only one of many of the functions it could perform, and MS themselves said that it was supposed to be a "lifestyle" tablet-pc/ultraportable laptop competitor. Kinda like what the PSP is trying (and failing) to do.

Think "portable media center extender + LocationFree player with a screen"

I dont think its main use is really for a gaming machine or mp3 player.

It seems more like something you would take to school and use for notes, or something you would see doctors carrying around at a hospital.

hignaki said:
Who said it was being aimed at the gaming market? The Halo picture was only one of many of the functions it could perform, and MS themselves said that it was supposed to be a "lifestyle" tablet-pc/ultraportable laptop competitor. Kinda like what the PSP is trying (and failing) to do.

Think "portable media center extender + LocationFree player with a screen"
Not outright AIMED at that SOLE market. I meant aimed at all these markets simultaneously (handheld gaming device, mp3/iPod, etc.).

Sorry, should've made it more clear.

Just like the PSP is aiming at 3 markets at once (gaming, mp3/iPod, portable DVD/video player)...

Back