Microsoft’s Edge Browser Is in Serious Trouble

You missed one. When you click "set as default browser" in Firefox or likely other browsers, Windows 10 will only take you to the defaults page where you can change it. Once you select a browser other than Edge, Windows will ask if you're sure you don't want to give edge a try. The option to switch is in small print below the big, stick with edge button.
I noticed Win 10 OS is now like a desperate shoe or car salesman also.

Honestly they had to as Edge would crash on me when i tried to use it originally. IIRC the first time I installed windows I have to use IE to get the chrome download

They should've just renamed ie as edge prior to win 10, then with win 10 launch the new edge as edge, and remove the old 'edge'. That way bug's would actually get reported and fixed perhaps.

Our lab stations are forced default installations of Windows 10 with only Edge. It is annoying Edge will open the lame welcoming page with the speed graphs.

What is good about Edge? I haven't seen any reason to switch to it from Chrome. It's be a pain in the behind to get all my startup tabs, bookmarks, and addons moved over, even if the addons could get moved over. They don't even have a cache clear type addon.

It's faster/smoother IMO. The scrolling speed of Edge compared to Chrome/Firefox is pretty noticeable on a properly configured system. Enough that while I miss the features of Chrome that I prefer to use Edge.

Now, I will say that Chrome in particular will actually load a complete page faster - But the actual scrolling has a slight amount of stutter involved. I'll take the smoother experience of Edge with mildly longer page load times.

I will go to my grave hating any web browser MS creates because my brain is forever scarred by the abomination that was IE6.

Problem with Edge is that it has the ability not to be terrible - it is fast, and its use of hardware acceleration makes the experience smoother than using Chrome (for example, scrolling through a grid of thousands of rows, or multitudes of css/javascript animations/transitions). It supports most web standards, although I do run into trouble with it's page rendering on occasion. The biggest bane for me with Edge is its ugly hybrid/tablet interface. It just feels clunky and cheap to me.

It's acceptable for running A Web App. Meaning you launch something, and stay completely inside the browser content frame.

It's actual UI is a shitshow which makes FireFox 3 look like a nirvana of cool usability and features.

I use edge most of the time, sometimes chrome and rarely firefox.

Why? Because why not, I started using it because it had better autocomplete, its just a browser.

That said I can see a lot of places MS screwed up. Allowing IE 11 to ship along side it was a mistake. MS is stuck way to often with keeping older products running. Edge is a lot like windows phone, it came late to the party and it takes them a long time to aquire features other browsers have , including IE 11. What MS should have done is stop trying to rebrand a new product and just double down on making the product they have work well. Give people no reason to switch and far less will. Most people are not tech enthusiasts and all they need is something to just use the internet.

Also in recent years Google has grown so much and every service you go to of their spams for you to install chrome. I am sure that gets some to switch. Another reason why MS should not have given up on windows phone.

I'm trying to remember.... isn't Edge supposed to come out with some future update that runs each tab as a type of virtual app (like a VM) that is 'separated' from the OS? Meaning... much ore difficult for browsing to cause problems on your PC? Whoever was doing that - sounded good to me.

Problem with Edge is that it has the ability not to be terrible - it is fast, and its use of hardware acceleration makes the experience smoother than using Chrome (for example, scrolling through a grid of thousands of rows, or multitudes of css/javascript animations/transitions). It supports most web standards, although I do run into trouble with it's page rendering on occasion. The biggest bane for me with Edge is its ugly hybrid/tablet interface. It just feels clunky and cheap to me.
Edge is getting closer to full HTML5 support with each new version, so at least there is that. It is now tied with Firefox in that regard. When Edge first came out it was worse than IE9 was with HTML4.

At my job, one of the first things I do after a new install is reconfigure the default's on 10. Step one, switch browser to Chrome, and have Explorer and Firefox as backups for those sites that Chrome doesn't play nice with. Step two, switch open 'PDF's from Edge back to Adobe. Too me, one of the most invasive parts of Edge is how it likes to hijack so many default file types and I'm pretty sure that also led to the artificial numbers regarding its adoption. Seriously, some day Edge might be something nice but right now its still a steaming pile of. . . .

9TxWoa9.png

I will go to my grave hating any web browser MS creates because my brain is forever scarred by the abomination that was IE6.

Hey, IE6 wasn't too bad in 2001, when it was released. I mean, it was never great, but it was better than ie5 and it's not like Mozilla was releasing anything good until maybe 2005 (firefox 1.5)? The problem with ie6 is microsoft thought it was done with browsers, and didn't release ie7 until 2006.

I'd also like to see Edge implement an application mode as Chrome does. Running web applications without the top address bar/tab area bloat is quite nice.

Edge is, however, the best touch browser for internet. It's also the most fluid. I do like it and would use it but its extensions are not as good as Chrome. Still, having Adblock for Edge was a huge step up.

I use Edge and it works fine.

I have always asked myself when I am forced to use edge.... do any of the developers actually know how the customers use a browser?

Seems to me we keep getting forced down this path of here’s this thing use it how we think it should be used.... then we get it and for the most part it’s a pile of crap.

To me edge works as a last resort..other than that it’s fairly useless

Waiting on the shilling luddites to post about how great Edge is.
Eh...I'd not say that. I don't have any big problem with Edge, but I'm so used to Chrome that I can't see switching. But, I do use Edge for Amazon and Netflix streaming. Just seems to run smoother (and IIRC, supports more audio options).

Back