Microsoft's Bing Blocked by Browsers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft’s Bing search engine is having a bit of a problem with its Security Certificates and is being blocked by most browsers as an untrusted site.

The certificate, which was apparently misconfigured by Akamai (which front-ends Bing for Microsoft), threw up warnings on browsers—including Internet Explorer—that the site might be fraudulent.

Yes, and it is much better than google for me. :) Of course, oh the shock, oh the horror, Wrench hates on another Microsoft product. :eek::D

I use bing for searches more than I use google. At least bing doesn't prompt me to fuck up my OS and my Office applications with chrome.

Eh, I prefer Google's spartan interface. I don't go to search engines for backgrounds of fuzzy animals and flowers.

I hear Bing delivers better search results but I still prefer Google....minimalist design is getting a bit cluttered but still excellent

Bing works a lot better for me than Google does. I still visit Google occasionally, but Bing results are much better for me with general search, shopping, images....

Oh, yea. I forgot. This is 2002. Micro$haft Suxors!

I have nothing against Bing whatsoever. I continue to use Google mostly out of inertia and I suspect that many people are in the same boat.

I have nothing against Bing whatsoever. I continue to use Google mostly out of inertia and I suspect that many people are in the same boat.

Yup...I honestly had to google the URL for Bing once. :cool:

I continue to use Google mostly out of inertia and I suspect that many people are in the same boat.

I think most people are like that, personally. Google made such a huge impact, that people even say "Google it" instead of just "Search it". No matter what experience you have online, you know what Google does.

People have used it for a long time, it gets the job done and it works well. I prefer Bing after forcing myself to go with it. It took a while to stop using Google, though. Bing does have some amazing pictures, daily, though! :)

I still use Google because it still has more relevant searches, simple as that. I also don't like in USA so bing is completely useless to me.
I also despise the name Bing. I rather use Yahoo

Bing's image search is a lot better now that Google blocks potentially suggestive images unless you specifically ask for that type of content, even with safe search off.

In other news, Microsoft is challenging the malware claims on its Bing site.

I can't help but giggle a bit at Microsoft's justification;

“We don’t explicitly remove malicious sites from the index because most are legitimate sites that normally don’t host malware but have been hacked,” Felstead writes. “Our research shows that if sites like this remain infected for a long period of time, their ranking will naturally fall because customers won’t click on them.”

Apparently Microsoft isn't aware that most users are dumber than a bag full of hammers.

In other news, Microsoft is challenging the malware claims on its Bing site.

I love MS reasoning..

Just because its so seldom its OK.

Kinda of the same excuse given for Security Essentials sucking.. Our antivirus software is shitier then some one else but thats ok because it most likely wont effect you.

I love the logic.. Background checks to buy guns are not needed because Mentally unstable people rarely get guns to commit mass shootings in schools..

I can't help but giggle a bit at Microsoft's justification;

Apparently Microsoft isn't aware that most users are dumber than a bag full of hammers.

Exactly.

I can't trust 98% of the people I've fixed their computers for to be on the internet. It's like giving the keys to a teenager that texts and drives on the freeway.

That's right little ones, Uncle Google is so much better at servicing you needs. Search with Uncle Google and you'll make it better for us both. Heh heh!

Looking at a site I work on sometime's referral traffic, it's pretty much always like this:

Googles (COM/UK/CA/FR/DE/IT etc.)
Yahoo image: 1.5%
Direct URLs: 1.2%
Google Mexico: 1%
Bing: 0.7%

Yes ok Heatlessun what ever you say.

:D Lol. :D Hey, I use what works and what I enjoy using. I guess I just do not see much point anymore in insulting a product or it purposes like I once did many years ago. Well, we all realize that eventually, it just is not worth doing it anymore, oh well.

I use Bing way more than I use Google now as well *shrugs* I like it's search results more.

All this trouble...for what?

This is something that MS should be doing, NOT handing it over to someone else. This is just an example of a kind of thinking that I've been commenting on for a while now. This is crazy. MS with all their money and resources and it has to be like this??? I'm supposed to trust them and yet they provide such proof that they can't be bothered to take some of the simplest responsibilities any more seriously.

All this trouble...for what?

This is something that MS should be doing, NOT handing it over to someone else. This is just an example of a kind of thinking that I've been commenting on for a while now. This is crazy. MS with all their money and resources and it has to be like this??? I'm supposed to trust them and yet they provide such proof that they can't be bothered to take some of the simplest responsibilities any more seriously.

Come on guy, how about you read the article for a change. :rolleyes: The issue is far more than just Microsoft being affected. Also, this type of certificate cannot be done by just anybody. (Not in a technical sense but in a legal sense.) SSL certificates are not just handed out to anyone that wants one after all.

Oh, and it was the HTTPS, not the HTTP site that was being redirected. But, I am guessing you did not know that either. Any chance to bash Microsoft and all that, eh?

HAHAH. Couldn't happen to a better bunch of idiots.

So, having your SSL certificate not work is a good thing then, eh? If you bothered reading the article, which seems obvious that you did not, it happened to quite a few businesses. You know, like target and nba among others.

Come on guy, how about you read the article for a change. :rolleyes: The issue is far more than just Microsoft being affected. Also, this type of certificate cannot be done by just anybody. (Not in a technical sense but in a legal sense.) SSL certificates are not just handed out to anyone that wants one after all.

Oh, and it was the HTTPS, not the HTTP site that was being redirected. But, I am guessing you did not know that either. Any chance to bash Microsoft and all that, eh?

We're not talking about just anyone. This is Microsoft. It's not just MS, Apple should be held to the same standards. We're not dealing with some Joe Blow out there. This company has very important connections all over the planet. Technical sense OR legal sense, either way...same thing when it comes to MS.

The difference between HTTPS and HTTP is meaningless here.

We're not talking about just anyone. This is Microsoft. It's not just MS, Apple should be held to the same standards. We're not dealing with some Joe Blow out there. This company has very important connections all over the planet. Technical sense OR legal sense, either way...same thing when it comes to MS.

The difference between HTTPS and HTTP is meaningless here.

You are kidding, right? There is no real difference between HTTPS and HTTP here? SSL and not having an SSL is the same then? On a non technical forum you might be able to get away with that, but here, it just is not going to happen.

Microsoft, Apple, Google, Target, NBA and others do not provide their own SSL certificates. A third party is required for that. I will remember this when your favorite companies get hit and you try to defend them.

I didn't say they were the same thing....
I said the difference is meaning HERE. It's not the point.

I didn't say they were the same thing....
I said the difference is meaning HERE. It's not the point.

Then is it Akamai that should be held to that standard. After all, they are the ones that messed up.

favorite companies?

Go back through everything I've ever posted on this site and think about that.

I'm tired of hearing about so much trouble from so many companies because of dumb things done in dumb ways. It's not just MS.

Wether or not MS is legally bound and required to go through a third party for certificates is one thing. MS (just like Apple and certain others) still has obligations to make sure things are what they should be.

This is not really any different from blaming a thief (when it's in the nature of a thief) when people refuse to lockup their valuables. Who has the bigger responsibility here? Who is the bigger fool?

Back